Puppy pooping in crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy pooping in crate

My puppy is pooping the crate regularly.

She will be 17 weeks on friday and we got her at 12 weeks. She has a few couple day spans where she didn't but other than that its been pretty much every time.

Any reason behind this? She seems to know it shouldn't be there because she either throw it out of the crate onto the floor or she stuffs it into the corner.
stellaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaGSD View Post
My puppy is pooping the crate regularly.

She will be 17 weeks on friday and we got her at 12 weeks. She has a few couple day spans where she didn't but other than that its been pretty much every time.

Any reason behind this? She seems to know it shouldn't be there because she either throw it out of the crate onto the floor or she stuffs it into the corner.
Take her outside more often! I know when Molly was a pup I brought her out every 2 to 3 hours.
Miss Molly May is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

she'll poop in the crate immediately after coming inside after being out for 20 minutes...only when we leave. not if shes in the crate while we're home.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

How big is your crate? If the crate is big enough for her to poop in one corner, and then scuttle over and sleep in the other corner, it's too big.

Also - do you have any bedding / blankets in there? If yes, take them out - she can use that to hide her poop.

I also think you need to put more positive reinforcement on her when she does poop OUTSIDE!!! Make it a poop party LOL ... seriously, praise her like crazy when she does it outside.

Another thing you can try is bring her outside - tell her to go poop (or whatever it is you want to say) ... let her walk around and sniff for a few minutes and if she doesn't go, bring her back inside. Keep her close to you (not in the crate), and then try again in 5-10 minutes. When she does do it, praise praise praise.

You might have to do this 3-4 times ... but it will help your pup get the idea of what you expect from her with the command, and that it's to be done outside!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaGSD View Post
she'll poop in the crate immediately after coming inside after being out for 20 minutes...only when we leave. not if shes in the crate while we're home.
Then my guess would be she is not going outside prior to being placed in the crate You need to break this habit.

She doesn't "know" it's not supposed to be there. she's just trying to keep her living space clean.

Is she leashed when outside to go? or loose and running around? Do you praise and treat her when she goes outside?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

we bring her outside on a leash to the same spot everytime and even if she does go outside she'll still go in the crate.

we've tried no blankets, she still does it it just makes a huge mess as compared to a little mess with the blankets.

and we do praise her and celebrate when she goes outside.

and by saying she knows its not supposed to be there, I'm saying she hasn't lost that instinct to keep her den clean like some people claim can happen after enough accidents.

Last edited by stellaGSD; 11-19-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

got it. How soon after she eats are you taking her out? Are you taking her out first thing, feeding her and then putting her in the crate? Or do you take her out after you feed her as well?

What have you cleaned the crate pan with? An enzyme cleaner? I would scrub it with vinegar and rinse it off to get that smell out of there.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

a normal day is i wake up very early she goes out and goes back in then my girlfriend takes her out an hour later. feeds her. takes her out a couple times over an hour and then goes to work.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is it loose like she couldn't hold it? Or formed? Can you make her crate area smaller? She obviously wants to keep the area clean but is making no effort to control so somehow you need to catch her in the act, get her attention and run her outside. Just like you would if she were loose in the house. Teach her that going there is inappropriate. Can you do this on weekends? Are those your days off? Follow exactly what you would do on work days?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

she will NOT poop in the crate when we are there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.