German Shepherds Forum banner

Energy Level?

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  gsdsar 
#1 ·
I was talking to some of the people who are in my GSD Ali's tracking class and they seemed to think her level of activity was abnormal, even for a GSD. One actually has GSD too, which is why I'm curious now.
Ali is 7 months old.

I was wondering, is it abnormal? I am a stay at home wife so she gets a lot of attention.
- Awake at 9 am
- 9:00-10:00 An hour of play outside, chasing balls and her flirt pole. Heavy play and some obedience with the pole.
- 10-10:30 Breakfast
- 10:30-11:30 Another hour or so digging in the snow and foraging for treats for the other part of her breakfast
- 11:30-12:30-ish A nap, usually 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours max
- 12:30-1:00 Calm activities like chewing while she wakes up, some obedience training
- 1:00-2:00 Long on-leash walk. Lots of sniffing (And anyone following my posts, she does fine with cars now! Still scared of snow mobiles though.)
- 2:00-2:30 More play, usually tug, tag, and chase is what she wants to play here
- 2:30-3:30 Another nap, if she didn't take a long nap in the morning around 1 1/2 hours, if she did no more than an hour.
- 3:30-4:00 More calm stuff while she wakes up
- 4:00-5:00 Crazy play outside, anything that keeps her running and engaged. Obedience mixed in. (2 days a week, her tracking class)
- 5:00-5:30 Her supper.
- 5:30-7:00 In her kennel while we eat whatever I managed to get cooked while she was asleep and I clean up! She rarely sleeps in this time.
- 7:00-7:30 More running-type play outside
- 7:30-8:30 Some laid-back scent training to calm her down for the night
- 8:30-9:30 Calm search games inside the house to calm her even more, things to chew, any low-key activities we can come up with
- 9:30-10:00 Eventually falls asleep

If you ignore her when she wants to play she will immediately start making up her own games to get people to 'play' and become ornery and destructive. She cannot be left unsupervised while awake at all, she will chew on the house itself out of boredom.
I fully admit it is very hard to get anything done around the house right now. Keeping Ali engaged so she doesn't become bored and destructive takes up most of my time and energy.

The TL;DR version, some acquaintances think it's odd Ali is awake for 12-13 hours, only naps like 2 1/2 hours during that time, and just keeps going and going. Unless she is asleep or has her mind on an activity she is destructive and rambunctious. I have no idea how normal this is, never had a GSD before.
I have had a high energy dog before, mutt from a working sled dog kennel, but I don't remember what it was like when that dog was a puppy anymore, too many years ago. Only the later years are fresh in my mind.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Have you taught her impulse control? any games regarding that? Those will teach her how to settle. It seems that maybe part of the problem is that she's nto being corrected for destructive behavior and is being catered to so she's busy?
Look up the dvd crate games. You can modify this game from a crate to a bed.
I do feel like impulse control is a problem but I'm not really sure what do do about it honestly. In training she is good at waiting, leave it, stay, drop it, etc. but as soon as she's bored it's from one naughty activity to the next. She listens quickly when you tell her to stop but unless a person does something to distract her she just starts again seconds later no matter how many times she been redirected..
When playing games, there are some games she isn't that into that she listens really well to impulse related commands, but then other activities her intensity goes to 100% immediately and she just seems completely unable to listen. I wish there was some middle ground with her.

She is constantly being corrected and redirected. For example yesterday morning while she was waking up from her short nap it was time to chew the cupboards. I'd tell her stop immediately, she'd stop. Then I'd call her away from them, have her lay down in her spot, and give her a chew (in this case a bully stick) and supervise her as she started to chew on it. As soon as I try to go back to doing chores she'd get up, go back to the cupboards, and start chewing again. This continued for 30 minutes until I gave up and took her outside to walk.
She's been like this since I got her at 12 weeks, very little capacity to entertain herself and very little desire to chew on things that are dog appropriate.

So yes, she is also catered to, I fully agree. It's because I don't know what else to do when she won't stop but can't be left alone.

If you have any ideas or advice I'd love to hear it. Right now I've just been making it work with the reassurance that "she'll grow out of it." I don't buy it but I don't know what else to do and I don't feel like I have any support from my family when I suggest we try different things.

Holy cow. It's way more than my dog does, I think. I got tired just reading it. I am a little unclear though how much of that play is involving you or the dog playing alone.
None of it is alone, she will not play by herself. I can hardly leave her alone with a chew because she will very sneakily redirect those jaws at the furniture.
The only time she is able to be left alone and stays non-destructive is when she is asleep.

Could you possibly be training her to expect that much interaction everyday? That is a lot!
I almost certainly am, but like I said above since I cannot leave her alone it's hard to do anything else. I'd actually like to try crating her more because I don't know how else to make her expect less when she won't stop trying to instigate play but I have no support from my family so I just suck it up.

#3 ·
Holy cow. It's way more than my dog does, I think. I got tired just reading it. I am a little unclear though how much of that play is involving you or the dog playing alone.

My dog is 19mo and generally goes a 1-2 mile offleash walk per day, plus often 1 other "structured" activity with me. It might be
- a training trip to town to work on service dog stuff
-tracking
-obedience practice for Rally or AKC OB of maybe 1/2 hr to 45 mins plenty of which is play
-in the summer, dock diving
-training practice for service work but at home, task training

But we have plenty of days where either because of work or whatever he gets the walk and nothing else. Those days I will often sit outside so they can play and he plays well with his toys by himself, too.

When he isn't doing any of the things listed he is either chewing on his indoor chew toys, following us around pleasantly, or sleeping.

Usually it'll be, one or the other thing ("training" or the big walk) morning, sleep for a couple hours, other thing in the afternoon. If his "other" thing is a lot of exercise, we do the shorter walk.

#7 ·
It's really tough but maybe try very hard to go against whatever instinct that makes you want to have a strict schedule of activities like this. The thing you explained about the bully stick, how she leaves and goes back to doing the naughty as soon as you leave to do chores... that's your cue to come back, correct and follow through. Keep doing that as many times as you have to.

I'm no expert but I don't think you should have to redirect every time you correct. It almost seems like she is learning to do the bad behavior in order to get attention or the toy or the chew treat.

I love that you are so committed to stimulating your dog. My own personal taste, I like my dog to be a part of my everyday, no actually be my life. That's just me. I'm a stay at home mom but I have tons of other **** to do all the time.

I do totally relate though. My pup was such a handful the first year. The more I wanted to tire her out (so I could get a break), the more she expected and it was kind of a cycle.

#8 ·
I might have missed it, but is she ever crated to learn to be alone and quiet? She has much more energy than any of my dogs. What line is she? I got dogs who love to play but also need down time. It's possible she is just a very drivey, active dog who will need a lot more exercise than other dogs. One way to cut back is to play less with her and let her entertain herself. I have play toys for my dogs where they can interact. There are many different types, puzzle toys, remote controlled cars, large balls they can learn to roll around. If I had a dog that active, I might get a fly ball dispenser and teach her to use that. She can throw her own ball and chase it. You just have to sit and watch, and reload it when it runs out.

#9 ·
My 8 month old girl would love your routine because she only has two speeds, stop and go!! But the more she does, the more revved up she becomes and is impossible to do anything with because she is all giddy. Her crate is my best friend. Even in there she will chew wildly on her nylabones (the only dog I have had that actually likes them!!)
I am at home all day but I work from home. I am teaching her to be with me but be settled by leashing her to me (chain leash, because she chews) and we are getting there. It's hard work because she just wants to play the whole time.
For me, it's about finding a balance between meeting her needs and actually being able to get on with my day to day life as normal.

#11 ·
Jimminy. That's exhausting to read.

Crate the dog for a few hours during the day. Tell your family that if they don't like it YOU will go back to work and THEY can stay home and cater to the dog.

Tethering her to you may work as well. As well as "sit on the dog". You have taught this dog to expect constant interaction. So teach her now to expect less.

PS. She is old enough to not need redirection after ever correction. So that tells me that your corrections are not corrections. They are low level nagging that never have any actual consequences, except to get her more attention.

Use your crate more. If she is being a brat, put her in the crate and walk away. Just walk away.

This dog needs to learn to chill out.

All that aside- huge kudos to you for doing all of this. I am super impressed.

#13 ·
It sounds to me like this dog has trained you to be her entertainment servant.

Make up a routine that makes sense, with plenty of exercise and mental stimulation and then the rest of the time I would either keep her on a leash or put her in an x pen. I have two X Pens connected in my living room. It is enough room for a dog bed room to walk around a bit, and some toys and chews.

If she is out with you tell her to lay down and be quiet. Be prepared for some tantrums. She will not be happy with this new plan.

Consider teaching a place command, there are tons of videos for this on Youtube.

Consider putting a prong collar on her and giving her a correction that means something when she starts her shenanigans.

#15 ·
I agree with TheCowboysGirl - it sounds like this dog has been trained to act out in order to get things she wants. Any time she acts out she gets a treat, chew, more interaction with you, play, etc. I am working a client's dog - 8 month Lab/Weim mix that has the same pattern. She is extremely demanding, but it's a learned behavior and can be unlearned.

Your dog needs to learn how to be on her own, entertain herself and settle down without you there. I absolutely second the x pen suggestion. She will probably have a tantrum - actually many tantrums. Ignore it and let her work it out. You need to teach her that only calm, quiet behavior gets your attention and allows her to manipulate her environment. You can leave her with a meaty bone, No Hide chew (love these), stuffed kong, puzzle, etc to keep her mind and mouth busy.

But seriously - kudos to you for being so dedicated to this dog and putting this much effort into her daily. That's really great. Now go out and get yourself some ear plugs!

#16 ·
Wow. I am no expert with GSD, but seeing you can keep up with this schedule, your energy and patience levels are really really high among humans lol.

Maybe talk to the vet first? Some dogs are genetically over hyperactive because of chemical imbalances, and your vet can prescribe medications if you get a diagnosis (ADHD). "The true test of ADHD is to give the dog a prescribed stimulant, under controlled clinical conditions, whilst observing changes in heart rate, respiratory rate, and behaviour. For a dog with ADHD, these parameters are reduced." However, if your dog has good attention on you during obedience training even without strenuous exercises and is not overly easily distracted, then it is most likely not serious ADHD and just a very high energy dog.

Anyway, best of luck!

#17 · (Edited)
Pups crave attention!....but pups need to be managed as much as trained. Use your crate more, much of this they will grow out of....and some of the attention you give is counter productive.
You see pups don't differentiate between good attention( treats, praise, petting, walks, play with you,etc) and bad attention( correcting them for destructive behaviors,nuance barking, running away from you, etc).....they all achieve the same response from you : attention to the pup! Everything you do with your pup will either be on their terms or your terms. For many uninformed owners it's usually on the pups terms which leads to problems. Pups should learn to settle in safe places like their crate, but excessive crating leads to boredom behaviors that become habitual and hard to break. Analyze your actions with your pup and determine if you are operating on their terms or yours. Finally, never give a command or correction that you can't enforce!!!!
Example: if pup is on couch and you are across the room or on the phone don't tell the pup to get down....why? ...because you can't make the pup get down from that distance so the pup can either get down or wait to you approach or not get down...whichever they choose....whose terms are you on??? Instead, you should say nothing until you are at the couch and then ask once to get down and if not remove pup immediately then praise or treat. Now you are on your terms. Little things like this teach the dog boundaries, and respect for what you say....I call it manners. A lot of your pups life and interactions with you are on the pups terms....trust me.

#18 ·
I know people here seem to like updates so I thought I would pop back in and say how the changes went!

Firstly, thank you for all the encouragement and advice!

I did decide to bypass the family on what I thought was best in the end and start crating her more when she refused to settle and went into her "cause problems for fun" mode when I wasn't ready to play. I'm at home with the dog, doing what I needed to retain my sanity.
And hey, guess what? Having an actual consequence helped decrease her naughty behavior. And Ali still loves her crate during normal sleepy times. Who knew. And seeing the changes now family is on board too. Mostly, still working on consistency with them but that isn't an Ali problem!
She has probably doubled her calm time and, instead of finding inappropriate ways to get my attention like chewing the house, I've been teaching her to sit nearby and bark once when she really really needs/wants something. Maybe that will get old if she decides to abuse that but I much prefer it to digging the carpet as a way of asking for something.

I've also been working on 'sit on the puppy,' now without a leash as the naughty behavior started to decrease, where she is rewarded for calmly laying near me or joining me when I sit down on the couch (As long as there isn't any guarding or refusal to leave we don't mind dogs on furniture.)
She's even started to cuddle when calm. The first time she rolled belly up onto my lap I was like "okay who are you, where is Ali, and can you please stay forever?"

With another couple months of maturity and patience training she is actually getting a bit better at impulse control. Still real issues there but real improvement, at least with me. I'm starting to enjoy having a GSD more, even if her off switch is a bit broken... I'll build her a new one the best I can.

#19 ·
What a great update!! She will settle even more as she matures and gets older. Good for you for getting a handle on it!! Now you can e joy your pup and keep your sanity and actually get stuff done around the house!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.