German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate Trained, Check - House Trained, Not So Much

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dainerra 
#1 ·
My 5 month old shepherd lasts all night in the kennel without any accidents. She lasts through the morning until lunch and from lunch to the afternoon when I get home without any accidents too.

When she is running around the house she never lets me know when she needs to go out, I just take her every 2 hours.

Every once in a while she will have an accident inside without warning. I know she can hold it, but I don't know why she isn't letting me know she needs to go out.

#2 ·
Too much freedom/ too little supervision for the age.

Puppy obviously thinks it is ok to go potty in the house under a certain set of circumstances. The only way to teach puppy better judgement is to be present when the decision has to be made, meaning, puppy is never out of your sight. Then when you notice puppy getitng ready to potty you rush it out.

It's a pain but you must leash pup to you, baby gate in room ect ect so that you have eyes on at all times.

I would rarely let mine roam the house if he was freshly empty, JUST pooped and peed and healthy poop, because mine was more likely to have an accident if he was having a bit of diarrhea, probably because the urgency was worse. Whenever he had accidents, his world got WAY smaller.

#3 ·
I think it is when she is running around in the house that her accidents happen. And it happens fast - the pup just squats and goes, no sniffing around or giving any sign. The pup can't hold it any longer. I would keep the running for outside and inside for quiet activities. When I couldn't watch her inside, I would put her in her crate.

#4 ·
If you go look up a thread I started called Puppy Housebreaking Regression, there was some good advice on there.

My pup's last accident was in November. So we are 6 mos without an accident (knock on wood!!!)

Supervision! It works!

My husband is always pushing me to let him have more freedom (the dog lol), and I will point out things like: a week ago I found that he had collected a few little treasures in his kuranda cot, such as a zip tie and maybe one of my barrets. I intercepted at this point before he could enjoy his treasures. This morning for some reason he randomly decided to go shopping for loot in my closet. He is good 98 percent of the time. But until his little brain grows up enough that I think his judgment is really sound, then he needs some level of adult supervision.

If I let him make the wrong decisions now, that is the judgment he will have as an adult. So, I help him do right :)

#5 ·
Our puppy took a heck of a long time also!! About 3 months to be officially 100% potty trained. I'd say she had it down about 90% after the first month but kept having accidents here and there after that. In my opinion it took our pup that long because once I saw that she was getting the hang of it, I stopped physically taking her out myself frequently and I just figured she should take herself out. But at 3 or 4 months old they are still very young. I think if I would have been more consistent and more patient in the beginning there is no reason why it should have taken our pup any longer than a month or so. But people are busy and we do our best. I have 2 kids and with this puppy it feels like 3. Try to be patient and keep being consistent. She'll get it down.

#7 ·
I was going to ask a similar question when I saw this thread. My puppy is still in training I guess. She's 11 weeks and I've had her for 3, but she's very good about not soiling herself in the crate and making some noise when she needs to get out.

Just now however, she was having dinner in her room (small 9x10 room) and she just walks away from her food dish and squats for a pee. No sniffing or anything. All accidents get cleaned up right away and then sprayed with nature's miracle.

I'm wondering if it's my fault for not taking her out to pee after getting her out of the crate. I took her out at 8pm, she peed, I put her in the crate and had dinner, then took her out of her crate at 8:30 for dinner when this happened. I know the advice is to always take them to pee after they get out of the crate, but I just thought she'd be ok after 30 minutes.

Edit: Dangit... just noticed that this thread is kind of old :(

Anyway, things better, audie32?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.