Did I just have a puppy alpha standoff? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Did I just have a puppy alpha standoff?

There I was...taking an early evening walk to pick up some mail and before feeding Tuckie. While outside, we practiced some eye contact, some sitting, and some leash control. I was excited, because he is better paying attention to me outside. Plus, he pooped and pee'd! It was a beautiful early evening, until "it" happened.

I am not really sure what "it" was, but once we got to the door he was doing his usual sniffing around, but he was taking longer than normal and it was time to go in. He normally darts in the door, so I usually try and take the leash off as soon as we are in, as to not get caught in case he does his psycho merry-go-round run. This time, however, as the leash came off he was trying to go back outside. I of course blocked him from leaving and then he kinda snapped. He growled at me and nipped at my knee.

I of course reacted by yelling, "who the heck (G-rated) do you think you are" and grabbed his collar where he couldn't bite me and tried to get him to "sit," but he preferred to still try and bite me. Using one of the letters in my hand, I hit his nose and commanded, "SIT!!"

It was like I turned off a switch. There was no whimpering or anything (it's just a letter), but he immediately sat when told. Then "down," follow by "come" when I went into the kitchen. The drastic turn around caught me off guard. I ended playing with him for a couple of minutes, hoping I was rewarding his good behavior and not the bad. I then fed my little psycho pup.

After eating, he was found laying on my shoes, as the picture shows.

For the more experienced people, what in the world did I just go through with my pup? Was this a case of a pup being overtired? An alpha moment? Can dogs be schizophrenic? Hahah...no, seriously...can they?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuckie_2 Mar 17.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	412753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

That baby isn't going alpha on you.

We weren't there, and have no idea why your puppy might have growled and nipped. My guess is that he wanted to play more, and puppies play by growling and nipping. So it sounds like he was a bit ramped up.

You squashed that with your letter. And then I think he tried to please and appease you.
Chip18, georgy girl and GSDTuckie like this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like he got the message. They don't pull that stuff off with their own parents after the puppy license has expired. I had a similar situation happen with a male pup in the pas. came inside and was greeeted with a punture wound by my 4 month old pup. I "reacted" in a reflex and it never happend again.
Chip18 and GSDTuckie like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 AM

Message received, I think. Next time he immediately shuts off his idiot behavior, I'd praise heavily for making the correct choice to stop and do what you asked the second you told him to.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

They seem to have a very selective memory. Thankfully they still look like cute pups, which helps them. You gotta love them, no matter what. Now that Deja is consistently obedient and reliable, I sometimes miss that crazy stage,.....but only sometimes.....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Master Member

I have come to the conclusion, that the only reason they are so cute as puppies is so they survive into adult hood.
squerly, wolfy dog and Julian G like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz0qp5 View Post
I have come to the conclusion, that the only reason they are so cute as puppies is so they survive into adult hood.
....and to get adopted. Who, in their right mind, would adopt an ugly land shark?
ksotto333 and Coleen like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think this stands true for all babies... even human ones I don't think my son would have survived his first sleepless year if it wasn't for the fact that he was so cute!
wolfy dog likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
aw, their cute as adults too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

To the OP: is he still impressed by you, no biting still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page