German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   5 month old GSD nipping my 5 year old son. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/482777-5-month-old-gsd-nipping-my-5-year-old-son.html)

holmes11210 08-25-2014 09:36 AM

5 month old GSD nipping my 5 year old son.

Earlier today my puppy nipped at my sons arm. My son was walking past and my wife says the pup jumped up and nipped. I've read so many different things that contradict. One article says to not let your kids give stern commands because the dog sees them as siblings and might try to correct them. Leerburg says to not have the kids show fear and sternly correct them.

Has anyone dealt with this? Will this turn to biting.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GSDlover143 08-25-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holmes11210 (Post 5943249)
Earlier today my puppy nipped at my sons arm. My son was walking past and my wife says the pup jumped up and nipped. I've read so many different things that contradict. One article says to not let your kids give stern commands because the dog sees them as siblings and might try to correct them. Leerburg says to not have the kids show fear and sternly correct them.

Has anyone dealt with this? Will this turn to biting.

Did he straight up go for your sons arm in anger? Or was he playfully biting??

Did he straight up go for your sons arm in anger? Or was he playfully biting??

Axel13 08-25-2014 07:54 PM

Could it just have been a playful nip? Some pup's don't grow out of that as quick as others. I have a 6 month old Sheltie pup that still nips when playing or when he is trying to get me to play. I'm not sure how your child should correct him but I always say 'ow' when my pup nips and it seems to be working well (sometimes he just forgets).

holmes11210 08-26-2014 12:40 AM

That's the thing, it happened when my wife was in the room. She said it was a low growl. I've been watching him interact all day and he's been sweet to my son all day. I'm staying close and keeping my son from the dogs face and at a higher level.

llombardo 08-26-2014 02:33 AM

Puppies nip, they growl, they play and they mouth. Some even do the air snapping. Until the puppy is taught that it's not ok they do it. If a kid plays with a dog on occasion and is able to do this, then it's ok in their mind. There really isn't no in between, they either are allowed or aren't allowed. Generally if allowed the child will laugh, scream, or even run and the dog thinks it's the greatest game in the world. It's the parents job to protect and teach both the child and puppy. Puppies end up in the shelter all the time because they nipped at the kids. I know my male GSD ended up in a kill shelter because of this very reason. He was really close to dying because the parents didn't take control. At 8 months old he already spent half his life in the shelter and got kennel cough twice. He almost didn't even make it to the adoption floor because he was sick. He was still mouthing when I got him home but it was me and my son who is an adult, he never touched any of the younger kids in the house. After a week of being taught it wasn't acceptable he stopped the mouthing. He is amazing with kids and adores all of them. I can only wish that the people who gave him up and almost costed him his life could see him today. They would kick themselves for not spending a little more time teaching him what was right and wrong.

car2ner 08-26-2014 06:15 AM

my 8 month old still nips to get our attention on occasion. He uses just his very front teeth and we are still working on teaching him that it is unacceptable. I think he snip-nips because we have already taught him that we don't want him taking our whole arm in his mouth. One step at a time. He has learned that when he has the urge to take our arm in his mouth, to pick up a toy instead. YEAH!

Yup, glad that you are keeping an eye on both your pup and your son. Youngsters can easily over stimulate your pooch. I agree that your son should not show fear. If your pup does not take no for an answer your child should calmly get help from the adults in the room . Sometimes a pup is just too excited to settle down quickly.