German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy biting, pulling leash etc.

898 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  thegooseman90 
#1 ·
We will be in the house and out of no where my puppy will bite me. I've tried everything. When we go outside he is either pulling on the leash, barking at people or biting my ankles while we are walking. He is really good with commands but when we go outside I cannot get him to sit for me at all. Any ideas of what I could try.

#2 ·
Puppy biting is normal. Their mouths are like a humans hands in terms of function, and a puppy is like a toddler. You don't want to teach your puppy that using it's mouth is bad, but you do want to teach it what it can use it's mouth on. So keep chew toys hand and when your puppy comes to bite you, give it a "No" and hand it a chew toy and let him play with it. It takes time but eventually he will learn what he can and can't chew on, just as a toddler learns that he can play with his toys, but not with the TV remote.

#4 ·
adding in distractions takes time. He might do great inside with zero distraction but going outside with distractions is starting all over. Add in some distractions little by little. Gradually get further and further away for recalls etc. as for the biting as others have said keep some toys near by but what's always worked for me is a verbal correction and (eh-eh, NO!, etc) and a reset - i.e. Pull him away by the collar, move him to a sit, etc. they get the idea eventually that biting isn't ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.