the stupid "I love discovering" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default the stupid "I love discovering"

I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!
Everytime I take her for a walk she keeps sniffing in EVERYTHING,
I really hate this and its annoying me I almost hit her I am just trying to keep my anger inside me, but I don't think I will keep calming my self down like this for long, she also almost felt down into a 10 feet hole.
How do I stop this stupid behavior! I tried using leash pressure but she doesn't stop

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs use their nose like we use our eyes. I don't understand why it is so annoying to you?
It isn't stupid behavior but natural instinct.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxil View Post
I really hate this and its annoying me I almost hit her I am just trying to keep my anger inside me,

Maybe you should try bringing something smelly and good with you on the walls that would be more interesting?
I feel like hitting her is a little extreme if she is not listening to you?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
bob_barker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

She's still just a puppy. That's what they do. Even as a young pup, when viewing all the videos of the litter, my pup was sniffing everything out. My puppy uses his nose for everything still. One thing I have tried to work on with him are appropriate times to sniff...basically when to and not to sniff. I do this using a food reward for positive behavior. I always have food on me when out with him to encourage him. Now we have a routine when out walking. If its through the neighborhood he remains more focused on me. I potty him prior to going on our walks, so we have a command of "sidewalk". All my dogs, know this to mean...no sniffing, we're walking. That way we are not stopping at every mailbox. I live in a residential neighborhood, I don't allow to the use the bathroom on other people's property. If we're out in the woods, park, or beach then I let him explore so he's given "free". It's takes a while, but with consistent practice he's coming along. I do allow him the opportunity to explore his surroundings by making sure our walks include areas where his is allowed to check things out. It keeps him happy and interested thus, building that confidence. Good luck with your pup.
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)

Last edited by d4lilbitz; 08-28-2014 at 05:40 PM.
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Let me tell you why its annoying, first of all this stupid habit started this week only, she was very good when on leash and off leash , always beside me and never goes away
But since Sunday she has been sniffing everything and dragging me and never comes beside me and always busy sniffing the street and everything else, she was just perfect with the leash and then that happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_barker View Post
I feel like hitting her is a little extreme if she is not listening to you?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I didn't hit her , yet...
She is just making me angry with that and I feel so angry that I want to hit her

Old 08-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I didn't hit her , yet...
She is just making me angry with that and I feel so angry that I want to hit her
I can certainly understand the anger. Next time, don't hold back. Next time reach out and smack YOURSELF in the head for failing to train her.

There is tons and tons of training threads regarding training your pup to walk on a leash. Try reading through those next time you feel anger building inside you.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm working on leash training a lot myself right now and I find that if I walk Eugene in the street where there isn't any grass to smell he's great. Then I release him and let him sniff the grass and do whatever he wants. Repeat, repeat. Now I'm at the point where I can get him to walk nicely on a smaller path and then I release him to sniff and do whatever he wants. He seems to be understanding that in order to get what he wants he has to do what I want first. Compromise

I'm certainly no expert but that's what's working well for us.
E.Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I can certainly understand the anger. Next time, don't hold back. Next time reach out and smack YOURSELF in the head for failing to train her.

There is tons and tons of training threads regarding training your pup to walk on a leash. Try reading through those next time you feel anger building inside you.
I did train her well but stopped for a week (she had her dew claw removed) and since she had the surgery she became like that.
Could that be the reason? I swear she was a perfect idol for dogs on/off leash

Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I did train her well but stopped for a week (she had her dew claw removed) and since she had the surgery she became like that.
Could that be the reason? I swear she was a perfect idol for dogs on/off leash
She's getting older. She's getting more confidence. She is much more interested in her world now.

You want her to be confident and bold. So you need to buckle down and build that confidence while teaching her not to pull on the leash and stop and sniff everything.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Holy smokes, you're really angry over something that's not a big deal at all, I'd hate to see what happens if your dog actually does something worth getting upset over.

Check your emotions at the door when you're walking/training your dog, get some self control.

Dogs explore with their noses, deal with it, or rehome the puppy. Maybe get into a good training class or something. I don't even know what to tell you, if your puppy sniffing around enrages you to the point that you want to hit her, maybe a dog isn't a good choice for a pet for you.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.