German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Itching

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Good Morning Everyone,

Sorry if this has already mentioned many times on here. However, this is the very first time I ever participated in a forum and also the first time I ever owned a German Shepherd.

My wife and I purchased a GSD two months ago. He is 22 weeks old and it's REALLY starting to bother me how much he itches himself, to include biting (his arms, back area, his tail, behind his ears). Just so you can have an idea on the frequency, today he woke up at 0530 and by 0600 he stopped what he was doing (eating, playing with his frisbee, or just walking around) 17 times to itch. I got him from a good breeder and she said none of her dogs ever had an allergy history (he comes from great blood lines to include a sieger world champion) not that it matters.

Like most pet owners, we want the best for him and we switched him from Purina to the Orijen Large Breed puppy food and he LOVES the food (licks the bowl clean every time). However I am starting to think he has a chicken allergy, but with all the meat protein sources in orijen, it's almost impossible to know if it's the chicken. Three days ago we switched him to the ACANA freshwater fish food, and we are still transitioning the food, but he is still scratching a lot.

We checked him for fleas and ticks and he doesn't have any. He's a clean dog, the complex we live on doesn't treat our lawns, the vet checked him and couldn't find anything (fleas or ticks). His coat seems fine (no dandruff and doesn't feel like straws). The only other thing I can think off is his treats. When we got him, our neighbors bought us about 25 bags of FROMM treats (lamb, chicken and salmon are the three different protein sources) however it also contains (flour potato, tapioca, and pea flour) maybe this is a cause? I read that a puppy at this age is very unlikely to have developed an allergy already, so my question to ALL is, Is this normal for a German Shepherd Dog, and if any of you experienced this, what have you done to help your dog?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hello FG and WELCOME! :greet:

Glad you changed to the Acana Fish!

Improvement in itching will take several weeks, IF it was the kibble. The "offender" (whatever it is) takes a while to purge itself from the body. Also, only use treats which have the same ingredients as your food or use the kibble for treats. That way you will know.

Itching could also be from vaccinations, flea/tick topicals, a new dog bed, new furniture or rugs in your home even the products you use in your home. Personally, I would not vaccinate again until this itching subsides. His body is inflamed right now.

To help with Itching:
For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store can help with itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild herbal or castile soap (such as Bronner's from a health food store) (see note below about shampoo’s), rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.
*You can even add the Organic ACV to his food to help.
[FONT=&quot]• Up to 25# = ½ teaspoon per day
• 25# - 50# = 1 teaspoon per day
• 50# -75# = 2 teaspoons per day
• 75# 100# = 1 Tablespoon per day.

[/FONT]
Shampoo:

IF you have a dog that is sensitive to grains, beware of other GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Organic Shampoo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

Put your zip code in this site to see stores that carry it: https://www.drharveys.com/products/dogs/71-herbal-shampoo-organic-shampoo-with-real-essential-herbs

Moms :)

#3 ·
My pup seemed extra itchy when he was young. I was super worried it was allergies since he'd scratch and chew on his front and back legs. I was feeding him Fromm LBP Grain Free, and I also gave him fish oil and coconut oil(one in the morning and one at night). After 2- 3 months he stopped, so I am not sure if the supplements helped or if it was because he was also changing coat at the time and maybe that made him itchy. Also sometimes all it takes is 1 flea to cause a problem and they can be super hard to spot on a dog with a dark coat. I am a groomer and often have clients with a dog that is itchy and they believe doesn't have fleas, but then I will find a couple.

Finn is now one and not itchy except for the normal occasional scratching. The only relapse was when I tried to switched him over to Earthborn food, which my other dogs are on without any issues. He started chewing again and since that was the only change I switched him back to Fromm and the chewing stopped. So he may have a food allergy, I need to compare ingredients, but for now I'm keeping him on Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain Free.http://email-sg.chewy.com/wf/click?...d6vdRvURyQRR3QN1MMXu0QbyvP0gp6z7CQHCmqQ-3D-3D

So your guy may out grow it. Also how often do you bath him? Many shampoos can be drying or if you don't rinse well make a dog itchy. I like to do a final rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar get rid of any residue. I also avoid any of the "pet" shampoos you'd buy at a store, most as full of nasty chemicals, even the supposedly natural ones. Just look up the ingredients in the shampoo you use to find out what they really are. The only soaps and shampoos I use on myself are organic and I use the same on my dogs. This is were I get products for myself and my pups http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/for-the-pets/ The shampoos are in bar form, but you actually waste less since it all goes onto the fur and not the tub. Also much easier to rinse out.

#5 ·
Yeah becareful not to vaccinate now as they do cause problems all on their own and especially so when the body is stressed and the immune system is in over drive as it is. When max sheds sometimes he gets itchy but it is not a constant intense itching itching and only notice it in the beginning of massive shedding.
Our chihuahua we took on a trail walk a few weeks ago and soon after he started scratching intensely making little hot spots -3 in different areas and scratches under arm pit from scratching. He was so uncomfortable where he did not go to the bathroom. We took him to the vet and they gave him a shot for the itching and we then gave him a bath to wash off whatever may be causing the irritation. We had no problems since. The only thing I could think of was during the trail walk he brushed against something he was allergic to or irritated his skin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.