Am I Choking Him???!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Am I Choking Him???!!!

Sometimes when Walking Dutch, he gets so crazy biting and twisting my arm behind me that the only way to stop him is to hold him up by his (padded martingale) collar ! I try to make sure the collar is under his chin and not down by his throat but honestly.... he gags and chokes and I wonder if I'm hurting his larynx . Honestly... I almost hang him at some points... front feet off the ground before he stops. I feel so guilty about it and don't want to hurt him... He is 4 1/2 months now and weighs 45lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Of course it hurts him and chokes him.Two suggestions for you:#1 more off leash time to go at his own pace as opposed to plodding along at a human pace.
#2 stop him immediately when he begins the unwanted behavior,don't allow it to escalate.A prong collar is actually more humane than a martingale.It tightens evenly around the neck and doesn't choke.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

OP: Yes you are choking him (why is this even a question?!) and it is abusive! Get educated and get a good trainer to help you.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Knighted Member

Why are you using a Martingale? They are designed to prevent a dog from slipping out of the collar. They are not training collars and should not be used to stop a behavior. Work on loose leash walking and paying attention to you to stop the behavior. He needs training.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

A prong collar could make all the difference in this dog, but if it's the same thing and your pup is still pulling this much then there's something more serious going on. Find a reputable trainer.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Master Member

My pup was a major puller, still is in a harness. I went to a pinch collar at a young age like your puppy. It helped but that's so young. There are great videos around here that show how to train a puppy to loose leash walk on a flat collar. That's where I'll start next time.
Stormywx likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
OP: Yes you are choking him (why is this even a question?!) and it is abusive! Get educated and get a good trainer to help you.
I can tell you, I do not or have ever abused any of my dogs!... I HAVE educated myself and taken every dog I ever had to a trainer. The reason it "is a question" is because MY TRAINER has advised me that when he starts biting and totally loosing it (when we are on a walk) to raise the collar under his chin ( to try to avoid his larynx ) and try to hold him at arms length to keep him from being able to reach me until he calms down (its really over active play he is doing) Soooo, that's what I'm doing but I felt it may hurt him so I thought I would ask for advice here... I appreciate the advice I get from some of the helpful people on this site... to answer others questions, I bought the martingale collar at the advice of others on the site... The one thing I can totally see I need to do is take him where he can have more off leash time... instead of 4 walks a day going to parks where its always on leash ...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Actually he walks fairly well loose leash... until distracted of course... but hes young and we are working on it. We go to puppy training twice a week and he does great with place, stay its just that I think he gets bored on the walk and then freaks out... biting and trying to grab my clothes and body. I have thought about a prong collar (have used them in the past) but wondered if he was to young.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17212244_10212348720092044_4513060253963387168_o.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	413321  
Diegotxe likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Elite Member

Have you tried to engage in play when he acts all bitey and crazy. I would just stop and step on his leash to put him into a down. When he calms down and is still for a second tell him "good boy" and play tug. Eventually he will learn that when he does what you say he will get rewarded with play. sounds like he gets bored and needs to release some energy. Also sounds like he may have a desire to bite. May as well let him bite something appropriate.
Breaker's mom likes this.

I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Have you tried to engage in play when he acts all bitey and crazy. I would just stop and step on his leash to put him into a down. When he calms down and is still for a second tell him "good boy" and play tug. Eventually he will learn that when he does what you say he will get rewarded with play. sounds like he gets bored and needs to release some energy. Also sounds like he may have a desire to bite. May as well let him bite something appropriate.
I will definitely try the stepping on the leash.... I had forgotten that, My trainer actually did say that. Thanks so much... I'm just hoping the biting will end when the teething ends... He has gotten better but that wanting to bite and dominate when he's frustrated is something I work on all the time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page