German Shepherds Forum banner

5 months old Male afraid of other dogs

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
Hi, this is Moose. He turns 5 months old on the 15th of December. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. He's the sweetest dog ever but he gets so nervous around other dogs. He is even afraid of tiny dogs. He weighs a whopping 55 pounds but he acts like a scared baby around other during. He gets defensive and barks. He is not aggressive but I'm worried. Is there anything I can do about this? How do I get him to be ok with other dogs? How do I get home to stop barking at other dogs?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
He does it anytime he sees another dog. He does it on and off the leash. I brought him to a dog park and he was afraid of all of the dogs. Anytime a dog would come near me he would get scared and bark at the dog until it left. When he is off the leash, it feels sort of like he is trying to protect me. When he's on the leash he won't stop barking at the other dogs. I try to get him to stop but the only thing that works has been to walk away from the other dog.

#4 ·
Do obedience with him, keep treats on hand and be proactive to redirect his focus back to you before he zones in on other dogs. Read his body language and let him know you are in control of his world. Don't go to dog parks at this time(or ever really!)
My goal for my dogs is to be neutral to all others. I don't want them to want to play, or sniff dogs they do not know.
If you haven't gotten into obedience class or private training, I'd suggest you do so. There are exercises you can do to teach your dog to not react. The book Control Unleashed puppy program would be a good one to begin with if you are not going to work with a trainer. CONTROL UNLEASHED - THE PUPPY PROGRAM - Puppy Training Books - Dogwise.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.