German Shepherds Forum banner

5mnth old bratty teenager

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Katokit 
#1 ·
Willow is my 5mnth old puppy, she listens really well at home and on leash. I can get her to sit, stay, walk in a circle around me, go lay down, drop it ect. Doesnt bite, rarely jumps. So I decided to start off leash walking.

Shes never been much for treats so its a bit difficult. She stays close most of the time but if she sees a dog shes really interested in she bolts and all listening ceases to exsist. The treats dont work, dog whistle doesnt work, walking away mildley works.

I have been noticing a change in her behavior since she turned 5mnths where if shes to excited all training stops.

Should I try anything off leash to get her to listen or just keep going during this bratty stage?

I just dont want to make anyone angry at the dog park even if shes super friendly.

She gets fixed at the end of the month.

#2 ·
She probably doesn't even hear you when she gets excited plus it's just TOO rewarding for her to run off and greet another dog.The more times she does it,the more the behavior becomes ingrained.Work with her on a long line and then off leash in an enclosed space,no further away than she's able to handle.Increase distance very slowly,reward the heck out of her!Be patient and persistent and she will be conditioned to respond every time.

#5 ·
Only do off leash in a controlled situation. I've got this SportDOG Orange Check Cord Dog Leash, 30-foot - Chewy.com and it works great. Doesn't snag, can wash it off, floats, and if you step on it, it doesn't slip under your foot.

I like to walk trails and other places. But I go during off peak hours.

Work on focus on you first, then work on recall. My dog is getting that he better pay attention to me or he's going to be stopped, or he's going to be going the wrong way. Constantly call back. All of my pockets have treat remnants in them because I'm constantly rewarding him for coming back. Either voluntarily, or involuntarily. Never show anger or frustration.

My dog is the same age as yours. Two ball fetch is your friend. Trust me. Burn off some energy before you try anything

#6 ·
Willow is my 5mnth old puppy, she listens really well at home and on leash. I can get her to sit, stay, walk in a circle around me, go lay down, drop it ect. Doesnt bite, rarely jumps. So I decided to start off leash walking.

Shes never been much for treats so its a bit difficult. She stays close most of the time but if she sees a dog shes really interested in she bolts and all listening ceases to exsist. The treats dont work, dog whistle doesnt work, walking away mildley works.

I have been noticing a change in her behavior since she turned 5mnths where if shes to excited all training stops.

Should I try anything off leash to get her to listen or just keep going during this bratty stage?

I just dont want to make anyone angry at the dog park even if shes super friendly.

She gets fixed at the end of the month.

Is this your first dog?
Slow down .

Change the way you think about the dog - labeling her as bratty.

What you have is a normal UNTRAINED young dog who doesn't have issues and others on this forum may wish for in a heartbeat .

"She stays close most of the time but if she sees a dog shes really interested in she bolts and all listening ceases to exsist. "

You keep on doing this and you are creating big problems . Handler error .
Prevention is better than the cure.
A 5 month old , this dog, is not TRAINED. She is doing what comes naturally , impulsive response to something that interests her.
Your asking something of your dog that she wouldn't even be reliable On-lead .
The behaviour , which is not bratty , or bad, has been rewarding to her , and shows you at your helpless worst (The treats dont work, dog whistle doesnt work, walking away mildley works) -- ineffective .
Keep doing this and you have set up dynamics for this to repeat .
You are putting your dog at risk.
She may bolt in front of the path of an oncoming car.
She may bolt when some aggressive dog runs towards you . Then you have no way to control the situation.

"I just dont want to make anyone angry at the dog park even if shes super friendly"

my advice and I am sure many others , who may or may not be following this thread , will agree
STAY AWAY from dog parks ---

remember I said slow down? Here is another thing to think long and hard on "She gets fixed at the end of the month"
That is very young .
Look into several threads on spaying on this forum.

#7 ·
If this was my dog, I would continue with off leash, on leash is most likely what created her excessive excitement in other dogs to begin with.

The treats dont work, dog whistle doesnt work, walking away mildley works.
??? Then call her and walk away, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

I think a lot depends on the end result that you expect from your dog. A good, companion dog with a reliable recall around other dogs that you can walk off leash and take to the dog park? Then the above is what I would do.

#8 ·
Originally Posted by Katokit View Post
If this was my dog, I would continue with off leash, on leash is most likely what created her excessive excitement in other dogs to begin with.

Mineareworkingline --- this isn't responsible -- nor is it safe for the dog, nor is it in line with by-laws in most communities.

a 5 month old dog is no where near ready for off-leash work .

#9 ·
Originally Posted by Katokit View Post

Mineareworkingline --- this isn't responsible -- nor is it safe for the dog, nor is it in line with by-laws in most communities.

a 5 month old dog is no where near ready for off-leash work .
OP did not specify where she is walking her dog off leash. It is only common sense to assume it is in a location that does not have easy access to busy streets such as in a park or side/dead end street where she is encountering on /off leash dogs. Most states have laws regulating that dogs be under control, be it leash or verbal.

I am not the only person, even on this forum, who has had great success, especially with recalls, by starting puppies off leash from the day we get them. One member even posted a video to demonstrate the effectiveness of this method.

It is no secret that the mishandling of leashed dogs is frequently a cause of dog / leash reactivity. There is no need to escalate this pup's problems.

#12 ·
My dogs do not know all of those commands until they can execute them outside of the home and around outside distractions. If your dog falls apart once outside of the home then you do not have a well trained dog. You need to be consistent, you are creating a lot of bad habits which is only going to make your relationship with your dog frustrating as ****. Long lines are essentially off leash training, you can build on that via the long line because it helps you see where your flaws are in communicating with your dog and their actual understanding and how much the leash is a crutch. I start long line work with puppies and adult dogs immediately. When I am working with clients and notice they are heavily relying on the leash I have them hold the end of a long line with their thumb in their pocket , it really causes them to think and use their body language and body pressure to help guide their dog.

I have to strongly disagree with the comment above, a 5 month old is more than ready for off leash work and understanding.

#13 · (Edited)
FYI I always make sure my dog is safe before any training, She would never get the chance to bolt on a busy road.

Also I can call my dog bratty if I want to, even if shes not a brat. Because shes not and were much further with her training then your assuming wich is not wanted.

I completely agree that puppies can be taught off leash at a young start, Ive met a couple, there amazing off leash.

Its like one of the first commenters said,the other dogs are currently more rewarding then me - that being said,

I was reading a training method where you let your pup off leash - when she doesnt listen, leash her and walk away and reward her by letting her go when shes good.

Has anyone heard of this method before?

Sorry, I should have also specified, she listens outside, just not off leash. I can even get her to sit pretty for strangers.

#15 ·
The training method you speak of is partially correct.But first comes the long line.Allow her to greet the other dog,call her back and reel her in if you have to.Praise!Repeat.When she comes voluntarily RELIABLY you can release her for her reward.Don't set her up to blow you off and fail to recall.If you're not sure she'll recall then go to her or run around like a crazy person until she returns to you.Don't give her a chance to get it wrong.
That is more of a "step two" after she's doing well at home in the yard.

When my dogs were very young puppies I carried treats at all times outside and every time they came close and looked at me they got a treat and praise.Eventually I added their name and "come here!"As adults they seem thrilled when I call them and always run to me happily.I still praise the heck out of them every time.

#14 ·
"Sorry, I should have also specified, she listens outside, just not off leash. I can even get her to sit pretty for strangers. "

so she isn't trained , and off leash is not an option until you can control a situation.

you can call your dog anything you like that is for sure. My comment was to disenfranchise you from thoughts that the dog was rebellious , scheming , retaliating -- all those sentiments when the dog is simply not trained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.