German Shepherds Forum banner

Low Energy Working Line Puppy?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Credence 
#1 ·
My boy Credence is from Czech working lines, and both of his parents were high drive and high energy dogs. Since I've brought him home he's been very calm, and tends to lay down or nap as soon as he gets the chance. It's been awhile since I've had a puppy, so I'm thinking maybe that's just his way of coping with the stress of coming to a new place and it'll ease up once he's more comfortable but I'm not sure. He seems healthy otherwise and has a check up appt with our vet just in case (he's already current on vaccinations). It's just such a big difference from the only other working line puppy I've brought home in the past, though back then the puppy was 12 weeks old as opposed to 8 - so I think that may have a lot to do with it. Did anyone else have any working line puppies who were low key at first? Did they get more active after they settled in or did they stay that way?

#2 ·
Others who know more, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a pretty big difference in energy level from a new 8 week old pup and a 12 week old pup who has settled in. At least, that was my experience. My boy will be 4 months tomorrow and his energy level from when I brought him home to now has changed significantly. We've channeled it into working his drives appropriately, training, and off leash hikes and walks so I don't go insane. ;)

#6 ·
Thanks!! I think I'm just worrying for nothing, I finally got him to play with a ball and walk around in the yard a bit earlier. I think I'm just used to the energy level of older puppies is all! Who knows, in a few weeks I might be wishing he was as calm as he is now!

Reactions: Spetzio
#7 ·
I had the same worries you did! I was asking some friends why he didn't really like to walk or do much outside before he'd go back to sleep. Now I'm definitely eating those words. ;) My guy knows how to settle in the house (most nights, haha), but when we're out hiking he definitely has a lot more stamina and can go past when I'm tired and ready to go home. x)

#8 ·
He sounds great! I'd definitely like to start with training once he's settled in and taking him hiking when he's a bit bigger because our pit and dane both love going on weekend hikes! So I'm hoping once he's got a bit more energy he'll be able to tag along as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.