German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Two questions Jumping and Tug of war (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/485402-two-questions-jumping-tug-war.html)

GaFan1984 09-03-2014 09:44 PM

Two questions Jumping and Tug of war

Hello,

I have a 14 week old GSD Female. She is extremely smart and for the most part listen well, but I have recently have been having a problem with her jumping on me and my kids. I was curious if anyone could direct me to some effective methods on stopping the jumping? I also was wondering if playing tug of war will make her aggressive? I have read that it is not good to play tug of war,but she seems to like it..

Thanks

Mary Beth 09-03-2014 10:09 PM

For the jumping up, I found what worked with my Sting was to turn my back. I tried everything else stepping on his toes, kneeing his chest. He just thought I wanted to play. The ignoring worked. For tug, it doesn't make the pup agressive, but provides an acceptable outlet for the prey drive. Be sure to let the pup win after a struggle as that satisifies the prey drive. At your pup's age, she may really enjoy a flirt pole.

GaFan1984 09-03-2014 10:11 PM

Thanks Mary Beth!

onyx'girl 09-03-2014 10:12 PM

I agree, get a flirtpole wear her out(but be careful so she isn't skidding or launching high) and you may see her not jumping on the kids so much.
Tug is a great outlet, but at her age, she's getting into her heavy teething stage, so gentle tug or let her win all the time til she's done teething.
I'd get some fresh beef knucklebones to chew on, under supervision.

wolfy dog 09-04-2014 12:21 AM

...and keep her contained (leash, crate, x pen) to give the kids a break and prevent bad behavior from ingraining.

wyowolf 09-04-2014 07:38 AM

second the flirt pole!!! can make her burn up a lot of energy that way... I got the horse one on amazon for like 20 bucks... its a bit longer, 6 feet and when you swing it she really has to work to run back and forth...

bob_barker 09-04-2014 08:20 AM

Turning my back when they jump has always worked for me. Also when I train to sit, every one has a different hand command with it, I use an open hand and hold it up.
Think of what kids do when dogs jump up them they throw their hands in the air.... Mine have always caught on very quickly!

Good luck! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TEZPUR1976 09-05-2014 04:43 AM

Tug of war will NOT make her aggresive for sure. I have tried it. You may lease research in the net.

GSDhistorian 09-05-2014 07:00 AM

Tug of war will NOT make a dog aggressive, so your ok there :) That is just a some dog expert wannabee's will try and say. As far as jumping, when they jump, correct them as soon as they do and say NO while you firmly but gently stop them.