German Shepherds Forum banner

Frequent Stops during walks

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Kyrielle 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am a first time owner of not only a dog but a fabulous 4 1/2 month old male shepherd. I don't know what to make of his behavior when we are out for walks as he frequently plops himself on the ground or trail. The length or difficulty of the walk does not seem to matter and even when his "girlfriend" - my sister's 6 month lab accompanies us he does the same thing. I also vary the time of day so the summer heat isn't always a factor. He is eating well, 43lbs - especially with all the treats I use to keep him moving. Another factor is I don't always bring him to the same place so he should maintain interest in his surroundings. My trainer says I should not "give into" the behavior and drag him but I can't bring myself to do that. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

#2 ·
I would have the vet take a look at him to rule out any physical problems that could be causing him pain.

Once the vet rules out any health issues, such as a troublesome hip, just for an example, then you can treat it behaviorally.

As for your *trainer*--I'd find a new one. Dragging a puppy? No. There are better ways. But first, please make sure he isn't physically suffering.

#3 ·
yeah, go pay 120 bucks for the vet to feel his joints and say he's fine. keep doing that and you'll be bankrupt in a year. unless he's yelping or showing signs of pain he's just being a butthead. just be a leader and tell him it's time to go. yank on the leash not enough to hurt obviously.

#4 ·
unless he's yelping or showing signs of pain he's just being a butthead. just be a leader and tell him it's time to go. yank on the leash not enough to hurt obviously.
:frown2:

That is pretty cruel to do to a pup. Besides, pulling on a dog, makes them resist. It is a reflex and it is actually how I teach them the 'stay'.You need a more intelligent way to outsmart this puppy. He probably has gotten way too much attention for stopping, which has solidified the behavior. I would take him to a large , safe area, off leash and start walking. As soon as he follows, treats. Walk again and treats for following you. If he doesn't follow, continue walking or even running. Being a GSD he will follow eventually. Once he starts to get it, put him on a 30 ft line and repeat. Once he does well, use the regular leash. Treats only to teach him what pays off. If he has improved, space out the treats until you no longer need them when his behavior has changed. Also make sure it is fun for him to follow you so play with him, engage him. Let us know how it goes but do not pull him and ditch your trainer who told you so.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello all,

- especially with all the treats I use to keep him moving.
Not sure if I am understanding this.......you give him a bunch of treats to just keep walking with you?????

Does your dog get treats every he gets up after he lays down on your walks??

Then again...he's coming into that pano age as well...

SuperG

#10 ·
Another thing is maybe not give the treats so frequently. Start to really make the pup work to get treats. If the pup knows he's getting a treat for doing the bare minimum that us what he's gonna do.

#11 ·
I too would vet check first. While puppies can resist when they are concerned about their environment and the leash and all of that, he seems a bit old for it. This is likely fear or environmental concern and you want to handle that thoughtfully so you don't reinforce it. The large breed puppies can have a variety of growing pains too. Ask a vet. Also how hot is the pavement? Of course this just could be behavior. I would vet check so you have that covered and then vary what you do. Off- leash area and ideas above are good, swimming, do some simple agility in the park or woods or something. Do some obedience commands or introduce something new and play play play. I would focus on a trust bond with this dog. Vary what you do on a walk or play session to see if you can disrupt the pattern. I would not drag a puppy. You will be working against their resistance reflex and that is a bad habit to get into. Also you can amp up fear and that would be bad too. Yes be a leader. But vary the walks. When he stops move in front of him with his favorite toy, act like an adolescent girl and get him to come to you. Play play play and then walk again. If it is not physical and not weak nerves, I would expect this to dissipate with age quickly.

Reactions: wolfy dog
#12 ·
I second Wolfy Dog's advice on letting him go off leash somewhere. He's a puppy, and if left behind, will get up and run to you after a certain amount of distance. Make getting left behind a little scary and uncomfortable by ignoring him and proceeding forward. I think he'll quickly learn that keeping up with you is 1) safer, 2) more enjoyable. Give him treats every time he catches up to reinforce the "more enjoyable" part..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.