German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD in car

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  elvis3006 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tips on how to calm a GSD in a car ? For example our GSD Kelso 18 months old starts to howl/bark/yelp when we all first get in the car, then after a short while he calms down. If we come to a stop/ up to a drive through window or are about to get out he will start the howling all over again. Our other GSD Sherman 6 months old is calm and quiet, we are worried Kelsos behavior will rub off on Sherman. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
Since Bane is my first dog and GSD I can only tell you what worked for us. Bane wouldn't calm down at all when we first got him into the car and would make constant noise. We did several things:

1. Started teaching him speak and quiet. When he was quiet in the car he would get treats.

2. Brought him to very fun places in the car and never anywhere he associated with something bad. (He loves the vet because he gets snacks and attention so practically anywhere we went was fun for him)

3. When he would make noise or howl we stopped comforting him or paying any attention to him.

:) Before we knew it he actually loves car rides sometimes we take him out he would walk towards the car thinking we were going somewhere.

#4 ·
My boy is also in a kennel in the car. He started out being a handful and barking at every dog/person he saw. Taught him the relax command through clinker training. When he started to get rambunctious, told him to relax, and he would settle down. Rides in the car are now great for everyone.

#6 ·
I also have a Hammock style seat cover in the back. That makes for a more secure feeling. The dogs can fall into the foot well between the front and back seats.

My dogs get in and ride calmly, but I do admit, when we get to our destination they both start barking as if to announce their arrival.

#8 ·
My last shepherd whined in the car, incessantly. I have no clue why, because she went on car rides frequently. She never stopped doing it. My crested pup always got Carsick and had to have dramamine, so I understood why he hated going in the car. Luckily, he outgrew it. You could also try just sitting in the car in the driveway with your dog for short periods of time, with no ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.