Why does my puppy clean out her kennel? :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why does my puppy clean out her kennel? :)

I'm just full of questions today...
My pup has developed this new habit... I'm not worried about it, just very curious about why she's doing it... So, we kennel our [almost-5-month-old] pup while we're at work every day (and we have a friend come over to let her out mid-day and have play time with her in the backyard)...
Anyway, the last few days, when I get home from work and let her out of her kennel... before she'll even go outside to potty, she runs back into her kennel, grabs a toy, drops it in the living room, goes back in the kennel for another toy, drops it in the living room, etc... until her kennel is completely empty. THEN she'll go outside to potty (and shower me with affection and biting, lol)... she even gets her little blanket out of there (after the toys)...
Any thoughts on this?
magster33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's kind of cute. Sounds like she is relocating herself and things to the living room where you will all be for the evening. I wonder if it works the other way, and you can teach her to "Get Ready For Bed." Where she takes her stuff back to her crate for the night.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
It's kind of cute. Sounds like she is relocating herself and things to the living room where you will all be for the evening. I wonder if it works the other way, and you can teach her to "Get Ready For Bed." Where she takes her stuff back to her crate for the night.
Lol, Selzer! Yes, I find it adorable, just can't figure it out! Your theory makes sense, but... Funny thing is, the living room where her kennel is, is not where we hang out for the night (we have the tv downstairs in a different room, where it's cooler at night), and her favorite toys are down there too (the squeaky ones, which we don't leave in her kennel, because I read that they can be dangerous if pup is left unattended with them). So her safe "kennel toys" that she takes out, she rarely acknowledges them when we're home with her... just finds it necessary to remove them from the kennel... interesting!

Last edited by magster33; 08-22-2014 at 10:27 PM.
magster33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

German "grundlichkeit"
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Mine likes to take things out of the toy chest, including the toys she doesn't play with at all. She prefers her toys spread everywhere. I prefer the opposite. She takes them out and I put them back in, repeat couple times a day.

Guessing the dogs have their preferences on how they want to "manage" their toys.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Mine likes to take things out of the toy chest, including the toys she doesn't play with at all. She prefers her toys spread everywhere. I prefer the opposite. She takes them out and I put them back in, repeat couple times a day.

Guessing the dogs have their preferences on how they want to "manage" their toys.
This is are really kool game -- from your pooches perspective. She has you well-trained.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post

Rudy was playing this game with me, too. Now, I've added "find your toy" to the game. I hide them really well, and he's not so quick to take them all out. Sometimes it takes all day to find those darn toys!
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Haha... my persistence is wearing the dog down though. She's not doing it as much after a year of this "game."
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't even put the toys back in the toy box anymore. I used to put them away, go get the vacuum and by the time I plugged the vacuum in every toy was out again. It's the same thing outside, if I have to cut the grass I can't have the dogs out there whe I put the toys away. I put them away they look at me like uh no we want that one out here. As soon as I cut the grass and let them back out, toys are once again scattered everywhere.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When Lisl was a little pup she would drag all of her toys out of her crate too when I returned home from work.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.