German Shepherds Forum banner

I'm new and a little hysterical

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Kit and Radar 
#1 ·
I am a brand new GSD puppy “mom” and hope this is the online new puppy forum or “support group” where I can ask questions and get feedback?
In preparation for this dog I have purchased many Leerburg videos and watched all of them multiple times – Pack Structure, Raising a Problem Solving Puppy, Power of Training with Food, Marker Training, Raising a Working Puppy and several others. But watching expert trainers do their thing is a lot easier than actually doing it myself and does not look anything like my training sessions. Additionally I have read several books including Monks of New Skete, The Everything German Shepherd Book and The German Shepherd Puppy Month by Month. I have watched countless YouTube training videos. I thought I was prepared but now that puppy is home I don’t feel adequately prepared at all.

This pup has been with me for about 3 days and is about 7 ½ weeks old and has not gone through all his vaccinations. My vet has advised me not to get him involved with dog classes for another month but I really want to get him off to a good start so I’m reaching out to all of you who have GSDs for help.

I’m trying to determine an optimal schedule. He is not house trained so if I don’t watch him every second we will have potty accidents. His schedule has been in crate for a couple hours then a potty break and drink. Sometimes after a potty break I will let him hang in the kitchen ex-pen for a couple hours before another potty break. Then back into the crate. He settles down and is quiet in the crate for the most part. Then a couple times a day I have been taking him for short walks up and down our road (probably less than a quarter mile in total) or around the yard . Also I have been doing little short training sessions that are nothing more than: his name – reward, his name – reward … , the first steps in charging marks and trying to get him to attend to me followed by reward.
He is, of course, crated at night beside my bed and we’re up several times in the night for potty breaks and then back to bed. I have been trying to do a little bit of training before breakfast when he is hungry and before dinner.

During our walks he was doing pretty well but today when I tried our walk he was pretty uncooperative so I picked him up and put him back into the crate. Is this to be expected? I think I was expecting a puppy to be more willing and eager to get going. Are we on the right track? He is the most indifferent puppy I have ever had in terms of paying attention to me. Is this a German Shepherd thing?

Also we have had a few short play times of tug and general interactions with me sitting on the floor of his ex-pen.

Also I have a zillion questions (1) how soon can I expect him to begin learning his name? (2) How soon should he begin attending to me when I do things to get his attention? (3) What are realistic age appropriate expectations? (4) How do I know if the amount of time he spends with me vs time spent in his crate is the correct balance? (5) If one thing in training doesn’t seem to be working, what are some reasons why not and what might I do differently? (6) Am I setting criteria too high or too low? (7) How long does it take to begin building a relationship with a GSD puppy? (8) ARRRRHG the biting is horrendous!

Am I in the right place here??

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL~ A bit wound up, are we?

One bit of advice: RELAX!!!!!! You have a baby! Enjoy him! Play, cuddle (protect your face from those puppy teeth. Drop all those bazillion expectations, and think in terms of having fun and bonding. Look at your puppy with the aim of building his self-confidence and just him enjoying his puppy-hood. This puppy can do no wrong - you set him up for success and celebrate the positive. Make every thing into a game.

Yes, they need 24/7 supervision, and take him out a lot! At this age, your job is to make sure that his needs to potty coincide with him being outside, so no chance of an accident.

Normal for puppies this young to resist leash walks. Don't fret it. Leash walks can happen when he is older, for now, let him explore the world off-leash in safe areas like your yard.

One month is perfect to the two of you to get to know each other before starting formal puppy classes. One month of no expectations. Just have treats on you and tell your boy good boy! and give treats when he does something spontaneously that you want him to do, like sit at your side, look at you, respond to your call.

No matter how much people read and hear about the biting, they ALWAYS think it is excessive when they get their pup. It is normal. It is your puppy WANTING to engage with you and play. Be grateful that you have a puppy that wants to engage with you and play. Have lots of patience, they eventually outgrow it. Have tuggy toys on you and at hand and re-direct a zillion time. You are re-setting hard-wired behaviour (the biting to start play). So it won't happen over-time.

You have only had him 3 days - give him more time to settle in and get 'into' you.

#4 ·
When your pup is a little older I would take him to an experienced trainer at least to get you started. Someone who is experienced with GSDs or at least working dogs. You can read/watch all the best books and videos but it really helps to have an experienced person to tell you if you are doing something wrong or to suggest new things.
Honestly I don't think there is such a thing as spending too much time with your dog as long as they are stable when you have to be away from them. Get him comfortable in his crate (this will take some time!)
To get your puppy more interested in you do fun things with him, play with toys, introduce him to new things (once he gets his shots) and just get creative. My puppy really loved playing at the local play ground so we did that alot and made up our own games and it's still one of her favorite things to do. Find a toy that he really likes and never let him have it by himself, he only gets it when you are playing with him. You can later use this as a high value training reward. Don't stress it too much, he wont be little for long

#5 ·
At this age I just focus on potty training and playing. Mine aren't in their crates unless I absolutely cannot watch them. I want them with me as much as possible.
But to answer your question of is this the right place. Yes. There is a plethora of knowledge on here. And everyone seems very eager to give advice.

Reactions: Shooter
#7 ·
Nothing will seem to be working after 3 days, just keep doing it. Everybody else just said a lot of good stuff. When my pup was that young I actually carried him to hike up the mountain with my adult dogs. Every so often he would squirm and I would put him down and let him putter around for a minute and then carry him some more.

Just try to interrupt indoor potties and praise a lot for outdoor potties. I don't think they have very much control over those faculties at 7.5 weeks. Just be patient and keep explaining it as your pup grows he will get it.

And take lots of pictures and videos because they grow up so fast and you will wonder where your little sharknado went

Neither of my last 2 pup's were sharky so I can't say much about the biting.

#8 ·
first, calm down.

with a new puppy, my schedule is FUN. All training is fun. Playtime is fun. Potty training consists of tether training. I don't want the puppy in a crate away from me but by my side as much as possible. That keeps him from getting out of my sight to have accidents. When I can't watch him, then I use the crate or x-pen. I also, of course, do crate training.

For teaching him his name, sit on the floor with some tasty treats. Say his name. When he even glances your way, reward. Slowly, over time, you can expand what you want him to do when you say his name. Personally, I never teach a dog to come to me when they hear his name. Not only because I do competition but because if the dog is in danger, I don't want necessarily want them rushing back to me at the sound of their name. I want name to mean "look at me; I'm about to tell you something"

Singe was a shark machine. Redirection is my primary tool. On the occasions when that didn't work, simply walk away. Don't make a sound or reprimand in any way. If necessary, I'd step over a baby gate or into another room where he couldn't follow. You don't have to stay gone long, just a few seconds. If he immediately goes into shark mode on your return, redirect and leave again if necessary. (If you're gone too long out of sight, puppies tend to "forget" about you and wander off to entertain themselves elsewhere which destroys the whole purpose of the exercise)

I start basic manners and obedience on day 1. I work on sit, maybe luring the command 1 or 2 times a session, a couple times a day. I teach the dog to wait for his meals, not trample me trying to get at the bowl. just simple basic things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.