German Shepherds Forum banner

Not normal puppy behavior, I do not know what to do.

15K views 135 replies 29 participants last post by  Haystack 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I've seen many similar threads to mine, but none of them are helping me, because I've attempted everything those people suggested.

Let me start off to say that I'm 17 years old, and I live in a large house with at least 12 people living in here (all family.)

This is my first GSD puppy, I've always been in-love with the breed and before I ever owned one I've always researched about them watched training videos and lots of stuff, so I knew I was prepared for a dog, and or puppy and had a very positive attitude when the idea came that I was getting a German Shepherd puppy... And now I just really want to say..

It really sucks. I want to cry, because of how exhausting this all is,

Before I start talking about everything I'm gonna list his problems;

* Does not potty outside, I take him out to grassy areas that are fenced up, bring his toys, and play with him outside for a long time, until he's tired out, and let him chase me. The moment he gets home he pees & poos in the house, or on the balcony.

* Knows a few things like, sit, off, and come and his name. Does not respond unless he feels like it and or if I have a treat.

* Puts his whole mouth on anyone, including kids of the age of 12, and bites really hard, and bites any hands he sees really hard. He drew blood on my 15 year old brother 5 times. Ran after my little brothers 12 year old friend and bit her leg and held onto it. Bites really hard, can't teach him bite inhibition because he doesn't respond to "ouch!" And if you walk away, he basically attacks you, by biting your leg, biting harder and harder.

* Cannot be redirected with a toy because he has no interest in any of his toys, he rather bite your hand, or any human thing, so textbook, shoes etc.

* Still bites insanely hard even when tired out.

*Humped people at 8 - 9 weeks, humped at least 5 times.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you crate training puppy?

Do not play with him outside UNTIL he does his business.

Take him from his crate, to outside, give command for potty, reward when he pitties, bring him back inside. Then go back out to play. You need to separate the two things.

Put the pup on a tether. Do not let him chase and grab on to people.

How long have you had him! How old is he. Puppies learn through repetition. So if you are trying something and it doesn't work, it doesn't mean it won't work. But you actually have to give them time to learn.

Did you learn to add the first time you tried?

#6 ·
I just posted the whole story, my sister messed up the whole crate training process and wouldn't allow me to do it because she rather listen to her friends. He does go in his crate himself and sleep at times, but when we put him in there now, he'll sometimes pass out right away, other times he'll cry for a while then pass out. He's never done his business in there once. On the first day, instead of my sister allowing me to properly crate train him with treats, she stuck him in the crate, closed it and let him cry all night.. Because her friend said so. In the middle of the night I would get up and open the door, let him calm down and re-enter himself, and pet him over and over till he fell asleep, then close it.

I was told every 2 hours to take him out to potty, by picking him up and running outside, but again, my sister took control and decided just to open the balcony door and let him go on the balcony with me scrubbing it and cleaning it all the time expecting him to go on the puppy pads, I then told her that's not the proper way to do that, so now he'll only go inside the house or on the balcony.

I will tether him for now on, I put him on the leash a bit ago and supervised him rather then allow him to roam, the whole entire 30 minutes, he would purposely fall hard on his back on the fluffy carpet, try to bite things, and cry/whine, and get very frustrated, then fell asleep. I will do that more often though.

We got him at 8 weeks and 1 day, he's now 10 weeks. And, I know about that, I've been sticking to the same two things, first if I play, I won't even roughly play with him because I'm a laid back person I don't hype him up, but then he'll randomly start biting, if we're playing tug or with any of his other toys, so I'll redirect him on another toy, instead he avoids the toy instantly and goes strictly for my hand, and once he gets my hand he puts his whole mouth and start biting (which my brother ALLOWED him to do.) I'll then instantly end play time, but he'll follow after me and put his whole mouth on my leg and pants, and bite down. He's ruined a couple of my pants now for doing that.

#3 ·
Crate training is the best way to potty train your pup because a shot won't pee or poo where it sleeps (unless you leave it for hours on end and it has no choice) before you put your pup in his crate make sure he has food and water so when he cries you know its only because he has to use the restroom. It's hard at first because he will need to get used to the crate and it will be kind of confusing but honestly once you're consistent with it you will know how to differ his cries. All puppies want to do is play so if he's biting on hands and feet put him in a time out area that has no toys and he can't see anyone only for a couple of minutes and then bring him back out. Make EVERYTHING about rewards, he gives you something you give back. EX: (if you're not free feeding) Before you put his food bowl down have him sit and let his food be the reward. Let him know he must give to receive. What worked for my pup is toys that made a good amount of noise. At first I had to make home made toys so I crumpled up some paper and put it in a sock, gave him water bottles, anything that would keep his attention. He likes hands and feet A. because all he wants is to play. He is not trying to hurt you, puppies explore with their mouths. (try the yelping and ignoring it won't stop biting but it will give him a softer mouth) B. Hands and feet are moving so it will grab his attention. In response to "does not respond without reward" he's a baby and he is still learning, it may take a bit to just respond to commands.

I HAD THE SAME CONCERNS but with consistency you will see change. I listened to what experienced owners from this site were telling me I needed to do and trust me these things will work they just take time. Some pups are more stubborn. Patience is key.

#8 ·
He's gotten use to his crate, he's never peed, or pooped in there, he wakes me up everyday at 6 AM and we let him out to do his business, but like I said he'll only go on the balcony because of what my sister let him do (he never goes outside, only rarely, but moment we get home he pees / poos, if he cannot get to the balcony), so everyday I have to scrub it down, or he'll go in the same spot he peed / pooped in the house, despite me trying to clean it with multiple things to get the smell out, he still goes. Sometimes when I'm so tired because there is nights where I help people so I'm up till 4 AM, and rarely get sleep, so I'll let him out his crate to go outside, but he won't go in our backyard, so I wait there for a good hour till he goes to the bathroom, but he won't go in the yard, so I assume he doesn't have to go potty, so I end up falling asleep, with him curled up in front of me since I'm so tired to put him back in his crate, and then hours later when I wake up I'll find his business on the floor in the same spot, in the corner of one of the rooms.

Yelping doesn't work :( it seems to promote him to do it more and harder, he barks and wags his tail, and then starts biting our legs again.

Problem with his food too, he will not eat, he only eats little amounts, I feed him twice a day, which I was told to do by the vet, and the vet gave me a certain food for him for now.. I always make him sit when I hand it to him, which he does, but will eat a bit, and then he's done for the whole day, so lately I've been trying to hand feed him one by one, I don't know if it's because his mouth hurts so bad from teething, maybe? That's why he doesn't wanna eat. He's 20 pounds, almost 21 pounds, at 10 weeks. The vet said he was perfectly healthy, so I'm not 100% sure.. I need to take one of his poo samples to make sure he has no worms.

#4 ·
How old is he now? I'll repeat a lot of what gsdsar said, because the details are what makes the difference. You have to think about everything in small, single pieces to train it. Like was said, the potty training has to be very direct. Enough things are distracting to a puppy without us adding toys and play to it. Directly to the potty area and nothing till he goes. No reward or exciting praise. Just calm, matter of fact, then move away to do something else. The way gsdsar mentioned separating by going in then coming back out to play is a good help for narrowing things down to focus on the potty training. It creates a one thing at a time routine.

I keep a light leash on them all the time except when they're crated or in an xpen contained so they can't get into anything. Its easier to keep them under control with a leash then trying to grab them, which brings your hands too much into focus. The other part of that is some of them aren't ready for the type of affection, petting, hugging, stuff you want them to be into. They can find it too restrictive and they resist it, usually by biting.

The training and treats thing is basically the same idea as the potty training. A clear beginning and a clear ending. Tell him Ready, work with him, tell him done, put him away. It makes that time mean something to him.

Don't cry. There's no crying in dog training. I think that was in Turner and Hootch.

#10 ·
My baby is 10 weeks old currently. I will do that, thanks, should I keep him on the leash all the time for now on, everyone has been telling me that, keep him on the leash and make him follow you every where you go in the house, I know GSD's are a favorite picking dog most of the time and tend to bond with ONE person more than others, as they're very loyal, so he seems to be a mess while doing his own thing around the house, so should I keep him on the leash for now on until he's old enough?

I tend to take off his leash and collar most of the time in the house because of his growing neck but i'll stop that.

#5 ·
Just wanted to add; WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG:

Here's the story;

Weeks back, my mother decided on buying a protection dog for the family, but I didn't care about having a protection dog, I just happy that I was acquiring one of my favorite breeds, and wanted a best friend.. So a friend of ours week beforehand who's GSD passed away recommended us to the breeder she got her amazing dog from, she was also going to get a puppy for herself from the breeder, so we then all of us booked an appointment to go see the breeder, we were impressed by her dogs and her main show dog gorgeous sire, then she also showed us the parents to her current litters. The breeder then told us she has no problem selling the pups so she doesn't care if we put a deposit on the last one or not, my sister fell in-love with the puppies, and decided to put the deposit down on the last male.. We weren't allowed to select our puppy keep in mind (because people had already reserved their pup EVEN before they were born), during the appointment when we saw them there was already a family there, playing with them the breeder didn't allow us to play with them only go in their pen with them while they were sleeping and pick them up, and play in the pen. My sister than put down the deposit because she fell in-love with them all.

1 Week later, we had a whole week to prepare for our new puppy, I told my sister to buy everything he needs now, that means, toys, a crate, his food (call the breeder and ask her what brand, etc.), and a bunch more of other stuff. My sister kept telling me no, because "we don't have him yet" which bothered me.. Week later, it was pickup day, instead of my sister bringing me, she brought her friend who owns a miniature pinscher, and because she owns one she was automatically a dog expert in my sister's eyes, so, the day they picked up our puppy, her friend convinced her to get the last pup who seemed shy as he hid under this car decor thing at the breeders, also squirmed a bit when picked up...

By the way before you read this part, keep in mind I had told my sister weeks beforehand to watch training videos..

Problem #1: Skip the story, we finally brought our puppy home (yay!) We only had a leash and collar for him, because my sister didn't wanna buy stuff beforehand, but later in the night the day we brought him home, we brought the crate and treats, and all of that. Problem is, we never had the correct food, because my sister was afraid of calling the breeder and asking what kind of food he was eating (the breeder seems mean towards her).. So my sister bought a different raw food brand that was completely different. Our puppy has now been switched on the correct food but only eats little amounts, he's 10 weeks old and weighs 20 pounds.. He never wants to eat, only a little bit, but will drink loads of water.

Problem #2 The day we got him we didn't have a crate until night time, my sister took her friends advice as in; "put him in the crate and close the door." I told my sister not to do that you have to gradually allow him to get use to the crate, as in introduce him and let him explore, treat him etc. Like in the training videos and books, but she refused to listen to me, instead she stuck him in there and closed the door and let him cry all night, at times I sneaked in and opened the crate door and comforted him, and left it open while I sat infront, petting him, till he calms down and falls asleep. This seemed to help him a lot.. But, times we do put him in he cries, but then passes out.

Problem #3 Potty training him. My sister kept letting him go on our balcony (which is ridiculous, we don't live in an apartment) I told her not to do this, but she kept doing it, so now he goes outside on the balcony, but not anywhere else unless it's inside the house in the same corner... I take him every day outside, for a short walk, then take him to a park which is 1 minute away from us.. It isn't a dog park, it's fenced in and a great size, I let him run around and chase me and I bring his toys to play with him to tire him out, even if we're there for such a long time not once will he poop and or pee, but the moment we get to the house, he pees on the floor... Or on the balcony...

Problem #4 Training him... On the first week everyone was trying to train him, and put him on a leash and everything, expecting him to know to do everything.. When I told them he cannot do everything he's a baby they wouldn't listen though.. I then taught him how to sit, and he responds when I say sit, but I have to say the word a couple of times before he does it, sometimes he'll do it straight away, most of the time I have to repeat myself. We're in a household of 12 people, everyone crowds around, making it very hard to train him.. He knows his name as well, and "come" and "off" but he only responds to these whenever he feels like it.

Problem #5 Hardcore biting... When we got him he was never a biter, he was very gentle, days later, my brother started sticking his hands in his mouth promoting him to bite my brother, he then finally bit my brother, and my brother was laughing, and kept making him bite more, my brother then laid on the ground and getting him to bite my brother, while shoving him back, laughing .. Then it got out of hand where my brother yelled "STOP! STOP!" but he wouldn't stop so my brother kept shoving him back and letting him bite and play with him.. Ever since this, he starts biting us roughly, putting his entire mouth on our leg putting his full force baby teeth on our legs, when he sees our hands, same thing, and refuses to go for a toy, but only our hands. Redirection and everything recommended to us does NOT work because he's stubborn and wants to do what he wants.

Problem #6 Humping, at 8 weeks old he was humping things, he's humped my sister twice now, and today he humped a towel, is this normal?

Problem #7 His behavior is amazing when we're in public though, he barks at no one, and or anything, in the car he falls asleep instantly, when meeting new people he's slightly shy, but doesn't jump all over them or any of that.

Are all of these behaviors normal for an 10 week old puppy, how can I correct exactly each and every one of them?

I know this is a lot to say, I'm sorry, you guys have every right to yell at me, it's my fault. I want to cry, and feel like I've already ruined everything, to where I cannot fix it, I don't know what to do.. I love my puppy though, and refuse to give him up, so please don't recommend me that as an option. I've even called the breeder and asked her what to do, she told me she doesn't know what to do because none of her pups have done that.. So I don't know.

Everyone is telling me the same things as well, and I'm not seeing any improvements. In 2 weeks he gets his second shot and will be allowed to go to obedience school.. But, he's already drawn blood over 5 times, especially on 12 - 15 year olds, it's that out of hand, currently...

#16 · (Edited)
Welcome to puppyhood! You've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread already.

Just wanted to add; WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG:

Here's the story;

Weeks back, my mother decided on buying a protection dog for the family, but I didn't care about having a protection dog, I just happy that I was acquiring one of my favorite breeds, and wanted a best friend.. So a friend of ours week beforehand who's GSD passed away recommended us to the breeder she got her amazing dog from, she was also going to get a puppy for herself from the breeder, so we then all of us booked an appointment to go see the breeder, we were impressed by her dogs and her main show dog gorgeous sire, then she also showed us the parents to her current litters. The breeder then told us she has no problem selling the pups so she doesn't care if we put a deposit on the last one or not, my sister fell in-love with the puppies, and decided to put the deposit down on the last male.. We weren't allowed to select our puppy keep in mind (because people had already reserved their pup EVEN before they were born), during the appointment when we saw them there was already a family there, playing with them the breeder didn't allow us to play with them only go in their pen with them while they were sleeping and pick them up, and play in the pen. My sister than put down the deposit because she fell in-love with them all.

1 Week later, we had a whole week to prepare for our new puppy, I told my sister to buy everything he needs now, that means, toys, a crate, his food (call the breeder and ask her what brand, etc.), and a bunch more of other stuff. My sister kept telling me no, because "we don't have him yet" which bothered me.. Week later, it was pickup day, instead of my sister bringing me, she brought her friend who owns a miniature pinscher, and because she owns one she was automatically a dog expert in my sister's eyes, so, the day they picked up our puppy, her friend convinced her to get the last pup who seemed shy as he hid under this car decor thing at the breeders, also squirmed a bit when picked up...

By the way before you read this part, keep in mind I had told my sister weeks beforehand to watch training videos..
So.. I take it this is the "family dog"? Or is it your sister's? If it is the family's you'll need to have a sit down with the entire family and get everyone on the same page as far as puppy rules.

within a family, it is pretty common for one person to be the "primary care giver". Who is that in your family?

At your age, it might not be in this pup's best interest for that person to be you. Not that you are incapable by any means, but the next several years of your life will be very exciting - college, starting a career, etc. And most likely not very dog friendly. If this pup is going to be the family companion the responsibility of primary caregiver might need to fall on the shoulders of someone with more stability over the next several years.

Keep this in mind especially when picking your obedience classes! Some trainers do not like the dogs in their class to have multiple handlers others actively encourage the whole family to participate.

Problem #1: Skip the story, we finally brought our puppy home (yay!) We only had a leash and collar for him, because my sister didn't wanna buy stuff beforehand, but later in the night the day we brought him home, we brought the crate and treats, and all of that. Problem is, we never had the correct food, because my sister was afraid of calling the breeder and asking what kind of food he was eating (the breeder seems mean towards her).. So my sister bought a different raw food brand that was completely different. Our puppy has now been switched on the correct food but only eats little amounts, he's 10 weeks old and weighs 20 pounds.. He never wants to eat, only a little bit, but will drink loads of water.
What is it you are feeding?

Problem #2 The day we got him we didn't have a crate until night time, my sister took her friends advice as in; "put him in the crate and close the door." I told my sister not to do that you have to gradually allow him to get use to the crate, as in introduce him and let him explore, treat him etc. Like in the training videos and books, but she refused to listen to me, instead she stuck him in there and closed the door and let him cry all night, at times I sneaked in and opened the crate door and comforted him, and left it open while I sat infront, petting him, till he calms down and falls asleep. This seemed to help him a lot.. But, times we do put him in he cries, but then passes out.
Not as big as a problem as it may seem. In a perfect world we could slowly introduce pups to crates. But in the real world we need to sleep, shower and work so pups need to acclimate to crates the day they come home. They cry. Sometimes a lot. My 8 week old puppy SCREAMED. It gets better. You just have to out mule them.

Sneaking in to comfort him actually teaches him that crying will get him attention. You reinforced the behavior. Every time you comfort him when he cries you are training him to cry more.

Problem #3 Potty training him. My sister kept letting him go on our balcony (which is ridiculous, we don't live in an apartment) I told her not to do this, but she kept doing it, so now he goes outside on the balcony, but not anywhere else unless it's inside the house in the same corner... I take him every day outside, for a short walk, then take him to a park which is 1 minute away from us.. It isn't a dog park, it's fenced in and a great size, I let him run around and chase me and I bring his toys to play with him to tire him out, even if we're there for such a long time not once will he poop and or pee, but the moment we get to the house, he pees on the floor... Or on the balcony...
Yep. Sounds like he is house trained, but thinks the balcony is his toilet area.

No more balcony access. Back to square 1 with house training. He goes directly from crate to appropriate potty area. If he doesn't go, he goes back to the crate for 5 mins. Pottying is all business until he goes. No playing first.

And I agree with carmen... too much activity for the little guy. You will create an over tired pup. Over tired pups have less self control and training doesn't sink in as well.

Problem #4 Training him... On the first week everyone was trying to train him, and put him on a leash and everything, expecting him to know to do everything.. When I told them he cannot do everything he's a baby they wouldn't listen though.. I then taught him how to sit, and he responds when I say sit, but I have to say the word a couple of times before he does it, sometimes he'll do it straight away, most of the time I have to repeat myself. We're in a household of 12 people, everyone crowds around, making it very hard to train him.. He knows his name as well, and "come" and "off" but he only responds to these whenever he feels like it.
You have to repeat yourself because he doesn't know the command yet.

Slow down. He isn't ready. You've only had him 2 weeks. You should still be luring him and he should have a near 100% rate of reward.

Don't get in the habit of repeating commands. Everytime you repeat yourself you taught the dog that it has a choice in listening to you. Say the command once, if he doesn't respond, you need to reinforce the command. At this age for commands he knows its:

"sit"
*give the dog a moment to respond*
*if no response lure the dog into the position*
"YES!"(or otherwise mark the behavior like with a clicker)
*reward*

For new commands lure first, then pair with a command once he's getting the hang of it. When he gets older and you know he knows the command 100% if he doesn't respond after the first command he will need to be corrected. Never give a command you cannot immediately reinforce.

Problem #5 Hardcore biting... When we got him he was never a biter, he was very gentle, days later, my brother started sticking his hands in his mouth promoting him to bite my brother, he then finally bit my brother, and my brother was laughing, and kept making him bite more, my brother then laid on the ground and getting him to bite my brother, while shoving him back, laughing .. Then it got out of hand where my brother yelled "STOP! STOP!" but he wouldn't stop so my brother kept shoving him back and letting him bite and play with him.. Ever since this, he starts biting us roughly, putting his entire mouth on our leg putting his full force baby teeth on our legs, when he sees our hands, same thing, and refuses to go for a toy, but only our hands. Redirection and everything recommended to us does NOT work because he's stubborn and wants to do what he wants.
Redirection and everything else does not work because you haven't been consistent with it and expect overnight miracles l.

This is 100% normal gsd puppy behavior. I would have bet it would have happened even without your brothers rough play. That calm before the storm was just the pup getting used to his new home. That said, Everyone in the family will have to be on the same page and rough play isn't advised.

It took a few MONTHS of redirection or time outs to get my pup's biting solidly under control. It does get better especially after teething.

Problem #6 Humping, at 8 weeks old he was humping things, he's humped my sister twice now, and today he humped a towel, is this normal?
Yes normal. Verbal correction and redirection as needed.

Problem #7 His behavior is amazing when we're in public though, he barks at no one, and or anything, in the car he falls asleep instantly, when meeting new people he's slightly shy, but doesn't jump all over them or any of that.
He is unsure in public. Keep exposing him to new people and places. But be very careful to go slowly as he seems a bit shy. You don't want him in a situation where he will be afraid. I'd consult a trainer asap to help you find the right balance for this pup.
Are all of these behaviors normal for an 10 week old puppy, how can I correct each and every one

I know this is a lot to say, I'm sorry, you guys have every right to yell at me, it's my fault. I want to cry, and feel like I've already ruined everything, to where I cannot fix it, I don't know what to do.. I love my puppy though, and refuse to give him up, so please don't recommend me that as an option. I've even called the breeder and asked her what to do, she told me she doesn't know what to do because none of her pups have done that.. So I don't know.

Everyone is telling me the same things as well, and I'm not seeing any improvements. In 2 weeks he gets his second shot and will be allowed to go to obedience school.. But, he's already drawn blood over 5 times, especially on 12 - 15 year olds, it's that out of hand, currently...
Patience and consistency. That's what it takes. I don't think you expectations right now are realistic, seems like you are asking too much of such a young pup. Slow down, keep at it, and you'll get there. :)

#7 ·
Yes, these are all normal for a 10 week old puppy. Read more. Also, you don't take a 10 week old puppy, teach him once and expect it to stick for the rest of his life. You should be ready to teach him for the next two years. Teach him, repeat, repeat, repeat, praise. Be clear, be consistent, be fair. You haven't given enough time and effort to have some of these methods work.

It really sounds like you could be best helped by hiring a trainer who can work with you for several months. Your expectations are not realistic for a puppy. I hope you will commit yourself for the next two years. Slow down, let the puppy play and bond with you.

Potty training will come but rarely at 10 weeks old. Be consistent. By 18 weeks he will have it down. Have you ever heard of a baby learning not to poop his diapers with one or two sessions? It take time and maturity.

#9 ·
Oh, I'm aware of this, I tried to do 2 - 5 minute training sessions every hour or so, I ran out of his liver treats, so I need to go walk and pick up some more, I'm completely ok with everything else because I can fix it, but the drawing blood issue, and the biting is so out of hand it's scaring me. It's very hard to train a puppy when there is 12 people in the household crowing us, and everyone wanting to teach him a certain way, it's been giving me a headache.

I bring him everywhere I go as well, and doing everything I can to bond with him, but then the biting becomes a big problem because it really hurts for such a small 10 week old puppy, I think he bites me softer than he bites my brothers.

And I'm committed to teaching him 100% for the next two years <3 :grin2: I love him to death, he's a very good dog, like I said though the biting is scaring me because I don't know if he's going through a really bad teething phase, or if it'll grow in such a bad uncontrollable habit to where he needs to be re-homed. And, I am considering of hiring a personal trainer, then at 12 weeks bringing him to obedience school, because it's very hard to train him with so many people.

#11 ·
Stop the insanity.
the pup wasn't parachuted into a normal environment so how can the dog possibly be any different.
forget the "protection dog" element --- the dog needs to be totally stable and able to make appropriate
decisions. This expectation does not eliminate portions of training . The dog still , even more so, needs
to be under control.

10 weeks old and it is run ragged till it is beyond exhausted - not good.
playing chase games promotes you as prey and that includes catch and hold = that grip
where is the manual on circus mikurkus playing with the pups that every one seems to follow?

stop doing this " I take him every day outside, for a short walk, then take him to a park which is 1 minute away from us.. It isn't a dog park, it's fenced in and a great size, I let him run around and chase me and I bring his toys to play with him to tire him out,"
It is too much .
When you take him out don't focus on the sit . Focus on mastering the how to move with you , which means no pulling ,staying on one side , not crossing in front, or behind , having some attention on you , not sniffing and stopping when he wants --- YOUR walk , he's going with you , not the other way around .

when people had dog sense , the dog became a member of the group and had to learn to adapt .

the dog is an apprentice to life - what ever your life style is .

to simplify things until everyone is on the same page ONE person, probably you , will be in charge of
the dogs entire schedule and training

sorry little brother , you are acting like an animal - how do you expect the dog to respond --
get little brother (and sister) out of the picture
also - the dog isn't stubborn , he has been ramped up beyond a point where he is able to control his drive
that's a people created problem

if he humps don't draw attention to it making it exciting because it gets attention -- get up and walk away

get a crate

USE the crate , which is to put dog in, close the door , give the dog peace and privacy (GO AWAY)
matter of fact - no teary departure , no "you're alive" greetings when it is time to come out
make sure all needs have been met - the dog has had opportunity to do potty business , has had
water , has had some food
you didn't help anything by sneaking in and opening the door and stroking the dog till he slept.

be consistent -- one night you are there soothing (not really) the dog , another night he cries to sleep
he will accept the routine , and later on choose it for himself .

get a quality food --- drinking loads of water may be because the food (kibble?) is very dry and
or the dog needs to eliminate waste more ---- the "cleaner" the food the less taxing on liver and kidneys

forget the treats

potty training . Choose a spot that you want this dog to use as a potty area. The dog goes there and is allowed
to do his business without toys, treats, stimulation of any sort. You can build a temporary enclosure using a large
x-pen and some shavings. To make it secure you may want to pound in some stakes in the 4 corners and one at
each side of the doorway . Put pup in . You can go away or wait a little ways away so that the dog doesn't feel
pressure to be social with you and not do his business.
Once this area has caught on the x-pen can be removed and the dog will continue to use that spot .
Almost like a kitty-litter box idea.
As soon as pup wakes up or is out of his crate he goes to the "potty".

"I've even called the breeder and asked her what to do, she told me she doesn't know what to do because none of her pups have done that.. So I don't know."
To this I say , some breeder . Sorry . Not impressed.
You have people on this forum who are not breeders giving you some good advice.

I know what I am talking about . Big revelation .
I do have a 10 week old pup myself at this very moment.

I think I am going to have to start some new threads.

#12 ·
Sounds to me like this pup IS potty trained, it know to go on the balcony and did you say one corner of the house?

#1 those areas need to be scrubbed with enzyme cleaner.

#2 think about how puppy learned to go there a d re apply to appropriate areas, maybe including physically blocking access to the previous illegal potty locations.

#3, after puppies run and play they need to go, so, when I play with mine I will often put all the toys away at the end, get serious, tell him to go and be a boring old chaperone until he does. Sometimes it is worth it to whip out the toy for one last littlr game as reward for potty so puppy does not learn that potty = all fun is over. If not still big praise or cookies or both for pottying in desired location and/or on command.

#13 ·
Yep. I learned the hard way that when it's more than just you in the house, either EVERYONE has to be on board with the EXACT same training methods, or YOU have to take on the responsibility of doing all the training yourself. Otherwise, if everyone is doing something different with the dog, they'll never end up properly trained.

Sadly, it sounds like you're fine doing all the training, but your family member(s) keep interfering and trying to do things their own way. You've got to sit down and have a talk with them; kind of a "it's my way or the highway" sort of deal.

Dogs need consistency. Especially at such a young age. I can tell you mean well and seem to be trying your best but unless you can get your family to either train the puppy the right way or leave all the training to you, I don't see your dog ending up very happy or well-trained :\

#14 ·
Maybe, show your family these answering posts. Just copy and paste them if you don't want them to read everything you've shared with us. And maybe copy some of the threads that show the difficulties that people have when their puppies get bigger, without solid consistent training. It may be a good way to get everyone on the same page, and off to a fresh start.

#15 ·
honestly all this stuff sounds super normal for someone who is just doing things a little bit inconsistently lol.

The biting always goes like that. they're getting used to you for a few days and the terror doesnt start until a few days/week later, and it's a longish phase. They do that. They are called land sharks for a reason.

Your family member didn't screw up crate training, opening the door and comforting theml when they scream is what screws up crate training. my male screamedfor almost a week in his crate and never got let out once for it, he's an angel in there now.

It takes a lot of time. Relax. 10 weeks is just the beginning. All these things are normal and can be fixed with some guidance and consistency.

#17 · (Edited)
If you train a dog to move with you , then when you are not moving -- the dog has to stop , by himself , and will often sit automatically.

will try to get a video together , need involvement from someone with a camera.

If you represent movement , and not the static exercises which will be done on command later , training will be more exiting to the dog.

If you treat the dog as a responsible , to self , and to you, thinking being , then you will have a position for good leadership and a responsible dog without inhibitions .

You are not "training" the dog . You are "being" with the dog. In order to be together and have
there is an expectation - which goes both ways . No trick training this , no conditioning for a patterned response , no prep for trialing .
How to be . Then you can branch out and do all the rest and more !

#20 ·
Ellen Nickelsberg is known to a few old members on this forum .
Having an interest in old herding genetics and genetic obedience I have had
many conversations and emails with her.
Do not agree "It is what german shepherds DO. That is the way he is genetically wired to interact with the world"
Wouldn't the insurance companies and landlords love to get a hold of this .
No it is not.
Not even future police dogs!

Not this puppy . He needs to quit NOW.
"I'm wearing a pair of shorts and he randomly went for attacking me as in biting hard as he can on my legs, and arms for no reason at all, and these are really hard full on pressure bites from him, with his whole mouth on me, I know puppies are teething but that hard? To where he's pissed off and he acts everyone in sight, and or me? He has toys around him, a new edible bone now too, and rather than going for that, he went crazy going for me and biting me."

Stop with the toys and substitutions . You are animated and act like prey and he is going for you because you won't take authority and give him a lightning fast correction . NO RESPECT .

Back to the shepherd Heyne excerpt --
he looks for the bold and daring (missing in the breed) confident dog with an ATTRACTION to sheep . A natural desire to
command and control SHEEP.
The shepherd also tests to see that there is a natural , intrinsic , interest in the handler -- not the toy , not the treat , not the ball reward, the HANDLER .
("Of course it is also very interesting for the shepherd to see how naturally attracted the puppies are to him" . )

Attraction to sheep, attraction to handler . Work independently , work co-operatively.

Commenting on the bite "One puppy goes and just bites everywhere. That is not good."

It sure isn't good . Taking control does not mean that the dog makes prey out of the sheep . He has to have self control in order to control . There has to be a clear mind . There has to be a presence .

This is not landsharky behaviour.

A shepherd wouldn't tolerate it .
Grip is genetic . Calm , open , full grip .

The OP's pup shows poor socialization .
He needs law and order . Lessons his mommy should have taught him have to be taught by his new
human family.
No nonsense .
Even one , can I say this , come-to-Jesus-moment.
The or else is , the longer this goes on the more reinforced the dog feels and the less confident the owner is .

#21 · (Edited)
I've been socializing this puppy as much as possible, I do not huddle my puppy up. My family is full of realtors, down the street is a lady who owns two not socialized shepherds, they bark and lunge at everyone kids, cars, etc. They've almost bit my older brother, and wanted to attack my puppy, the owner can't even control them on the leash they drag her, she was forced to muzzle them because of complaints. Those are not socialized dogs. She doesn't care about them either, her and her husband make over $4 million a year, they get nanny's to take care of their dogs, because they're only used for guard dogs, other than that they're neglected, and not socialized, I refuse to allow my puppy to turn this way.

I take my puppy to as many public places I can, I tell everyone who approaches him to respectfully and calmly approach him and allow him to sniff, including kids. He's been around over 30 kids already, and more than 50 parents, and including elders, he's very gentle in public places, and very well behaved in public, doesn't bark, nothing, just observes, and sits asap when I say sit. But the moment I come home with him, that's when he turns into a little monster.

At 12 weeks, I will be introducing him to many dogs (puppy classes) of course, and go straight to obedience school with him.

Also, when playing with him, during chase, he doesn't bite at anyone's legs, he stops and sits and allows to be petted. His biting occurs randomly at times when we're at home, if he doesn't get what he wants, he goes crazy and starts mouthing very hard. He drew blood again on me today, and starts making noises like grunting or whatever (not growling) as he bites us, and goes straight for our legs and feet. He doesn't care about the toys, so I do not feel if this is truly a 'teething' issue, more so, my puppy just wants to bite because when he does this, I notice he wags his tail, so I don't know if he's coming out as wanting to play when he does that, since he's tail wagging, but even when ending play time, he doesn't care he finds someone else to bite.

My friend is a German Shepherd trainer as well, and a breeder, she had trouble with him too, so, I wonder how obedience school is gonna turn out.

I'm trying to take every piece of advice I am getting from these forums and other Shepherd owners, and none of it is working. Even the breeder didn't know what to do.

Weird that he's an angel when it comes to being in public, very calm, relaxed, and happy, and gentle, and obeys nicely, but the moment we get home, it's like; "Haha! Fooled you guys!"

Also, to someone who mentioned about the vet puppy food - I do soak the food of course. The brand is called; "Ultra Grain-Free Puppy Recipe" ... It's better than the breeders food she was giving him, he was the most skinniest puppy out of all of them because he didn't like the food she was giving him and had diarrhea from the raw food, as to why we were forced to switch rather than waiting a month.

#22 ·
You are getting excellent help here, no need to add anything to that. I'm a beginner myself, so the only thing I can add is my experience with my six month old boy.

Not ashamed to say this, I have thought, "what have I gotten myself into", "I can't do this", "I'm going nuts", on almost a daily basis since getting my pup. I have probably called my pup most bad names I know in both of my mother tongues (not directly angrily).
I got my pup at 8 weeks, such an adorable little boy, super sweet, sleeping on my lap. I was on a cloud of pink marshmallows with colorful rainbows all around me. I didn't think I needed puppy class, because I got the Internet! I'm an expert! I know everything he's going to do... well... After only a few days I had gotten a reality check, and after two weeks I immediatly paid for puppy class.
Last week for example, when it started to rain, I was outside with him and I thought I could run the last part home, so I did. My boy got all excited went around me and jumped on my back and bit me, quite hard. Gave me two nice (not deep) cuts.

If I create an imaginary scale with joy on one side and frustration on the other, guess which one will be all the way down..
But if I take joy out of the scale and replace it with love, guess what happens now. :)
Currently it's a lot of hard work, I have to educate myself, I have to be consistent, I have to keep an eye on everything, etc. Not much joy in that (there is always joy, just not as an end feeling), especially when other things already give too much stress. But I love my little boy, dearly. I'd give up anything for him.

Good luck.

#23 ·
if you recall in a previous post I said that the dam , more so than the littermates, helps socialize the pup during his primary socialization period which is to his own species. Some lessons carry over to the secondary socialization which happens around the 7th , 8th to 10th week , which is to the new life to humans.

here it is " Lessons his mommy should have taught him have to be taught by his new
human family."

I didn't say you were not socializing him.

I wouldn't go out of my way to introduce a 12 week old pup to many dogs.

You could be doing too much !
"I take my puppy to as many public places I can, I tell everyone who approaches him to respectfully and calmly approach him and allow him to sniff, including kids. He's been around over 30 kids already, and more than 50 parents, and including elders, he's very gentle in public places, and very well behaved in public, doesn't bark, nothing, just observes, and sits asap when I say sit. But the moment I come home with him, that's when he turns into a little monster."

pup might be way over stimulated , over extended "But the moment I come home with him, that's when he turns into a little monster" and "but the moment we get home, it's like; "Haha! Fooled you guys"

I would keep him home . Calm him down. Teach him home-manners and limitations.
Get your family and little brother organized .

#24 ·
Sounds like an over tired puppy. Keep a leash or tab on him , hold him away from you when he goes after your legs . If he does it again it's probably time for a nap In the crate.

#25 ·
Get some scheduled naps for that pup. A couple of hours, twice a day - many people have reported marked improvements in their puppies' behaviour once they implemented regular, daily naps: Put in crate in quiet area, close crate door, let puppy alone for a couple of hours until puppy wakes up on its own.

#26 ·
I've been letting him nap more, and a lot, it hasn't been helping much. :( Today when I was home, in the morning, he decided to attack the kids.. Chasing after them, and biting and gripping onto their legs, as they try to not engage with him, and then they retreated to the couch where they were pulling back, but he was then jumping on the couch to bite them...

I then took him across the street and started playing with him till he was nice and tired out (couldn't that long because it was hot), brought him home and kept making him drink water, and then he went back to attacking the kids again. My sister then put him in the crate because the biting got out of control, I kept him in there for 3 minutes but let him out when he calmed down and he passed out on our carpet.

I've been constantly redirecting him on toys and listening to your guys advice.. So far it's going terrible right now, like sometimes he'll take a toy, or a treat, but even like taking things off his collar in the night, or his harness, he goes straight in for biting my hands.

I'm really hoping this biting will cool down, sometimes he uses a very soft mouth, but when engaged randomly he finds that chasing / biting us is play time for him, or biting us for simple things like putting leash / collar on.

I've been tethering him too lately and keeping him on the leash, he whines for a long 30 minutes before giving up, and throws a tantrum.

Important thing I need help with mostly right now:

Also, I've been trying not to repeat myself when doing things like "come" and his name, and sit. I have taught him "off" the thing is, he will not do this command unless I'm sitting down with him, treat in-hand.. Do you guys know when he will start to listen, he's 11 weeks after Sunday, I've been seeing people saying there puppy was always obedient at age 9 - 10 weeks, so I'm a little scared if I'm the one to blame :( I always try to do very short training sessions away from everyone after I've tired him out a bit, when doing simple things like "Come" he'll stare at me the whole time, unless I sit down then he'll come.

I noticed during training sessions... He avoids eye contact with me, as in he never looks at my eyes, even when I try to do exactly what Zak George does, he's just more focused on the treat, I think this has been my problem with the training.

Still need more advice guys, tired of all the bite marks on my hands, really hoping he grows out of it... And really hoping obedience school becomes a large help.

#27 · (Edited)
I've been letting him nap more, and a lot, it hasn't been helping much. :( Today when I was home, in the morning, he decided to attack the kids.. Chasing after them, and biting and gripping onto their legs, as they try to not engage with him, and then they retreated to the couch where they were pulling back, but he was then jumping on the couch to bite them...
What is it exactly the kids do when the pup gets rough with them? Are they jerking their legs up and using a high pitched voice just because they are excited and it hurts? Running from them? (You said chasing) They could be inadvertently putting the puppy into drive. Revving him up more.
I then took him across the street and started playing with him till he was nice and tired out (couldn't that long because it was hot), brought him home and kept making him drink water, and then he went back to attacking the kids again. My sister then put him in the crate because the biting got out of control, I kept him in there for 3 minutes but let him out when he calmed down and he passed out on our carpet.
Be careful with exercising him to the point he is tired at his age. Exhaustion isn't the best thing for a growing body. Let him set the pace and intensity. Also be careful with making him drink so much so soon after heavy exercise, especially as he grows. It's thought to be a contributing factor the the life threatening emergency bloat.

It really sounds like he is conditioned to interact with the kids in a revved up manner. They are going to need to completely change their approach with him. You'll need 100% full family support.

I've been constantly redirecting him on toys and listening to your guys advice.. So far it's going terrible right now, like sometimes he'll take a toy, or a treat, but even like taking things off his collar in the night, or his harness, he goes straight in for biting my hands.

I'm really hoping this biting will cool down, sometimes he uses a very soft mouth, but when engaged randomly he finds that chasing / biting us is play time for him, or biting us for simple things like putting leash / collar on.
Is every single person in the family just as consistent as redirecting as you are? Including the kids?

It gets better. Once my guy's adult teeth came in it was like a light switch moment.

Good info here:
Mouthing, Nipping and Biting in Puppies | ASPCA

Also, I've been trying not to repeat myself when doing things like "come" and his name, and sit. I have taught him "off" the thing is, he will not do this command unless I'm sitting down with him, treat in-hand..
Then he hasn't learned the command yet. He hasn't generalised it. Keep at it. You may have to reteach the command while you are in different positions. That might mean going back to luring him while you are standing etc.

Part of proofing a command is making sure it is followed in all places, under all levels of distraction. A big mistake people make while training is doing it in a static environment. I play training games with my pup's that include me giving commands while laying on the ground, hanging upside down off the couch, sitting, standing, standing on stools, etc. It was a way of adding distraction and changing it. Also helped me to make sure the dog understood exactly what the command means - sit means butt on floor immediately not butt on floor relative to a particular position of me. Somethings needed to be reinforcement as I changed stuff up.

Do you guys know when he will start to listen, he's 11 weeks after Sunday, I've been seeing people saying there puppy was always obedient at age 9 - 10 weeks, so I'm a little scared if I'm the one to blame :( I always try to do very short training sessions away from everyone after I've tired him out a bit, when doing simple things like "Come" he'll stare at me the whole time, unless I sit down then he'll come.
This is a hard question to answer. Lots of nuances. In a but shell he will listen when he understands the command, has been proofed, has a strong bond with the handler and a willingness to please them and understands that there are consequences for not obeying. Oh as well as when he has a bit of maturity.

There isn't going to be a magic age where obedience kicks in. It's going to get better a little each day. Then There will be days it seems like you have an Einstein puppy who makes progress in leaps and bounds. Only to find a week later his brains have fallen out and you swear he has forgotten everything you have taught him.

It's a process. As your dog matures and different drives and hormones kick in you'll see ups and downs.

I take it then you taught come while sitting down then?

I noticed during training sessions... He avoids eye contact with me, as in he never looks at my eyes, even when I try to do exactly what Zak George does, he's just more focused on the treat, I think this has been my problem with the training.
I'm not much of a Zak George fan... but that aside remember you have only had him like what? 3 weeks? It takes lots and lots of practice. I think I did daily practice with the focus/watch me command up until 6 months or so. Heck I still occasionally practice/reinforce it at over a year.

A little trick I learned for "watch me" is cheeking a high value treat (something human grade like a bit of cooked chicken) and spitting it at them to reward. Takes their focus off your hands completely and has them focusing on your face. It's weird and a bit gross but it's worked for me for decades.

Still need more advice guys, tired of all the bite marks on my hands, really hoping he grows out of it... And really hoping obedience school becomes a large help.
Keep it up! Puppies are cute for a reason. If it wasn't for their sheer adorableness they would have died out long ago because they can be little devil spawns ;)

Obedience school and puppy classes will be a HUGE help for you. So much of dog training is non verbal. It's hard to really give good advice over the Internet where we can't really see what's happening.

One class with a GOOD trainer who can observe how you interact with the dog can put your handling miles ahead of hours upon hours of what you are learning by reading online.

Good luck. I promise it does get better.

#28 ·
When you clean up a puppy doo pile, take it and put it in the yard where you want him to doo his business. When he smells it there, it should make him want to doo there. I have done this before and it helped.

#30 ·
Also, like to mention, I think everyone is allergic to his bites, I think more-so I am then they are, I'm not allergic to dogs in-general, just oddly his bites, this never has happened before, but I think it's been giving me headaches lately, and making me nauseous, allergy medications do help me out, so I'm really working the best as I can to get him to stop biting.

He's an adorable puppy, I should post pictures, but naughty haha :p

#32 ·
went back to page one --

want to share what the pedigree is ?

so breeder has one set of guests visiting the same day that you were and they were allowed to play and
interact with the pups.

the pups were then put into their pen where they crashed out of exhaustion and went to sleep . The breeder then
allows you to enter the pen . You and your sister wake and hold the pups and then continue play.

fast forward .... the dog is now at your house . With 12 people it has to be active . Little brother antagonizes dog .

a 10 -- TEN -- week old pup is socialized , your words "I take my puppy to as many public places I can, I tell everyone who approaches him to respectfully and calmly approach him and allow him to sniff, including kids. He's been around over 30 kids already, and more than 50 parents"

He is 10 weeks old . He doesn't even know home yet . Too much stimulation .
Rest is a necessity for growth and health, immune and hormonal.

Were the parents stable and with good temperament. Did this breeder have both parents?

#38 ·
He knows home, we're a quiet family and no my little brother doesn't antagonize him. He knows all of us really well, constantly greeting us, and wanting to be around him, follows us everywhere, and if we're taking him out for a really short walk, and we're close to home, he gets excited, because he's happy he's home.

Here, let me clear things up for you guys. We don't ever overstimulate him, really, like I said, when we do take him to places, that's honestly maybe once a while, not every single day. And when like I said we take him to a park, it's a very, very empty park. Very, empty. There are no kids, there are trees, and a fenced area, and loads of fresh grass, which he absolutely loves, I don't stay there with him for an hour, like the most I stay with him there is for 15 minutes or 25 minutes (not even that long), just to tire him out, then we're home. I do this, because he wakes me up this early, or sometimes at 6 AM to go potty, so I take him out as well to tire him, and then back into his crate he goes, and allow him to sleep, after he takes a long nap, and he has his energy again, I take him to go potty. Then let him back in the house where I'm constantly supervising him making sure he doesn't chew on anything, doesn't grab shoes (watching him) doesn't have an accident in the house...

The kids will be in the living room at times just playing their game, and not giving him attention because they're playing their game, and he'll be chewing on his bone, then randomly he starts biting them. THAT'S when the kids tend to run off to get away because he's biting way to hard.

I then try to give him a toy, but he refuses to take it, so then I correct him and he still continues.

For some odd reason, he tends to not like boys, he's actually very gentle with me but there are times where he'll just randomly swap from biting them to me, or when I put on his harness or leash, he's constantly biting me hard, or even when I just take it off. Also, again, he likes to bite the younger boys, he's OK with older guys, but not younger boys despite them being relaxed, and not even revving him up. When my neighbors kids randomly snuck in my yard to come see him (they have a girl, and a boy) he was completely OK with the little girl, letting her pet him, giving kisses, but when it came to the little boy, he growled and barked, and wanted to bite. This again, happened at around 6 PM, when I had to babysit some kids that are my family friends kids (he was with me at the time), full of energy, I started playing with him in their yard, just some fetch, brought him in, and he was again OK with the younger girl, but when it came to the little boy (by far younger) who wasn't even paying attention to him because the kid only cared about his legos, he started nipping and growling.

Also this is slightly a different question to the discussion should I buy a clicker and start clicker training him because regular hand signals and verbal signals aren't going so well.

#33 ·
Haystack , you keep asking for help . You keep getting consistent advice from experienced owners and breeders .

Sorry . You don't listen.

You put the dog into the crate for a whole long 3 minutes ? Then you let him out to crash . Useless.
The dog needs rest , peace and quiet - being removed from the temptations of preying on the kids.
NO chase games . You don't chase the dog . The dog does not chase you.
Instead of bribing the dog with replacement objects to chomp , correct the dog sharply - swift and clear that
there are to be no teeth on you.

#35 ·
Lol. If you are listening to my posts instead of being aggressive, I am doing exactly what you guys are doing, including watching as many videos & reading as many books as I can to correct his biting behavior.

Also, when I removed him from the crate, there was no children around, I gave him water, let him go outside (to do his business, brought him in) and started watching TV, he fell asleep, and then I put him in his crate, and he slept through the whole night.

I never chase the dog, and I tell everyone that. I have tried correcting the dog sharply and swiftly, and even listened to exactly what the breeder had to say. I'm seriously trying and listening to you all, so don't say that lol. I wouldn't bother asking here or even coming here if I wasn't going to listen.

I'm gonna try to keep swiftly correcting rather than swapping.

#36 ·
Good, he goes out now all the time, I started timing everything.. So after eating 20 mins - 1 hour, outside he goes. Waking up from a nap.. Outside he goes, waking up in the morning, out he goes.. It's been working, but he still has accidents in the house, but rarely.

#37 ·
[QU
OTE=Haystack;7926713]Good, he goes out now all the time, I started timing everything.. So after eating 20 mins - 1 hour, outside he goes. Waking up from a nap.. Outside he goes, waking up in the morning, out he goes.. It's been working, but he still has accidents in the house, but rarely.[/QUOTE]

giving him the opportunity to have those accidents = teaching him that it's ok to potty in the house. It can really slow down training.

Pup is either tied to your side or in a crate or exercise pen. Any time the puppy starts to sniff and circle, happy voice "lets go potty" and take them outside.

If he's having accidents in the house, someone isn't watching the puppy.

All the other things you describe are simply an over-tired, over-stimulated puppy. He's learned that pouncing and nipping and chasing are the way to interact with you. Again, that's what your family has taught him.
All these walks and socializing and training has left him constant over-tired and over-stimulated. At his age, 5-10 minutes off the property once a day is more than enough. 2-3 minutes of training at a time, a couple times a day.
Most of his time should be spent learning how to relax and settle quietly in the house.
Instead, you are training him the opposite - to never settle

#39 ·
[QU
OTE=Haystack;7926713]Good, he goes out now all the time, I started timing everything.. So after eating 20 mins - 1 hour, outside he goes. Waking up from a nap.. Outside he goes, waking up in the morning, out he goes.. It's been working, but he still has accidents in the house, but rarely.
giving him the opportunity to have those accidents = teaching him that it's ok to potty in the house. It can really slow down training.

Pup is either tied to your side or in a crate or exercise pen. Any time the puppy starts to sniff and circle, happy voice "lets go potty" and take them outside.

If he's having accidents in the house, someone isn't watching the puppy.

All the other things you describe are simply an over-tired, over-stimulated puppy. He's learned that pouncing and nipping and chasing are the way to interact with you. Again, that's what your family has taught him.
All these walks and socializing and training has left him constant over-tired and over-stimulated. At his age, 5-10 minutes off the property once a day is more than enough. 2-3 minutes of training at a time, a couple times a day.
Most of his time should be spent learning how to relax and settle quietly in the house.
Instead, you are training him the opposite - to never settle[/QUOTE]

I'm not the one allowing him to have the accidents though, there are times where my sister randomly likes to take him with her because; "My boyfriend wants to see him." - She then ends up taking him for basically the whole day, and then drops him off to me at a really random time, and it's really, really frustrating because I have him on a potty schedule so these accidents don't happen, but when she takes him and drops him off to me really late, he'll randomly pee, despite me taking him back out the first thing when she drops him off.. I don't know when he last ate, and or drank, because she doesn't tell me so it makes it so much harder. I will try to make sure there are no accidents though. It's really good though that he drags me to the backyard that's when I know for sure he needs to potty. Also, I do know when he needs to potty at time's (after when she drops him off) because I do keep an eye on him, and he goes in a certain corner, when I see him going to that corner I grab him and run outside with him because I know exactly what he's trying to do.

I have a question, should I keep his leash on 24/7 (until bed time), while having it latched onto my jeans belt loop? Would that work? I remember someone telling me to do this.

And don't worry I do the happy voice and am recognizing him with the potty word.

#40 ·
a clicker is simply a marker that he did what you ask. It signals to him "a reward is coming" You still use the same verbal or hand signals. The commands aren't "going so well" because he is a baby. He has the attention span of a gnat.

Nipping and growling is how he would interact with his siblings. When your family is doing something else, the pouncing and biting is how he knows to initiate at game. When they run off from him, it's simply part of the game. He pounces, they run, he gets to chase them. He thinks it's all part of the game.
He shouldn't be outside alone for neighbor children to be playing with him.

You've got months to go before teething is over and the biting slows down. Until then, it's simply patience and consistency. The kids need to redirect him to a toy when he is playing too rough. They need to not run away, no matter how rough he is playing because that simply becomes part of the game.

Put a leash on him and tie him to your belt loop.

#42 ·
Guys lol, I'm not being defensive about it, lol I'm listening, I promise, and no, no, he wasn't alone with the neighbor lol, I am always with him, I was with him when they snuck in just playing with him the yard, and training him a bit, and getting him use to going potty outside, then they randomly showed up in my yard and said can we see him, so I said yes.

I will tell them that, today he was biting me, and I redirected him on the toy, he tends to use a soft mouth on me, but then randomly will bite hard.. My god it hurts so bad I don't pull back or anything I grab a toy and redirect him on it, but ouch lmao.

And OK I will be putting the leash on him and putting it to my belt loop after he's done his nap in his crate, should I keep it on for the whole day? Until bed time.

#41 ·
Before you get defensive about it, remember this. Everything is about clarity for your pup. Even if you are doing A,B,C, just exactly the way its on a video, it doesn't automatically work with you and your pup. You always need to look for it to be clear to him, especially with corrections. It has to be clear what he's being corrected for, so you have to make sure there isn't 3 or 4 things going on at once in his mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.