German Shepherds Forum banner

20 week old puppy peeing whenever touched.

11K views 91 replies 24 participants last post by  Dionne2u 
#1 ·
So this problem has started within the last three/four weeks with me and it has been a constant thing towards my boyfriend.
Our puppy is to the point you can't touch her, sometimes not even look at her, put a leash on her, let her out of her crate, and many other things without peeing. Even if we dont make any eye contact and open the crate she will come out and pee.
We have had to keep the crate in the kitchen to avoid ruing carpets.
We have tried several different approaches to try and fix the problem. From straight ignoring it and taking her outside to giving her a treat as we walk by the crate before we take her out. Nothing is working and it seems to be getting worse. I've even tried asking her to go into a sit/shaking paws, laying down, and other things to distract her from peeing (which worked for a while until she just basically started peeing on herself)
We haven't done anything to the puppy to make her scared of us hasn't been hit or anything like that. She was always wonderful about not having general accidents in the house so it isn't a house breaking problem.
I've read many and many forms and we have tried everything with no luck.
It is really stressing and almost making me regret getting a puppy I've had many GSD puppies throughout the years and never had this problem. I've had a couple that would pee when excited, but this isn't excitement. Definitely submissive peeing, however, nothing we have done is helping this.
You name something we have problem tried it. I kind of blame myself for being stupid and not purchasing from a reputable breeder...
I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has had a problem this extreme and has over came it.. I need to see some light in the tunnel.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have also from the time we got her spent a lot of time on the floor playing with her, taking her places with me, and overall just spending a lot of time training and socializing her.
I talked to the vet who was absolutely no help and just gave me a hand out of things I have already been trying.

#3 ·
How do you react when she piddles?

#4 ·
Pretty much nothing just taking her outside. That's how we have been doing it. We say nothing to her don't really even look at her and take her outside and give her praise when she goes outside (which we stopped doing the praise because it just makes her pee again).

#6 ·
Most dogs grow out of it by the time they hit 7-8 months. My general MO with dogs like that is ignore it but I take special steps to try to get them outside to potty before making physical contact and sometimes before eye contact.

You're trying to minimize the chances the event happens because you don't want people to become a classical conditioned cue to submissive urinate that lasts into adulthood. After they pee sometimes you can play a little rough with them to get them to toughen up a little. Pretend to lose to them that sort of thing. Make em feel good. Keep excited greetings from happening always be super matter of fact on greetings and don't get them excited. This kind of thing is mostly grown out of. You just need to do your best to avoid or mitigate triggers.

#7 ·
The issue with her is basically EVERYTHING is a trigger. I mostly can't come in contact with this dog without it happening.
Before I let her out when we get home I wait 10-15 mins. If she is already out and just in a certain mood even taking her outside or touching her is like walking on pin needles.
I will literally not speak to her turn my back and loop the leash over her head and by time of slowly doing all that she will have already peed. We won't touch her or look at her. I don't know what to do to avoid it from happening because I literally have as less contact with her as I can while still trying to take her out.

#8 ·
Do you want to try hand-feeding her while petting her? She can't be peeing while eating right? Maybe try throw treats at her for eye contact? Does she look at you when you say her name? Also maybe try carrying her outside? I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I have yet known a dog who pees while being carried. I am no expert but best of luck!

#13 ·
I have done handfeeding, but haven't had much time lately to do so, she does look at me when I call her name and if she's in a certain mood she'll come up and just pee, and I haven't tried carrying her outside since she was just a few weeks old. However, she would probably pee when I went to pick her up... I'm just at a loss on what to do ? feels like I've tried everything.

#12 ·
I mentioned this to the vet they told me because she's not having accidents other than being touched it wasn't that. Basically blew me off and didn't do the test to at least rule that out. However, it does make sense for that to not be the problem. If so I figured she'd constantly soil her crate and pee in the house whenever.

#15 ·
Disclaimer: I'm not a trainer or a behaviorist. What I would try if you have a fenced yard. Put the crate as near the door outside as possible. Open door to outside, then open crate and let her go out on her own. Follow her out once she is out the door. Praise when she goes potty in the appropriate place (outside). Then I would take a few minuted to engage in some bonding. A game of fetch or some tug letting pup win. I would talk a lot to her in a fun, happy tone the whole time. Or just some petting (if the pup pees it's no big deal you are outside). Practice putting on the leash and letting her just walk around dragging it while you supervise. Again if she pees while you leash her it's no big deal if you are already outside. When outside time is over continue the bonding immediately inside with talking casually to her, petting etc. for a few minutes. Just an idea of something to try if you haven't already.

#16 · (Edited)
You really need to get a Vet Check to rule out as was stated a "UTI." Then if it's not medical, then yes it's behavioural and it most likely is behavioural but you don't really know??

If it's not medical ... then yes it's behavioural so what to do??? You could make your life a bit easier by using a diaper.

Washable Dog Diapers | Dog Diapers | Doggy Diapers | Handicapped Pets

And from there I'm gonna still a march on "bailiff" and suggest you start to work on training "Place" and doing "Sit on the Dog." Those things help to "train calmness" into a dog and should be done in anycase. Maybe those things will help going forward???

Place and Sit on the dog are here.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

#17 ·
You really need to get a Vet Check to rule out as was stated a "UTI." Then if it's not medical, then yes it's behavioural and it most likely is behavioural but you don't really know??

If it's not medical ... then yes it's behavioural so what to do??? You could make your life a bit easier by using a diaper.

Washable Dog Diapers | Dog Diapers | Doggy Diapers | Handicapped Pets

And from there I'm gonna still a march on "bailiff" and suggest you start to work on training "Place" and doing "Sit on the Dog." Those things help to "train calmness" into a dog and should be done in anycase. Maybe those things will help going forward???

Place and Sit on the dog are here.:

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Can you please explain how sit on the dog, or place would help a dog that is possibly urinating out of fear or submission?

#21 ·
try some breathing exercises or something to calm yourself down before you interact with your dog the first time for sure. I sense there is some major projection going on. As you are avoiding your eyes turning your back, moving slow....thinking... "my dog is about to pee and there is nothing I can do about it." So calm yourself. Obviously there are more underlying issues but this will help.

I am a Law of Attraction type of person though. "thoughts become things." Next time you go to let your dog out, tell yourself, out loud, and your dog, that business will be handled the right way today... Say it like it already happened...Thats a mental side of it...

Maybe next time you leash her... Lay on the ground while you do it. Get low on her level or lower.

also, this is a frustrating thing. Frustrations lead to anger, anger leads to a scared puppy. clear your heads before interacting. Stay positive. It'll most likely work itself out but can lead to a huge problem if it compounds.

#30 ·
Yea I turn my back and don't make eye contact because it makes her more uncomfortable when I face her I'm more dominate looking there's not projection going on there's the fact that I know what will maker her pee.
I've tried sitting on the floor and putting the leash on her she will still pee and sometimes halfway get in my lap and pee. I never show her that I"m angry about it because I know that'll obviously scare her more and make things worse.

#26 ·
I've tried most of what you've mentioned. However, I do not have a fenced in yard and she no longer will listen if she sees someone else walking their dog.
I will have to try the playing with her outside after pottying more consistent and see if that helps.

#27 ·
I think I've spoken with you about sit the dog before and we have been doing that... it is all confusing I don't know... it pays to get a dog from a reputable breeder I've never had to deal with this before.
I will though go up there and have them run a test if they refuse and blow me off I'll just switch vets, but I don't think she has one but I would like to 100% rule it out

#28 ·
I've tried everything in that article as I've stated and she's still continuing to have problems, actually she's getting worse.
I'll probably end up sending her to a behaviorist, because I've literally tried everything mentioned.

#34 ·
There is a "distinction" between "Place" and "Sit on the Dog."

In a nutshell with "Place" a properly trained dog, you can point and say "Place" if the need is there to add "Place" as a verbal?? You can't do that with "Sit on the Dog" it's pretty much that simple.

Op has already stated "Sit on the dog" did not seem to helpful?? Good enough ... so my post here was merely just to be clear on the difference between the two. :)

As my one "easy dog" clearly understands the distinction ... I'm good. :)

#37 ·
Ok, so I am going to throw out a crazy idea. Just forget about it for a bit, let her out of her crate and have a big ole party, totally ignore the pee but show her how happy you are to be with her, when she comes over, show her how happy you are to see her. You guys have been trying everything to decrease the piddle problem and its probably freaking out your puppy. You wont give her eye contact, you ignore her in the crate and when coming out of the crate. She is just trying to tell you that she is a good girl, hence the peeing. But you are always ignoring her, so she tries harder.

So get a carpet cleaner and just show her how wonderful she is, give her some confidence in your love and affection and deal with the piddle for a few weeks, get her out, get her doing things let her be a full part of the family and stop being upset by her show of "im a good girl, see i am submissive, love me" You are unknowingly making such a huge deal of the piddle issue that its making it a bigger issue.

I know, crazy idea. But submissive urination is only solved by raising a confident puppy. Give them something to succeed at, all the time.

#38 · (Edited)
That is too simplistic. Every dog needs training. And every dog has some problems. Some of the best bred dogs are extremely high drive and take a skilled owner to handle them. The difference is an experienced owner has learned to handle them. I'm glad the OP shared her problem and is looking for solutions. I had a submissive dog and I gave the dog confidence through many experiences. I had help even though I was experienced because I had never had a dog like that before.

#52 ·
The dog goes on car rides with me, goes to the park, goes to PetSmart, tractor supply, and I'm every one of those places we work on sits downs and she loves going and seems happy. However, she gets in her moods and she will pee over anything.

#45 ·
A puppy that submissively urinates is not necessarily uncomfortable around you or afraid to be around you. Crank used to submissively urinate on meetings fairly often and temperament wise he was very strong and very very few things bothered him.

From puppies I've trained that submissively urinated a lot most of that stuff went away when we got into a little bit of horseplay over the course of a few days.

#46 ·
LOL JG ... Ok got it! As for "I used a SSL to Hang" a Dog yes... Once on one occasion. But ... you kinda ... you kinda sorta left out a lot of details. 75 lbs of pure solid muscle, fast and agile (Breed that shall not be mentioned) rescued fresh of the street! With a serious freakin Cat Issue and I have four cats! In 24 hours ... Sally bowed down to my cats!

Good freaking luck to anyone foolish enough to even think ... they had a freaking chance to stop her, if she was not on a freaking leash! Rest assured you have no chance! I changed her attitude, in regards to cats in 24 hours! Cat tested cat approved! People on here tried to tell me I did not do what I had done ... good luck with that. :)

That really sure what that has to do with this thread?? But you know ... people do stuff??

#47 ·
Sigh ... as much as I seem to just enjoy engaging in constant internet combat ... for the "OP" ... put a diaper on the puppy . Walk the puppy, do "Sit on the puppy" and use 5 minutes as a goal. Train place and get on with life, if it's is behavioural ... that should work. The puppy simply does not belive currently that "you" are the right leader for them???

My particular puppy ... I had zero issues with him for 7 months (that I saw) and 7 months late ... it was as I said "Game On." I have not faced, your particular issue but if I did ... what I listed is what I would do. :)

#62 ·
One more idea. It may not be due to being afraid, but excited. Since the puppy is young, you may not know if she is afraid or she is excited. She may get be naturally timid and appear to be scared, but isn't. The causes are different and they do often outgrow it. I did some research and it may last in they are 12 months old.

^^^
That along with a weak sphincter.
Use pee pads as suggested. When she goes on it, you can promptly take her and the pee pad outside, show her, sniff, rub pad in grass where you want her to go, show her, place pee pad down if she tries to go, say "go pee" as she does reward.

I think this is combo of weak sphincter muscles at her age and as gsdsr said, excited, and confusion. She's 20 weeks old.
Note: do not have her altered until she is 100% and at a proper growth for her hormones. Last thing you want is spay incontinence

Reactions: dogma13 and Chip18
#55 ·
I may try that, but I also have problems sometimes getting her to come out of the crate without coming out and going potty but I definitely could try keeping a leash on while she's out and just grabbing the leash instead of having to put it on when it is time to go out.

#56 ·
I mentioned to the vet about possibly a UTI she kinda blew me off and said if it were a UTI or bladder problems she'd be having more actual accidents. Which she doesn't it is just the issue with peeing when approached or touched. Which makes sense, but I'll probably have them do the tests anyways just so I know.

#57 ·
Does she show submissive body language when she urinates? Does she sort of grovel? That would show it is psychological and not a physical disorder I would think.

Reactions: Chip18
#63 ·
Being just a 5 month old puppy I'm just going to throw out there that this is very likely excited urination and not submissive urination as she doesn't always do it (barring medical issue). OP even stated "sometimes she gets in a mood and just walks up and pees". GSDSAR probably has the right idea about not focusing on it for a while.
Expectation on house training and capping excitement may be too high here. Some just take a little longer than others. Frustrating yes but end of the world no. I would bet before you know it your pup will outgrow this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.