First time owner - biting is out of control! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time owner - biting is out of control!

Hi! I'm new to this site, and this is my first post. I got my little girl Scout from a breeder when she was 12 weeks old. She will be 17 weeks old on Sunday. She's my first dog ever, and so there's some things that may be normal puppy behavior, but are worrying me.

She bites. A LOT. I've read that GSD are little landsharks when they are puppies but I'm just so scared that this phase will never end. She bites me practically all the time (seriously, there are hardly any breaks during the day), except for the rare moments when she's sleepy and very sweet. She lunges at my legs and clothes when I'm getting dressed, and she's even lunged and bitten my face a few times. It's never been hard enough to break the skin, and I believe she's doing it playfully, but I just want this behavior to stop. I've literally tried everything (yelping, holding her muzzle gently, time outs, the loud clanging, redirection with a toy, etc) and nothing really sticks with her. She seems to bite because she always wants to be playing, but I just need reassurance that this phase will pass! Also, when I try to stop her from biting, she will usually snap her jaws at me and bark. The time-out method seems to work the best out of any of them, so I'm going to continue with that... Is this normal? My friends and family don't really like being around her because she is so mouthy and hyper, which makes me sad. When they are puppies, do they just bite everything and everyone 24/7? She's very difficult to be around and play with because of this.

Also, she gets a lot of exercise, 3-5 walks per day (30 minutes for each walk, and she's tired on the way home) and she also is in training classes and goes to doggy daycare, which tires her out. She's just a really hyper puppy

Other than that, she's an incredibly smart dog and I love her so much. Thanks for your replies, sorry for the length!!
ErinandScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How well I remember those days. . . . yes I promise it ends. Your best bet is to always be armed with a several toys to shove in her mouth as soon as she opens it. If she spits it out and comes back at you (which she will) shove another toy in her mouth. Just keep rotating them like that.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

We have all gone through this stage, it does end.
Keep those toys coming as the previous poster said. Soon, she will be teething, if not already. I made hunks of ice, and gave them to my boy, he gnawed on them, not me.. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 5 month-old GSD and he continues to be mouthy, but, with the help of this board and puppy classes, the amount of nipping has gone down tremendously. He will be 6 months old on thanksgiving and I wish we had nipped his nipping in the bud when it began. Sometimes the "Ow!" or any high-pitched word in reacting would stop it, momentarily, but then he thought it was play. Then my hand became the toy--the board suggested always having a toy to replace---and it does work (if he wants it). Our trainer (at class) says he is a good boy who is a spoiled brat but not aggressive (I asked, even with the crunchy nose? Nope, not aggression) and we (I) have indulged him (now we pay the price of countering the bad behavior with alternative behavior, a treat for not jumping but sitting and staying, more general praise and now FIRM no. No tapping of the nose, no physical reaction from me and I have learned to keep my emotions in check (how many tears can a person cry over an exhausting, lovable, loyal pup?)

Biggest tip I have used: crate naps for puppy-dearest (aka--devil dog). He still naps for @2 hours a day even with his long sleeping habits (which have slowly diminished since his last tooth fell, last week, go figure :-) Peruse the boards and search for specific behaviors---the boards are a god-send to newbies with a wealth of info!

Good luck and it is worth it---it totally gets better!
MamaofLEO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies! I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that her crazy mouthing behavior is normal at this stage. Because she definitely is being a little devil dog right now - I understand what you mean MamaofLEO

The vet said she's teething badly right now, so it makes sense. Just hoping this will all end soon, fingers crossed!
ErinandScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Every GSD puppy should come with a few boxes of bandaids and a couple of tubes of antibiotic ointment.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

This will continue for months to come haha unfortunately it's the price we pay for these great dogs! I agree with the toy exchange instead of your hands. Physical exercise is always great, but mental challenges are even better! find a way to keep her mentally focused and continue your other methods and you will have a wonderful dog in the end! goodluck to your hands
jaudlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

ALSO, take a facecloth, soak it in water, then freeze it. makes for a great (free) teething chew toy that can be replaced easily!
jaudlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It isn't really a stage. You either correct the puppy for it or you allow it to continue and hope it goes away or you start redirecting the puppy to a more entertaining target while making yourself as boring and non reactive a target as possible.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaudlee View Post
ALSO, take a facecloth, soak it in water, then freeze it. makes for a great (free) teething chew toy that can be replaced easily!

Do NOT use a rug. It will be shredded and swallowed.
Use the a rope from the pet shop. Wet and freeze. Reuse as many times you want.
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.