German Shepherds Forum banner

Too excited to sit with new people

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  car2ner 
#1 · (Edited)
We just graduated basic obedience class today on top of puppy class....yet she still can't sit when greeting other people. She just has to jump and lick at them. People are starting to suggest me using choke collar, especially the parents of some kids in my building who are scared of dogs. Her sit works in all other situations, and she gets quite a bit exercise. I can't hold her down with ease anymore when she tries to dash and jump at a person in the elevator/hallway and sometimes I need to use my weight to wrestle her down to let the scared child passes by.

Also when she plays chase with me, she sometimes gets carried away and would jump and mouth, which draws blood. I would stop playing immediately but she would still try to jump up on me, and it is hard to hold her down without wrestling her, which she likes.

We are working on training at a distance from other people, but it is progressing slowly as she gets distracted easily. But this issue needs to be fixed assp as people in my building are complaining and I don't want her hurting someone:(

Any suggestions? My pup is 7 months old and a female.

#2 ·
turn and walk the other way. don't let her approach anyone and don't let anyone who wants to greet her do so unless her butt is on the ground. If she starts to get up, have them turn away and ignore her.
It's easiest to get some dog friends help you work on this.

#4 ·
In an 20 floors + apartment this is impossible unfortunately:( Not even mentioning elevator which is the worst, front lobby alone is always filled with people. And I try to tell anyone near us to not pet before she sits, but she jumps and dashes before I can finish the sentence, and most people instinctively encourage it during occasions when I fail to hold her down, which of course motivates her to keep doing this further.

#3 ·
I would prefer a prong over a choke collar. And let your gal self correct. If she leaps and pulls the collar will make it uncomfortable. But don't yank the collar when she is near you. Next to you should be her safe and comfortable place. The place she gets offered treats and toys.

Dainerra has a good tip. See if friends and maybe even the neighborhood kids purposely help you. Have the kids stand still with their arms crossed, looking up and away as if they are superheros. Tell them to stand like they own the sidewalk and that the dog is not important enough to be looked at. That gives the kids some confidence. Have treats or a toy with your. When your she-pup gives you attention, treat her and praise her. If she doesn't give you attention, walk briskly past the other people as if it isn't worth your time. At a distance you can stand blocking her view with your legs. She'll try to look around but when she finally stops and looks at you instead, praise and treat her.

I am currently doing this with my she-pup. With my boy it wasn't people that got him excited, it was other dogs. He wanted to play with them and didn't understand why he couldn't go meet and greet.

#6 ·
I have no idea what is the difference between choke and prong collars, but I will sure do my research. My problem now is that I can not even control her without wrestling her down. I tried having treats and would treat for sit or anything besides jumping --- I even once placed the treats right in front of her nose while trying to hold her down using the other hand, but she just ignored the treat and continued lunging. It was high value freeze dried treat. Your method would definitely work at a distance, but when close up she just gets too excited from over socialization probably. And best of luck with your pups!

#7 ·
I am not sure why you feel the need to let anybody pet her. Your dog does not need anybody to pet it and it seems like now you have had enough interactions with strangers to cause you problems. Keep doing what you are doing and you will keep getting what you are getting. Stop it and she will.

I am not sure what you are doing for play but is there a chance that how you are teaching her to interact with you is carrying over to her interactions with other people?

#9 · (Edited)
I am not letting others pet her...as I have said during the instances when i fail to control her immediately and she manages to gets close enough to others, others would pet her before I can finish my sentence to not let others pet her LOL. I can not avoid direct close encounters with other people as I live in a crowded apartment and the pup is not old enough to climb lots of stairs everyday. We play tug and she chases me around for play, I always forbid jumping but sometimes she gets carried away, in which case I try to stop immediately.

#11 ·
I think you need a professional trainer before your dog accidently hurts someone or enough complaints get you kicked out of your apartment. Not knowing the difference between a prong or choke collar indicates you are new to these dogs. Has nothing to do with whether you use either one but if you do you need a trainer to show you how.

#15 ·
I would look for another trainer. Positive reinforcement for good behavior is great but sometimes a firm correction is needed to get it through to a dog that a behavior has to stop! Dainerra has that right.

A prong collar can be a short term tool for those times when you don't have complete control of the environment, like an elevator or tight hallway. You can use two collars and clip the leash from one to another, although while teaching your youngster I'd stick with just the prong. When the dog does not pull, it does not hurt. And even when they do pull, it doesn't really hurt. It is just uncomfortable. Try one on yourself and see. Make sure it fits correctly, too.
Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar

When you are in that elevator you have to be very firm with people as well as your dog. Stand in front of your dog facing your dog. No baiting or luring with food. Insist that your dog look at you. When you get that look, which will probably be the "why are you doing this" look, praise your dog quietly. Big tug games are great out in the field but in closed spaces you need small calm rewards. As soon as that gaze moves from you to others, insist he return focus on you. Yes, it will take many practices until you both get the habit of this. It will also tend to get people to leave you alone.

When my dogs jump up on people (even with my previous mutts) and people say, "it's ok, I love dogs". I say, It is NOT ok with me. And smile.
It will get better. You know the rules. Your pup and other people don't. Start right off with the focus before you get lunging. You'll mess it up a few times but you will get it. And when you find a new trainer, having another person watch you can help you with your timing. Timing can make a big difference in communicating with your pup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.