German Shepherds Forum banner

why does our pup kiss and cuddle?

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  thenewshepherd 
#1 ·
he used to give us big wet ones since he was just four weeks old. before meals, after meals, before bedtime, hours before bedtime, after waking up, during gentle play, before walks, after walks. without any real time for when. we taught him to do it on command as well so it never gets out of hand, but we're not entirely sure why he does it. he'll sniff our lips or eyelashes and plant a kind of 'chaste' kiss which is really the only way to describe it or a giant face licking smooch.

he also 'cuddles up' to us. we've fixed times in a day for this so it goes uninterrupted, as well as a command and hand signal to come/get off. he never liked belly rubs much, even when we found 'the spot' but he loves this. he picks up a chew toy he wants to chew up and he'll 'take permission' to sit in our laps and then fit all of him onto us and chew away happily. now, of course, only half of him can sit in our laps but he loves doing it so much and it gives us a chance to trim his nails/check between his paws/check his ears/his mouth and brush him which he's otherwise not too thrilled about.

we don't have a problem with the behaviours since they're cute and in control since we can tell him to stop and divert his attention to something. a couple people pointed out that it was a strange behaviour for a dog, we just wish we knew why he does them at all?

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't know why but he sounds wonderful. Each dog has their own individual personality and some are cuddler and some aren't. He sounds fantastic. Give him a cuddle from me. Is it cold where you live cause that would be even more of a bonus!

Reactions: karladupler
#3 ·
He does sound he craves and enjoys attention. They are all different for sure. Max always had to give kisses as a pup-when we came home it was like a strong need or when he would wake up from a nap check in with us and give us kisses. Now that he is older he demonstrates more self control but the need (it seems like a need)is still there and we still get many kisses. Max does not care to be bothered with strangers at all. He is still giddy and over friendly when people he comes over that he knows well. I sometimes wonder if his affectionate side will diminish towards us I hoping not.

#4 ·
My almost year and a half pup is a super love bug, never grew out of it from puppyhood, probably because we all like and enjoy it. He LOVES giving kisses. When I sit in a chair he likes to put his front half in my lap (he is about 87lb) for hugs. When I am in bed he will often get up and lay on my chest to kiss me.

I am kind of eating it up because my female thinks too much touching will give her cooties. Dogs or people. She is like "personal space please"

Some of the boys' behavior evolved from service dog tasks that I was teaching him. I had a few tasks I wanted her to do but never taught her because it involved too much touching and I knew she would hate it. So I was excited that he likes being close and would enjoy doing these tasks.

His only thing is that he gets hot really easily so in the summer it's drive by love and in the winter he wants to snuggle between me and my husband in bed.

I am certain if we treated him differently he wouldn't act like this anymore, but anything he does that makes someone happy or laugh ect., he will be doing it over and over again to try and make us happy again because the happier we are, the happier he is.

#5 ·
My girl LOVES to give kisses- however - she aims for the ears. I'm good with that because I rather her go there instead of directly on my mouth (although she does that once in a while by mistake). She'll do this when I get home or to when I am waking up. If she can't reach my face in bed, she will try to lick my feet to wake me up some more.

She loves to cuddle in the mornings in bed- she loves weekends because I'll take my time getting out of bed and she is allowed on the bed. She does not seek cuddle time the rest of the day though. She'll lay against me if I am reading a book in bed or something during the day but that rarely happens.

She does do a nose bump once in a while on my leg which I find strange! Its almost like she has to reassure herself or something.

#16 ·
I rewarded mine for it so she'd accept them, in case we ever wanted to do therapy dog work. She will now accept them. They're sort of grudging, but she will. (We don't make her do it often, for that reason.) Her version of cuddling is to come over and lean on you.

I wouldn't mind a really affectionate dog like the OP's, but I'm good with ours, too. I have a big personal bubble, so it works out fine that my dog has a bubble too.

#8 ·
All of mine will sleep with me and give kisses, but Apollo the most aloof one outside of the house is very cuddly and gives kisses to me all the time

#10 ·
.....we don't have a problem with the behaviours since they're cute and in control since we can tell him to stop and divert his attention to something. a couple people pointed out that it was a strange behaviour for a dog, we just wish we knew why he does them at all?
Who are these couple? Are they dog people? How many pups they have handled?

OP: you will do your pup a great favour if you please stop judging his/her behavior based on people's comment or even your own idea about how a pup should act in a given situation.

Just search in this forum, u will find many threads where people complain about their pups nipping. So you are very luck that way.

I think your pup will do very well in obedience, but u should perhaps work very slowly with an trainer in your area.

My present view is that, allow the pups to have lot fun and play and let them grow up. Training should continue, but no pressure. When they are mature around 18months, then take informed decision on their future:smile2:

#11 ·
these couple people have had dogs, around thirty in their life and twelve at present, from gsds to great danes, to bullies to pugs and boston terriers. lots of puppies, they're breeders. they found it strange because all of their gsds (seven, i think), since 5 or so months preferred not touching too much so our mix was a funny bundle of slobber and love to them.
we're not 'judging' him on anything. we want to know WHY he does it in case there's something wrong, like overly attached attention seeking behavior or separation anxiety or something
he's pretty good at obedience, spot on about that! he loves 'rapid fire' seven commands in under seven seconds. he's an absolute gem!
just a question, but why should we work with him 'very slowly?' or did you mean it as an expression and i looked into semantics too much?

#13 ·
I don't really find it odd at all. If I sit down, Kona will rush to me and we'll literally rub faces for about 15 to 20 minutes. She'll burry her head into my chest, I'll hug around her neck and scratch her ears/chest/shoulders, and she'll rub her muzzle along my chest and face. She'll also lick my arms and face too during that time. Some GSDs are just absolute snuggle bugs and that's totally fine and normal. It's not like your dog is resource guarding you or preventing any of you from interacting with one another in a possessive way... he really just loves you and shows it physically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.