Aggression to older smaller dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aggression to older smaller dog

Mika is an 18 week old 45 pound GSD, and I know in my heart she is going to be a good girl, but I have a 9 year old cocker spaniel who is not an aggressive dog at all and is chased by Mika. I can't let them outside together because Mika chases Poppy and jumps on her and I'm afraid she is going to hurt her. We have a long leash on Mika and a prong collar, and I have to step on the leash when I see her tracking Poppy or one of my cats. I'm working on getting her attention, but she is just a puppy and easily distracted. We are in training now, where she is the perfect dog, of course. Any suggestions on stopping the chasing?
poppysmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When my Sting was a puppy I had a cat who was old but used to dogs. Sting was a big pup also like your Mika. He wanted to chase the cat. What I did was to distract him with his bear toy but I also had him on a 6 ft. leash with a flat collar. I either held the leash or had it tied to my belt. I could this way easily distract him. I also provided him with plenty of play time and walks outdoors with me and the cat was inside. He also slept in his crate at night and took naps during the day in his crate so the cat would have time with me.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

4 month old puppy with older blind dog I wrote up something here. You can use a regular collar, more teaching and guiding with voice, stopping behavior before it starts.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
When my Sting was a puppy I had a cat who was old but used to dogs. Sting was a big pup also like your Mika. He wanted to chase the cat. What I did was to distract him with his bear toy but I also had him on a 6 ft. leash with a flat collar. I either held the leash or had it tied to my belt. I could this way easily distract him. I also provided him with plenty of play time and walks outdoors with me and the cat was inside. He also slept in his crate at night and took naps during the day in his crate so the cat would have time with me.
Thanks. I hate the prong, but right now it is best for her. She is so hard headed. She is so protective of me, not letting my cocker or cats get between us. I work full time and my husband has her during the day but he is disabled and not able to work with her much, so when I get home she is ready to tackle anything. Will she ever grow out of this need to dominate and attack my cocker? Or is this part of GSD puppyhood?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please, DO NOT use a prong collar on an 18 week old puppy. You stated you are going to training. You need to speak to your trainer and follow their advice. If they advise you to use a prong, go to a different trainer.

AND your puppy is NOT showing aggression or dominance towards the cat and older dog. It is showing NORMAL GSD behavior. You should be building confidence in your pup now, not applying harsh corrections for normal behavior.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppysmama View Post
Thanks. She is so hard headed. She is so protective of me, not letting my cocker or cats get between us.
Also, she is NOT protecting you. This is called resource guarding. She feels that she has the right to decide what belongs to her and right now that is you. She feels the other dogs don't have the right and you don't have the right to tell her differently.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

So how do I correct the resource guarding? I know I'm ignorant on GSD puppies. We have had shepherd mixes, large dogs before, but I've wasn't around for puppyhood and they were really good to my smaller critters. The prong collar was for her pulling, but she has pretty much stopped that, so I will get a better collar for her. Thanks to all for the comments.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are all kinds of ways for you to train your pup. Everyone has an opinion at what is the best way to train. You have to find a way that is best for you and your pup. I'd like to encourage you to not seek instant gratification with training. Work with your pup. Build confidence within your pup. Build a solid foundation to a lifetime together.

You really need to speak with your trainer. Seeking advice from a professional is really the best way to go. They see you, they see your pup.

At home, a great way to take back your leadership role is utilizing NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free). Use it 24/7. Try to get the entire household involved.

When your pup tries to engage your Coker Spaniel, it's seeking someone to play with. Exercise...exercise...exercise. A tired pup is a good pup. What ever you are doing now is not enough.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you. I'll try it.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am having the same problem with my 8 month old GSD girl! She goes right after my old pugs, bites at the back of their necks and flips them over on their backs- very frightening. She just started level 1 obeience classes, so I will talk to our trainer about it. Please let us know how your situation works out.
maxtmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.