German Shepherds Forum banner

new to me 9 month old male

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Marinemom19 
#1 ·
I am his 3rd owner. He was with a family for most of his 9 months, but they had to give him up for various reasons. Apparently he was very well behaved with them and their labs and children. Then he was with a very nice couple for 3 weeks, but the left him outside on a chain. He was used to being indoors with people and other dogs. So for 3 weeks he was very lonely and sad.
I got him yesterday. He is sick with the runs. I am doing all I can to feed him a nourishing bland diet with the usual bland diet ingredients and probiotics and pedialyte. Last night I slept in the room with him, and as long as he is with me or another person he is fine. But he is a very anxious little guy. He follows me everywhere. I went into the bathroom and he sat outside the door and whined.

I have a 4 year old shepherd who as of yet, wont have much to do with him. Major (the pup) really wants to interact, but Tarsus (4) ignores him, which i think is typical. Weird thing is that whenever I pet Tarsus, Major starts to whine and cry pitifully.

I am planning on gong to Church today and will leave Major shut in his crate in a room with Tarsus with the door shut so they have to "hang out" together. Tarsus will be free, so he wont be forced to interact, but he will still be present and hopefully comfort this little guy by being there.

Do you think it may be wrong to force them to hang out together?

I also think little Major may be very sick, because he has 2 fleshy lumps on his body. One on his spine and one on the side of his front, just above his front leg. I got him on Saturday, so I cant see the vet until Monday. I feel so sorry for this little guy. I just want to make him comfortable and happy. I have 8 children so I am not a "fur baby" type of gal, but my heart just melts for this little guy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I came back from leaving him alone in his crate for 2 1/2 hours and he had ripped the blanket inside to pieces, pulled the quilt we had over the crate in to create a "den" and ripped that to pieces and pushed the tray liner out. He also scratched his nose up badly. Not sure what Im going to do about this.

#4 ·
Sounds like he is a very confused, scared pup right now. Can't blame him there.

Don't leave anything in or on his crate.

Take him to the vet and get a fecal sample. He could just be stressed or he could have picked up a parasite.

Do a two week shutdown. Let him hang in the crate and observe your household. Let the dogs meet through the crate. Don't force them. Don't overwhelm him with any new places or people.

#8 ·
Two Week Shutdown is in the first link here:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

You just got him so yes, he should be given some time to adjust to his changed situation, and two techniques that will be helpful there, can be found here, "Place and Sit on the Dog.":

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Very useful when dealing with dogs with "various issues and dogs with no issues." Training "Place" should wait for well at least two weeks. But since you will need to take the dog on walks (an assumption on part) you can do "Sit on the Dog" now. And that's all you do you just "sit" a light pet on the head and the occasional good boy (assuming he is??) but no fondling. He knows you there. :)

Welcome aboard. :)

#13 ·
He ate a crayon and chewed a pencil today. That was the extent of his naughtiness :smile2:

He refused the crate. He just freaks out like I am cutting off his tail or something. So, I just let them have the first floor and they pick their separate rooms or corners and ignore each other for the most part, but........
The good news is the 4 year old GS and the new home wrecker actually were calmly laying by one another ON THEIR OWN ACCORD on multiple occasions today!

No food left down, no toys and no forced togetherness. It seems to have calmed my "steady eddie" 4 year old down back to his normal self

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.