German Shepherds Forum banner

7 month gsd behaviour and a weak personality. I need opinions of experienced and skil

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Thecowboysgirl 
#1 ·
I took Otis when he was 3 months. He was sick and spent a lot of time in bed fighting to the parvo virus. I kept him at home cause vets said he had only 10% to live. But I did all I know and we won.
Now he is a 7 month grown up gsd. But I have realized there are some weak characteristics in his behavior:
1. He doesn't learn. Not smart at all.
2. He can't keep its pee when he's touched.
3. He barks but in a shy way. Like he's feared, not alarmed!
4. He eats its poo sometimes.
5. His head is always down. A down to earth dog. Lol
6. He doesn't play.
7. He has no confidence.

I don't know about the things happened to him before I took him, but it’s a long time. Though I don't have much time to take him to walk outdoor, but he is always allowed to be out and spend some time in our big yard. I feed him from our food plus some additional chicken or meat. Although he is always full but I see his greed to foods all the time and it is something I don't like in a dog. He doesn't even bark at cats on the wall!
Recently I have taken another puppy named Max. I don't know its breed. He is super smart. Very very sharp. And now at age of 2 months I am counting on him for house protection. Last night he was barking at something or someone walking on other side of the wall. He didn't stop until walker was gone. I couldn't believe he is so sharp at this age. He chases big cats to run them out of the house's walls (we have chickens) without being even a bit afraid, But he is careful as well like he knows what he's doing. He understands the language. He does exactly what he's told to. I am really impressed by his smartness.

I have had another gsd. He was an aggressive one and highly self confidence. I lost him to parvo. He wasn't that smart though. But he was perfect at protection and a handsome one in appearance.

Otis has none of these two important personality. I wanted to see if someone can help me with helping him to build himself some confidence and pick some good behaviors. Let its fears pass and be a reliable dog.

Any idea?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

See less See more
#10 ·
Alpha is gone unfortunately. He couldn't last long enough fighting with parvo. I took Otis couple of months after Alpha. So he didn't take it from Alpha. I think he had it when I took it. I just didn't realized it as it's been in early stages. Anyhow it's ok now, parvo is gone. And I wish it never comes back.

#3 ·
Be fair and understanding.

Parvo takes a great deal out of a dog . To be pulled back to life from only having a 10% chance of living tells you how badly off this dog was. Parvo goes far beyond not feeling good.
The virus does some major damage making absorption of nutrients nearly impossible.

7 months is not grown up! Not at all.

He had parvo at 3 months . At 7 months of age that is only 3 to 4 months later . He is still in recovery .
Be clear on that ! He is still in recovery.

It takes a long time for the gut to heal . It takes a long time for his digestion to be anywhere near normal.

You feed him your table scraps --- "I feed him from our food" plus some extra chicken and meat .
Probably not a good diet even for a healthy dog.

Then you say "Although he is always full but I see his greed to foods all the time and it is something I don't like in a dog. "

This is not the time for your likes . GREED? Probably more like HUNGRY , craving good food .
Poop eating to extract nutrition not taken in the first time around.

Give the dog some good food.
Let him get back on his feet.
Dog is peeing submissively . You might be over bearing , expecting too much at a time when he can't deliver .
Not emotionally , not physically.

you said "He barks but in a shy way. Like he's feared, not alarmed!"

You want a dog to bark alarmed ? Guess what . Alarmed is a fear state.

okay -- then you get another pup who at 2 months of age - just leaving his first home -- is described as
very very sharp .

An 8 week old pup should NOT be sharp at all .

You brought a puppy into the environment which might still have active parvo virus in your home environment ,
in the yard.

Your other dog passed from parvo.

You brought another pup into your home when to your own admission " Though I don't have much time to take him to walk outdoor" ---- then you don't have time for another dog.

You seem disgusted with the 7 month old --- there is harshness in that he is not a dynamic dog when he has been very sick , under socialized, probably with a poor diet and expectations that he can't meet.

You are high on the new pup .

Would you give the 7 month to another home where he is appreciated?

#12 ·
"From our food plus additional chicken or meat." You miss some parts.

I nursed him for 4 weeks at my home. Checked him every 2 hours. Gave him meds every 4-8 hours. Though I know he was dead at the vet or pet shop. So please stop talking about MY dog like it's a cat or a parakeet. Gsd is a tough badass dog. I live in a place that animals are nothing for people, dont mention a sick dog. So I am trying by myself to be the good one. A new home? Maybe you like to talk about something you can't understand or you can't get. But talking is talking and doing something is another thing. Some people just can't understand. I feel responsible for my dog so I am trying to help him. This is my 1st time facing a dog recovering after parvo disease. So you can help or just sit back and don't talk about something you don't understand. I am not looking for his mother!

#13 ·
Unfortunately yes. Otis is in a bad phase. I brought Max to help Otis to get back things he missed during his disease, at recovery, and during his likely bad time with previous owner. I see he's getting better with help of Max. I'm proud of this little one. And unfortunately I don't know his breed or if I can find anything like him in my location.

#5 ·
Wow... I am floored by what you wrote and hope it is just being naive to how dogs grow (and recover from seriously life taking illnesses!).. If ANYTHING, the fact your pup made it through parvo with such slim chances should impress you and allow you to see the fight in the dog... Socialization and training are a NECESSITY for any well rounded dog.. A good diet, especially after parvo is so overwhelming needed in order for the puppy (and he is still a puppy) to develop in every way... Just because he grew larger does not mean he is mature, healthy, or able to take on your demands..

Let me ask you a question as a comparison to your dog : If you had had cancer and gone through chemo and radiation and had been so close to death as 10% chance for survival, after a couple of months of slow recovery, limited on your diet to bare bones food~not the nutrients dense foods you need to recover, chastised if you ask for more because you are 'greedy' (remember, you didn't eat during your illness because you threw everything up, lost alot of weight AND ARE GROWING at an alarming rate) and now you are expected to guard your home (remember, you are now about 13yrs olld) from invaders, pick a fight (that would be barking at unknown sounds and people) and defend the home despite the fact you still feel weak, hungry, scared because you haven't been exposed to what you should be safe with and what is dangerous... And finally, you are criticized for being weak and having a poor personality because you aren't able to overcome these challenges that weren't your fault within the time frame others think you should...

To add to the insult, a healthy young 3yr old comes in and everybody thinks he is top stuff and can defend the house!!

Yeah... Looks different from a human perspective but that is what is happening to your nice young boy.. Give him a chance!

#14 ·
I hope it gets better. He is eating good quality food from our table plus chicken and meat. He is in a good environmental condition, no pressure on him, and no one criticizes him, unless he's reading this forum! Or you tell him by telepathy!
I am trying to help him and I know the things you said are not the reasons. So I am trying to understand it and find someone with the same experience or a real skilled advice or tips. Though I agree with the time aspect. He needs time and he's giving the time. Max is a great little one. And I am seeing progress by Max's help. And about training and socializing, I am afraid he doesn't like to train. He doesn't like to play. He doesn't like to walk. And I am not forcing him.

#6 ·
Otis is a seven month old puppy who was very ill, deathly ill. He has missed out on all the learning and growing he would have been doing at the age appropriate times. He may be seven months old age wise, but developmentally he's not, he's developmentally delayed. In order to heal, to grow physically and mentally, he needs to be eating a high quality large breed puppy food, no people food, or just a little meat as treats. You took a huge risk getting an eight week old puppy who has not has not completed his shots. Parvo can live in the ground for up to six months to a year. Watch him closely that he does not get Parvo as well. The earlier you can catch it the better the chance for survival he has.

You want Otis to be a typical GSD. That will take a lot of time and work. You said you don't have much time. If you want Otis to do all the things you listed then you're going to have to make that time. If not, he will not be what you want. If you're not able to give that time due to work or whatever then you may need to think of rehoming him. Sometimes you need to think of what is better for the dog even if it isn't what you want to do.

#7 ·
I would be very concerned about the 2 month old puppy. One dog died of parvo in this environment, one contracted parvo recently and barely survived. I think the chances that this new puppy is also at risk of parvo are extremely high.

#15 ·
I have sterilized the environment several times after Otis. So the chances is weak. I hope. But we have a filthy outside environment. and my best is to protect my indoor including the yard. But anything possible. Max is good. Now grown up a little more.

#8 ·
You are only complaining and whining about this poor dog. Be proud of him that he beat Parvo. Try for heaven's sake to understand him. Then to relieve your selfish disappointment you get another pup (undersocialized since he alarm-barks already) while you don't have time for the other.This is a large shoe to fill for that new puppy. Your GSD pup needs to be loved and appreciated and you need to treat him with kindness and gentle training that doesn't scare him (peeing). Replace yourself in him; would you like to be treated after you just barely survived a deathly illness? I am sure there are plenty of people who would gladly take this disappointment from you and embrace this pup. I feel very sorry for your pup.

#9 ·
Big cats as in actualy big cats or large housecats? Where do you live?

Anyway, I agree with others. If this poor shepherd is such a dissapointment to you, try and find a home where he is loved. My dog did not have the most confidence in the world at that age but his confidence seems to be improving exponentially since about his 1st birthday. Maybe he is a late bloomer. Maybe the death of my old male really impacted him, they were very close and my pup looked up to him and adored him and suddenly he was gone.

I just worked on training and building engagement with my pup, kept teaching him new things that were easy for him to master and building reward value and he seemed to kind of internalize the successes... he is doing great right now, I don't see a lack in confidence...he has confidence in me even if he doesn't have total confidence in knowing what to do in every situation, we have a good relationship where he looks to me and I give him feedback if he needs it. We wouldn't have that relationship if I thought poorly of him....

Your dog is into food. That's currency for training and shaping, you could do a lot with that...why does it bother you? I love dogs that are into food because they are easy to train.

#17 ·
I live in Kabul Afghanistan. So the chances for this poor creatures are not high to find a home at all. A loved one? Lol
Iam not trying to sell him out. Or finding him a loving mother. I am trying to find him a way of getting better. I hope it's understandable. The situation in here and there is different. So plz stop counseling and give us some help. Real help.

#18 ·
It seems like this dog is pretty fearful and submissive. Now this could be a stage or it could be genetic. Either way he will benefit from you taking time every day to bond with him. He needs to trust you above all else. He sounds soft so I would just do play, no corrections and just you and him for a while. Max is removed from these sessions. You can play with him and then throw in some obedience. Play play play... SIT....good boy....play play play DOWN....good boy... play play play. See these:

It sounds like you have some work to do with this pup. He needs to be able to trust you better in my opinion.

My guess is that Max will teach him to bark if that is what you want.

#20 ·
It seems like this dog is pretty fearful and submissive. Now this could be a stage or it could be genetic. Either way he will benefit from you taking time every day to bond with him. He needs to trust you above all else. He sounds soft so I would just do play, no corrections and just you and him for a while. Max is removed from these sessions. You can play with him and then throw in some obedience. Play play play... SIT....good boy....play play play DOWN....good boy... play play play. See these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiTMEA4vZ3s&t=205s

It sounds like you have some work to do with this pup. He needs to be able to trust you better in my opinion.

My guess is that Max will teach him to bark if that is what you want.
Thank you. It's really something. And it definitely helps us. I believe and have experienced that dogs talk by barking. Barking at a stranger is different than barking to a cat on the wall. Or even when they are saying they want something or they're hungry or want to go for walk or for poop. When a dog doesn't bark, it makes me worried. Communication is the thing.
Thanks for the tips again.

#21 ·
So everything I said in the previous post about working on engagement, mostly all that stuff I got from Michael Ellis. If you have internet, you ought to be able to get all his videos Livestreaming off Leerburg.com. you can learn ow to use food to your advantage. Your pup may jusg blossom into a great dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.