German Shepherds Forum banner

Potty Training

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Deb 
#1 ·
Hi there!

Our boy GSD will be 13 weeks on Monday. He is fully crate trained. No accidents. But, he still potties in the house sometimes. It rarely happens as we're mostly on top of it.

When he has to poop you know, but when he has to pee there's never a sign. He doesn't whine, squat, or lift a leg. He simply stops and pees without any thought or warning. He has yet to tell us he has to potty unless he's in his crate.

Today, for instance, I took him out of his crate and we went outside. He had a drink and peed. We went inside to play for a bit and about 15 minutes later I took him out again to pee. He pooped, but didn't pee. I waited a few minutes and nothing, so we went back inside. He didn't drink any water either. About 10 minutes after we came back in to play, he stopped, peed, and carried on as if nothing happened. He was so oblivious to it and it happened so fast there wasn't time for correction.

Is it that he's young and these accidents will still occasionally happen for a bit? Any tips on getting him to recognize that the house is a no potty zone?

#2 ·
The one thing I forgot when potty training Paisley (it had been 8 years since my last pup) but remembered with TJ was to always interrupt play (or any sort of inside running about) and take him to potty.

Also - just make sure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean up the messes!

#3 ·
2 things have made house training ours an absolute breeze. First, when we took him out to potty we said "go potty" over and over (neighbors probably thought we were odd). As soon as he went praise like crazy! Now we can take him anywhere and if we need him to go we just say "go potty" and he pees on command.

Next, we hung sleigh bells on the back door knob (it was Christmas). He would bump them when he went to the door alerting us to let him out. Basically this trained him to ring the bells when he needs to go out.

After 2 days of these things combined and he was essentially house trained. You can count the accedents since on a single hand, and was was because we said "lets go potty" before he was out the door. He peed right then and there...lesson learned.

#5 ·
We've been doing the "go potty" and praise thing since day one.

Sadly, we don't have a place to hang bells as his door is a sliding door that we cannot hang anything from. That, and if he can reach it with his mouth, it's toast. So, we have to be very puppy proof. But, what a great idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.