AWFUL Puppy Biting! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default AWFUL Puppy Biting!

I read the sticky on puppy biting, but I don't feel like my situation has been addressed there. My GSD pup is six months old (seven months on August 21). He has very high drive (Drago vom Patriot pup) and is WILD as anything. He likes to run, jump on the bed, and start biting anyone who gets near him. That's a MAJOR issue, and it has confined him to his crate at night. I'd love to have a snuggly dog, but not one who's going to bite my face. If my boyfriend is sitting on the couch and playing video games or whatever, Krieger jumps on the couch and does the same thing to him. He will jump off the couch when told a firm "NO" and go after my Yorkie instead... If we're running through the yard together, or if I have him heeling and he doesn't feel like it or I get too excited with praising him, he grabs onto my arm. How can I correct this without ruining IPO and personal protection prospects? Those were my main reasons for getting him out of his specific litter. I don't want to just throw those ideas aside because of biting.

He also doesn't bite anyone else. Could this be a "pack" thing or a teenage-related thing?
emmers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

well he sounds like a mouthy brat Does he like toys/tuggies? Tug with him, run him ragged...the more exercise he gets hopefully it will tire him out ..Take him for a hike, brain exercise is as good as physical exercise.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

It would be best if you just re-homed him to my house! . Haha....I have a thing for Drago. I really like him.
Is your puppy getting enough physical and mental exercise? My dog 11 months old and he will drive me nuts if I don't wear him out....His pedigree isn't near as strong as Dragos either. I'm sure people will buzz in to help you out...
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Diane, exercise and redirecting to appropriate toys. Keep a good tug nearby for sure and make sure he gets tons of both physical and mental work daily

A tired pup is a well behaved pup Nose work is awesome for wearing out those puppy brains, and frozen raw bones and stuffed kongs can keep them busy and give you a break when needed

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
well he sounds like a mouthy brat Does he like toys/tuggies? Tug with him, run him ragged...the more exercise he gets hopefully it will tire him out ..Take him for a hike, brain exercise is as good as physical exercise.
He is THE MOUTHIEST BRAT I've ever seen!! I exercise him with something every single day. I take him hiking, I take him swimming, I take him around tracks at walking parks... He gets in the car, takes a nap, and is back to being all rambunctious. He loves toys and tuggies. I'll have to get him more of those, I guess. It's ridiculous how much energy he has for biting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
It would be best if you just re-homed him to my house! . Haha....I have a thing for Drago. I really like him.
Is your puppy getting enough physical and mental exercise? My dog 11 months old and he will drive me nuts if I don't wear him out....His pedigree isn't near as strong as Dragos either. I'm sure people will buzz in to help you out...
Hmm...I think I'll have to find a different approach than the rehoming. Sorry. I agree, Drago's pretty amazing! I should have included in my opening post that he gets TONS of exercise. I'm fortunate enough to only work four and a half hours a day, so he usually gets the remainder of the day with me. I try to take him to many different places so he doesn't get burned out on any place in particular. If we go somewhere to walk/swim/hike and he seems disinterested, we go somewhere else so that he'll get worn out. Seriously, I cater to this dog. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I agree with Diane, exercise and redirecting to appropriate toys. Keep a good tug nearby for sure and make sure he gets tons of both physical and mental work daily

A tired pup is a well behaved pup Nose work is awesome for wearing out those puppy brains, and frozen raw bones and stuffed kongs can keep them busy and give you a break when needed
That's my only issue with redirection is not having a good toy nearby whenever I need it. I guess I need to get a lot more! haha. He also tears up EVERYTHING. It's unreal. I got toys that say that they're guaranteed to not tear up, but he proves that guarantee wrong in a matter of days, if not hours.

What kind of nose work would you suggest? I hadn't even thought about that. I'll have to try the frozen bones with maybe something smeared on the inside where the marrow would be whenever that's needed. He has a femur bone that he loves, but nothing keeps his attention for very long.

One of the other things that isn't very good is that I like to let him out in the morning before I go to my job and work with him for 10 - 15 minutes. After that, I let him lounge around. That's when he decides to get all mouthy, even after he runs around outside for a bit. He bites, chases the cats, pounces on the smaller dog, etc. It's a nightmare in the morning!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

he is bored and that is how puppys play
Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
he is bored and that is how puppys play
But why would be be bored after just exercising or while exercising? I also can't really take "that's how a six-month-old plays" as a reason simply because it won't fly with any of the dog sports that I want to have him in later on. I mean, will it just go away in a few months? He HURTS when he bites now. I don't want to imagine what it'll be like as he grows older!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmers View Post
What kind of nose work would you suggest? I hadn't even thought about that. I'll have to try the frozen bones with maybe something smeared on the inside where the marrow would be whenever that's needed. He has a femur bone that he loves, but nothing keeps his attention for very long.

One of the other things that isn't very good is that I like to let him out in the morning before I go to my job and work with him for 10 - 15 minutes. After that, I let him lounge around. That's when he decides to get all mouthy, even after he runs around outside for a bit. He bites, chases the cats, pounces on the smaller dog, etc. It's a nightmare in the morning!

I don't do IPO so I won't suggest anything that may interfere with future training for tracking.

Hide treats or a favourite toy and have him search for it, inside or outside it doesn't matter - make it more challenging if he finds things too quickly or easier if he gets bored too fast. Use puzzles and treat balls to have him hunt and work for the food, a muffin tin with tennis balls covering the holes, there's a cool homemade treat dispenser I saw on Youtube and Facebook using two litre pop bottles suspended from a frame are good homemade ideas. Anything that gets his brain going and has him thinking is good

Delgado was a very high drive pup and still at 2.5 is raring to go at a moment’s notice. It's not just about exercising and training sometimes - they need that genetic off switch to help as well. I found using the crate for quiet time, and also teaching the long down stay on his bed was very helpful in showing him what I wanted. Obedience works the mind, so while I'm cooking dinner he's usually nearby doing a long down stay, or if I'm watching TV or on the computer he knows he can bring me his ball and I will play catch and I can still do continue what I'm doing. It took a little bit for the pieces to fall into place but once he realized being quiet and staying where I put him got rewarded and made me happy he did it without complaints Sometimes it's about compromising

Regarding the bones I always use fresh knuckle or marrow bones and freeze them. When I take it away I check it carefully for wear and tear and chuck it if it's finished, they're very cheap at the local butcher. Keeps them very high value and fun, Delgado will lie for 2-3 hours if I let him just chewing all the meat and marrow out of one

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010

Last edited by Shade; 08-13-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

it will escalate unless you do something about it now. I'd correct. my dog didn't bite at 6 months but that's because I stopped it way before. he also nearly isn't as driven as yours. so maybe that's why it was so easy for me

I know people say you should redirect and all that. to me some things just aren't acceptable and I want him to know. biting me isn't acceptable.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just correct him. Theres a huge difference between a dog biting random people and biting an agitating decoy and a person playing video games on a couch.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.