German Shepherds Forum banner

Trouble Sleeping

643 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eddie1976E 
#1 ·
I tried to search for topics previously posted about this subject, but I had a very hard time finding anything relevant. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to search properly on this website yet. Anyway, I got my puppy at 10 weeks, and he started on kennel training from day one. Within five days of coming home, he slept happily in his kennel at night without any whining. He would wake me up by barking when he had to go to the bathroom, though. I would immediately take him out on a leash, he would go to the bathroom, we would go straight back inside and in the kennel. No play, no treats, no attention. The first two weeks were very rough. We were getting up five times a night to go to the bathroom. He always went when I took him (pee and poop), and if I ignored him when he asked to go out, he would go in his kennel.

Now Forrest is 18 weeks and still asks to go out twice a night. He gets fed four hours before bedtime, he gets a walk right before going in his kennel, and he isn't being rewarded by going outside. I have no idea why he still won't sleep through the night. I've had plenty of puppies before, but I never had a dog that had to go out at night longer than the first week. He has been potty trained for weeks and weeks now. No accidents in the house. He did have giardia, but he has been treated and his symptoms have been gone for about a week and a half now. Any tips or suggestions? I'm exhausted and desperately need to start getting sleep again.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure your dog can hold it by 18 weeks. I have a friend whose dog would wake him up at 2 AM every night wanting to go out. He trained him that way by bending to his will as a puppy. The dog did this till the day he passed at 12 yrs.

Make sure the crate is small enough for him not to mess in it, let him whine all he wants and he will realize he wont get to go out any more. Last call is at 10, no water passed 8. He needs to figure out he is done going out at "Last Call".

No good can come out of you being exhausted for months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.