German Shepherds Forum banner

Any other tips to offer on excited peeing?

984 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ksotto333 
#1 ·
OK so been doing some searches on the board, and I think I pretty much got my bases covered. I just wanted to kinda go over what it seems most of you recommend for my situation. In a nutshell, Lena just in the last couple of weeks has started this behavior of excited/submissive peeing. Some of it is my fault, I will take that responsibility. I have a really bad habit of coming home from work and sort of fueling this behavior. I'm kinda excited to see her too, so I am sure I am making the situation a little worse. But this seems to be what I can gather and any other tips are greatly appreciated:
1) Do not re-enforce the behavior. If I see her getting into her overly excited mode, ignore her until she calms. Then re-enforce the calm behavior.

2) Make sure all outsiders/strangers always do the same thing. No standing over, ignoring excited behavior, and petting chest and/or below

3) Add emphasis to activities that allow the dog to become more independent/confident. Examples being free walking, tug of war, etc

Anything else that you feel would assist me? I don't think she's an all around "soft" dog, as she is highly motivated and when we engage in play activities, she is extremely confident and more alpha in those situations...I welcome all opinions!

See less See more
#2 ·
I read this tip on another thread months ago it was recommended to let the dog out right away when you come home and sit down on the porch or a chair outside and let her greet you and get any excitement peeing out of the way. Then when she is calm go inside togther.

#6 ·
Tessa was did this randomly until she was about a year, and more for certain people. Letting her out immediately and ignoring her worked for us. I also would take her favorite ball and throw it, she totally forgets about everything if there is a ball to fetch.(She is 3 now)

#5 ·
My first GSD was an excited pisser.....not sure if it was a submissive thing or just an over-excitement thing linked to her bladder....I mean seriously...peeing in the house months after she knew the difference.

Yes, I immediately ushered her outside..calm and cool..even though the dog would be going through her gyrations.....did the same when friends would come over..

All in all, it helped but the behavior was short lived and we never looked back....but it was bothersome for a few months.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.