German Shepherds Forum banner

Housetraining

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ausdland 
#1 · (Edited)
So i had this puppy for like a month i got him used to pooping outside by giving him a treat each time and some times hit him lightly while pooping inside. Now its been 3 weeks since he pooped in doors. He got used to me takin him out 3 times a day at the same times to a place where he can poop. and a couple more times for peeing.
I ve been happy about this for 3 weeks

Now yesterday he decides to pee in my room twice. I just cleaned up and ignored it.
And today i woke up finding poop in the hallway.
I got pissed off and i hit him.
Wth why did he all of a sudden forget what i taught him !!!!! What do i do if this behaviour continues ?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Hit yourself for hitting a literal child who has no idea what's going on, and don't hit him again.

2. Have lots of patience because he is a literal child who has no idea what's going on.

3. Let him out waaay more than 3 times per day (after eating/drinking, waking up from a nap, playing, etc.) because he is a literal child who has no idea what's going on.

Take him out frequently, praise him like nuts when he goes outside, always be on watch for sniffing and circling behavior inside, and hang onto that patience. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: ausdland
#3 ·
The problem is he always poops 7-8 am when i take him out. I woke up at 6 and he already did it... for 3 weeks he knows what he's doing he always waited for me to take him out..therefore He knows what's goin on and that he has to wait. This is just being a bad dog.
Also i do take him out alot of times to pee way more than 3.
I was talkin about poop when i said 3!

#4 ·
That little guy is still a puppy. Accidents happen and no one is going to condone you hitting him. Just because the puppy has a good streak doesn't mean he's bomb proof and won't have an accident here and there. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you aren't supervising him enough to catch when he needs to go out. Therefore he's gotta go somewhere right?

When you're potty training he needs to be in a crate or being supervised so you don't have accidents. Oh and it probably doesn't need to be said but I'll say it anyway stop hitting the dog for your failures

#5 ·
U're talkin about hitting like i m torturing the guy xD. Just a little slap or tap on the head to punish bad behaviour that's all.
I dont want him in a crate i want him to roam freely.
Besides he's not an autist that needs to be supervised 24/24. he's not mentally impaired or a handicap! puppies understand and have personality. U're talkin like they're dumb...
He can distinguish bad from good. Punishment and reward.

#6 ·
Think of this as an 18 month old toddler. Maybe he's 99% potty trained but if he had an accident would you slap the toddler in the head? You want him to roam free then live with the consequences of him having accidents because of your lack of supervision. That dog in the pic is too young to be bomb proof with anything so it's unfair that you hit him at this point. And to be honest if he gets a slap on the head for you mistake I hate to see what you do to the poor bast**d when he chews a hole in your couch or something.

#7 ·
Yea it seems like an accident.. must be.
Also he did in fact chew a hole in my couch xD. And that was my fault cause i didnt give him anything to chew so i just got him a bunch of chews and a rag and he left the fourniture alone. See? he knows what's up.
But ok, I'll refrain from hitting him when "accidents" happen.

#8 ·
You seem very argumentative for someone who came here asking for help. So you were able to see that your dog needed something to chew on but unable to see that he needs more work house training? House training isn't the most difficult thing in the world but it requires patience and consistency. How old is the dog?

#9 ·
He's 9 weeks now.
I was askin for opinions! Cause i thought i successfully house trained him. Fail...
But hitting dogs is apparently a crime arroud here xD.
And btw how do u stop the biting ? He also stopped biting a while ago but came back to it recently!
I dont mind it now but when he grows up....
and i can't have him biting other people who want to pet him too.

#10 ·
Ahh so here's the nitty gritty, it's a baby!! She's only just barely left the breeder if she came from a reputable breeder. No way shape or form is she potty trained yet. She can free roam later but right now she needs to be crate trained. That's going to be a huge help with the accidents in the meantime. Like I said before lots of supervision and plenty of bathroom breaks is key too. As for the biting, they're mouthy dogs. It's their way of communicating with you. You can redirect her biting to a toy or what I've always done with mouthy dogs is pull them back to a sit by the collar and give them a verbal correction, NO!, or something along those lines. As with everything else it's gonna take time so be patient.

As far as the hitting goes, yea it's big time frowned upon with a puppy that young. I'm not opposed to a physical correction with a mature dog under certain circumstances but it shouldn't be a first resort and especially not with a 9 week old puppy, because you were pissed.

Be patient, ask questions, and good luck with the puppy

#11 ·
I got berated for giving my pup a smack when she was 6 months old and bit me hard. In hindsight I wish I had more restraint. She learned to fear me that day and I don't like that at all!
Please don't smack your puppy for potty accidents and chewing everything up. It's your job to make sure those things don't happen. Hope you can exercise more patience and restraint. The pay off will be a well adjusted, happy dog not a fear based aggressive dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.