German Shepherds Forum banner

Purposely peeing in crate

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Baillif 
#1 ·
Hi, i've been having a problem with my boy Ozzy and i'm not sure how to go about solving it. I brought him home at 8 weeks old, and basically from the getgo he decided that his crate was a bathroom spot. Upon first being introduced to his kennel he peed in it (he's never actually been confined to it) so I shoved it in a corner and it hasn't been used since. He is now puppy pad trained (which i know makes it harder to outdoor train him). He is 13 weeks old now, and I brought the crate back out and put his bed in it (he sleeps on this bed everynight). The crate is big but divided in half, and the bed covered the entire floor of the crate. I was hoping since his bed was in there, he would start sleeping in there no problem and we cound eventually start confining him. I was wrong, he peed on his bed.

Long story short, how do I get through to him that his crate is not somewhere to pee? I would really like to start crate training him but it can't be done when he already thinks he's allowed to pee there. Any advice is appreciated!

#2 ·
Hi there. You should have been washing thoroughly everything Ozzy has peed on with an enzyme cleaner. The enzyme cleaner breaks down the protein strands in the urine so he doesn't get the 'scent ok' to use that area as his toilet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.