German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy growling when eating

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  meli_ssa4 
#1 ·
I have 2 GSDs, a 2yr old female and a 5mth old male. I have been feeding the older one first and trying to get the younger one to wait until she is finished and then he gets his. This in itself is hard to do because he is very food motivated and as soon as he sees food he goes wild, jumping barking, etc. We have been working on the sit, wait, OK eat.

Anyways after my girl eats and I give him his, if she even looks at him he will do a low growl while still munching away (at a mile a minute). I have just been removing my girl from the room until he finishes. I do periodically hand feed him. I can put my hand in his dish and he doesn't do anything.

Is this normal behaviour? Do I correct it and if so how. He doesn't growl at her when they get treats, just when he is at his dish. They drink out of each others water dishes and clean each others faces as soon as dinner time is over. Not sure how big of a deal I should be making out of this.

#2 ·
Why are you doing this? Why are you making your male wait? Do you realize what behaviors you are building on?

#3 ·
No I have no idea at all. This is my first time every having 2 dogs and everything I read contradicts itself. I thought I was suppose to feed the older dog first and then the younger one so he knows she is the older dog.

Is this wrong, what am I creating?

#8 ·
No I have no idea at all. This is my first time every having 2 dogs and everything I read contradicts itself. I thought I was suppose to feed the older dog first and then the younger one so he knows she is the older dog.

Is this wrong, what am I creating?
Ok, ok, ok. I am truly sorry. I should have asked in a way that didn't sound so ......rude.

You are already on the right path - you've come to ask questions and learn. You'll get all sorts of advice, from all sorts of folks. Take your time, read through the posts and you'll figure out what things would work for you and what things wouldn't.

#5 ·
He knows she is the older dog - feeding her first won't do anything really.

If you want to feed her first, then feed her first - alone. Then when it is his turn, feed him alone.

He is insecure with his food around the other dog, but not you, that is ok as long as you manage that and help him build confidence by not having him feel like he might lose his meal everytime he eats. Also, get your hands out of the dish. Hand feeding, or using dinner as a reward is fine, but if someone had their hands all over your food when you ate, you might eventually reach out and slap (bite) them.

If you are feeding them together, put them in crates or on opposite ends of the room. Once they are done eating, they lay down beside their bowl until the other is finished and the bowls have been picked up.

#6 ·
My 2 males eat at the same time for every meal.

I tell them both to sit and they have to wait until I release them with an "ok." Sometimes I have 3-4 dogs in my house and I have them all do this.

You should feed both of your dogs at the same time.

#7 ·
when I have multiple dogs (and now have 2) they all eat at the same time as well. I would feed your male in his crate so he doesn't feel 'threatened' that the female is going to take his food..

#9 ·
I had a vet tell me this and in OPs defense, I have seen this online before. It is based on dominance theory I believe. The vet said, make sure the old dog eats first, gets your attention first, goes through the door first so the puppy will know his place in the pack. I have heard too that this can be a disaster. In my case, my puppy was always going to be the more dominant dog. I think it is much better to think of yourself as leader, you set the rules and the puppy pays attention to you. I have always fed my dogs together, when I had multiple dogs. They have to wait for a release and they do not get to clean the other guys bowl or approach the other dog while eating. My rules.

I would feed them at the same time but a distance from each other. I would put a long line on the puppy and if he tries to approach the other while eating it is a firm no and a redirect to a toy or treat.

#10 ·
I do hold stock in the theory. But it means to give the older dog it's food first. Not wait to feed the other dog.

I have five dogs, I feed twice a day...feeding would be a full time job for me!!

#16 ·
Like how a guest a the table would be served first, in deference to them.
WHAT? :eek: I thought guests had to do the dishes! No wonder why nobody ever comes back twice to my house..........

#14 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely start just giving them the food at the same time. One reason I wasn't giving him his food right away was because he was jumping around and barking wanting his food. So I was trying to get him to calm down first and learn the wait command. But I do always put the older ones down first then the puppy's.

I am definitely learning that is for sure. I think I have read way to much trying to enusre I ger this right and maybe I am messing it up anyways.

My poor little guy is teething and has growing pains in his right front leg. He isn't doing to well right now. Just sleeping alot. He has taken over the couch.

#17 ·
I would use that drive for training instead of wasting it in his bowl. Feed his meals through marker training.

#15 ·
Feed them in separate rooms. There's no reason why the older dog should have to put up with the rude puppy behavior at meal time. Also, if you don't have the other dog present and you have his full attention, you can wait until he sits and looks at you before putting down his food. This would be much more easily accomplished without the presence and distraction of the other dog.

#20 ·
Marker, Clicker, operant conditioning.

No time to explain right now, but you can search for those things and get a good understanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.