German Shepherds Forum banner

Luna the poop eater

652 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Timberdog 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! My 12 week old Puppy Luna has been eating her stool ever since we got her. If i am not quick enough to pick it up she will eat it :| Ive heard that feeding her pumpkin will help stop this? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

#2 ·
Had this problem with my puppy and have mostly fixed it, rarely she will sneak a taste though. Tried pumpkin and it did not work at all. The little pills you give them that are specifically made to keep them form eating their poop seemed to work best, though after a few months of not giving it to them they seem to realize the bad taste has worn off and start eating it again. The other thing that really worked was catching her in the act then firmly saying "bad dog!" and letting her know I was not happy about it. Other than that the best thing to do is just clean up after them immediately.

#3 ·
Really work on "leave it" command and use it when she is trying to eat poop. Put her on leash and stand closer to her when going potty so you could prevent her from eating, as you see her attempting to eat poop, say "leave it" immediately, reward her with tasty treat as soon as she shows any good response (stop eating, hesitate to eat, have eye contact with you etc). so, with the treat ready in your hand, say " leave it" and use the treat her to get her come to you.

it worked well for my pup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.