German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   the stupid "I love discovering" (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/483777-stupid-i-love-discovering.html)

Maxil 08-28-2014 05:15 PM

the stupid "I love discovering"

I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!
Everytime I take her for a walk she keeps sniffing in EVERYTHING,
I really hate this and its annoying me I almost hit her I am just trying to keep my anger inside me, but I don't think I will keep calming my self down like this for long, she also almost felt down into a 10 feet hole.
How do I stop this stupid behavior! I tried using leash pressure but she doesn't stop

onyx'girl 08-28-2014 05:18 PM

Dogs use their nose like we use our eyes. I don't understand why it is so annoying to you?
It isn't stupid behavior but natural instinct.

bob_barker 08-28-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxil (Post 5957265)
I really hate this and its annoying me I almost hit her I am just trying to keep my anger inside me,

Maybe you should try bringing something smelly and good with you on the walls that would be more interesting?
I feel like hitting her is a little extreme if she is not listening to you?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

d4lilbitz 08-28-2014 05:38 PM

She's still just a puppy. That's what they do. Even as a young pup, when viewing all the videos of the litter, my pup was sniffing everything out. My puppy uses his nose for everything still. One thing I have tried to work on with him are appropriate times to sniff...basically when to and not to sniff. I do this using a food reward for positive behavior. I always have food on me when out with him to encourage him. Now we have a routine when out walking. If its through the neighborhood he remains more focused on me. I potty him prior to going on our walks, so we have a command of "sidewalk". All my dogs, know this to mean...no sniffing, we're walking. That way we are not stopping at every mailbox. I live in a residential neighborhood, I don't allow to the use the bathroom on other people's property. If we're out in the woods, park, or beach then I let him explore so he's given "free". It's takes a while, but with consistent practice he's coming along. I do allow him the opportunity to explore his surroundings by making sure our walks include areas where his is allowed to check things out. It keeps him happy and interested thus, building that confidence. Good luck with your pup.

Maxil 08-28-2014 06:13 PM

Let me tell you why its annoying, first of all this stupid habit started this week only, she was very good when on leash and off leash , always beside me and never goes away
But since Sunday she has been sniffing everything and dragging me and never comes beside me and always busy sniffing the street and everything else, she was just perfect with the leash and then that happened
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_barker (Post 5957289)
I feel like hitting her is a little extreme if she is not listening to you?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I didn't hit her , yet...
She is just making me angry with that and I feel so angry that I want to hit her

Lilie 08-28-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxil (Post 5957409)
I didn't hit her , yet...
She is just making me angry with that and I feel so angry that I want to hit her

I can certainly understand the anger. Next time, don't hold back. Next time reach out and smack YOURSELF in the head for failing to train her.

There is tons and tons of training threads regarding training your pup to walk on a leash. Try reading through those next time you feel anger building inside you.

E.Hatch 08-28-2014 06:21 PM

I'm working on leash training a lot myself right now and I find that if I walk Eugene in the street where there isn't any grass to smell he's great. Then I release him and let him sniff the grass and do whatever he wants. Repeat, repeat. Now I'm at the point where I can get him to walk nicely on a smaller path and then I release him to sniff and do whatever he wants. He seems to be understanding that in order to get what he wants he has to do what I want first. Compromise :)

I'm certainly no expert but that's what's working well for us.

Maxil 08-28-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5957417)
I can certainly understand the anger. Next time, don't hold back. Next time reach out and smack YOURSELF in the head for failing to train her.

There is tons and tons of training threads regarding training your pup to walk on a leash. Try reading through those next time you feel anger building inside you.

I did train her well but stopped for a week (she had her dew claw removed) and since she had the surgery she became like that.
Could that be the reason? I swear she was a perfect idol for dogs on/off leash

Lilie 08-28-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxil (Post 5957457)
I did train her well but stopped for a week (she had her dew claw removed) and since she had the surgery she became like that.
Could that be the reason? I swear she was a perfect idol for dogs on/off leash

She's getting older. She's getting more confidence. She is much more interested in her world now.

You want her to be confident and bold. So you need to buckle down and build that confidence while teaching her not to pull on the leash and stop and sniff everything.

blackshep 08-29-2014 08:32 AM

Holy smokes, you're really angry over something that's not a big deal at all, I'd hate to see what happens if your dog actually does something worth getting upset over.

Check your emotions at the door when you're walking/training your dog, get some self control.

Dogs explore with their noses, deal with it, or rehome the puppy. Maybe get into a good training class or something. I don't even know what to tell you, if your puppy sniffing around enrages you to the point that you want to hit her, maybe a dog isn't a good choice for a pet for you. :(