Any of you have tips to stop crying? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any of you have tips to stop crying?

I have 5 month old GSD and he likes to jump into our pool, and, believe it or not, this gets him soaking wet!
When he gets wet I like to keep him outback so he doesn't get water everywhere, but when I leave him outback for then 5/10 minutes he starts to cry and whine , which I find very annoying and I'm sure my neighbors think so too.

Is this normal and will he grow out of it? Or should I start doing something about it?
danielisamazing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm jealous, I'd love to have your pool problem! Why not just towel your puppy off??? I'm very particular about drying my dog as best as I can, because if they stay damp and don't dry, their coats can get mildew. I am NOT making this up, lol - it happened with my dog his first summer, with all the swimming and humidity.
I know I didn't answer your crying question... I'm saving you from the awful stench of mildew instead!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Any of you have tips to stop crying

I have a tip. Dry the dog off with a towel and bring him in. He wants to be with his people.
Keeno Beano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I'm jealous, I'd love to have your pool problem! Why not just towel your puppy off??? I'm very particular about drying my dog as best as I can, because if they stay damp and don't dry, their coats can get mildew. I am NOT making this up, lol - it happened with my dog his first summer, with all the swimming and humidity.
I know I didn't answer your crying question... I'm saving you from the awful stench of mildew instead!
I thought it was cute the first few times it happened , but now he can jump on furniture and is a lot bigger than before = more water everywhere :/
as far as why I don't towel him off: I have but it's just another thing I'd have to do, and I'd rather him just stay out back for a half hour or so and dry off in the sun.

I want him to learn that if he goes in the pool, he has to stay outback for a little while. But the constant crying/howling/whinging makes it difficult
Old 08-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielisamazing View Post

I want him to learn that if he goes in the pool, he has to stay outback for a little while. But the constant crying/howling/whinging makes it difficult

He is a dog. He is NEVER going to make that connection. Either keep him out of the pool, or dry him off and bring him inside. He is a baby, they are very bonded to their people at this age. You are his protectors.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine don't like to be outside alone either, and they like to wallow in the kiddie pools no matter the season. I leave them on our covered porch and leave the house screen door open, so they can see me while they dry. At first they were confused, but they eventually got it.

Do you have a door you can leave open and a way to keep him near it, maybe a tether if you don't have a porch to close off? You could spend some time training rather as if you were crate training-- leave him for a short time, maybe with a treat, return quickly when he's quiet. Repeat, adding time as needed.
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

nope, in this case you're not going to get this situation to work out as you wish it would. you'll have lots more problems and have to spend lots more time than it takes to towel dry him, if you insist that this is how it should go. these dogs have double coats and yeast and mold form easily (no matter how much sun they get), and pool chemicals should never be allowed to dry on an animal where they can be absorbed by the skin or through licking. please reconsider the amount of energy you're willing to expend to keep your puppy safe and happy.
thanks.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

alright, well i guess I'll stick with towels then! thanks for the advice, guys

one last question though. Should I not leave him outback by himself ever? or will he *maybe* grow out the whole howling thing as he gets older?

for some reason I'm getting the vibe you guys wouldn't want me to leave him outback by himself ever
Old 08-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since he's exhibiting anxiety about being outside alone, you might try leaving him out for a minute- literally- and reward him for being quiet. He might only be quiet for 30 seconds at first, but you can gradually increase the time. Honestly at this age 3 minutes would probably be a long time for him. He'll work up to it as he's more confident and comfortable. You could try just sitting outside and reading a book or something that has nothing to do with him. Just ignore him and let him lie there without any interaction. He's probably used to lots of play while you're out with him so going in and leaving him alone is no fun. If he's like most gsds pups he can't let you out of his sight and he's glued to your side but as he matures he'll gain more independence. If you force the issue now he might see being alone outside as punishment
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I'd do it a little different Daniel. I've never been able to towel dry a dog good enough to want him inside right after swimming or a bath even, and there's no way I'm bringing him in for whining. So, like I've done before, I'd talk to my neighbors and explain to them they're going to hear some noise temporarily, I'll do my best to not let it be a nuisance, but I'm working on something, and I'd leave him out till he shuts up and dries.

Separate of that, I'd take every opportunity to teach him "Quiet"
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.