German Shepherds Forum banner

Females are less "crazy" during adolescence?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
Some people at the dog park were saying that female dogs, in general, are far less crazy and wild during adolescence, and that it's mostly the male dogs that lose their heads for a while.

They almost seemed to think female adolescence is not a big deal at all.

Is this true? (Hoping it's true)

#2 ·
Hmm... I don't know. My girl just just rounded 5 months and she's a handful...lol. It's been a while since I have had a male dog, but I seem to recall that it isn't all that different.

It seems to me that the key is to keep working with her; don't let up and don't give up. Even through the rough times I can definitely see the fruits of my labour.

Good luck to you!

#5 ·
My male was WAY easier through adolescence - had no marking, was not a punk with me at all, never really changed other than he liked the ladies more when they were in heat.

My female - oh dear lord, I nearly sold her...every week...LOL She was nuts, disobedient, testy, did everything she could think of to outsmart you - absolute nightmare!

Totally dog dependant - not sex dependant...

#6 ·
That is good to know. My males (WD and D) were challenging while the current female, Deja, is as mellow as pie. Because of the males I almost decided not to get another male GSD in a few years.
Unfortunately I had to part with the males before the end of their adolescence due to their health reasons, just as I was getting them where I wanted them to be.

#10 ·
I don't get into conversations with people who make blanket statements like that based on limited knowledge or experience. My females have all been more challenging than the males. If there was no mischief to get into they made their own at that age. My males have all been easier and calmer.

In my experience it depends on the dog's temperament more than gender.

#11 ·
Neither of mine, one male and one female were crazy. High energy, yes. They didn't get into stuff or chew stuff. Now my male golden that is about 16 months has given me a run for my money...

#12 ·
Going by my experience... that is totally NOT true... lol.

At 3.5 years old, my female is STILL "crazy". It doesn't seem as "bad" now though because I am use to the crazy... well... until she out smarts me and comes up with a whole new level of "crazy" and I am back to crying in the corner....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.