True Character or just normal Puppy Behaviour? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation True Character or just normal Puppy Behaviour?

Phew, well it's been a week now and I have been observing Drogo's behaviour. I have noticed that he seems to be rather scared of the farm animals. He prefers to stay away from the chooks and horses and sometimes he can act pretty defensive. When I say defensive I mean that Drogo starts to growl or bark when the strange animals approach. Sometimes it appears that he might charge at them. Sometimes he turns tail and runs away. Just today when I was bringing wood in the house he would run away to another room. At some point he came out of that room and had a drink and while he was drinking I came in with more wood and he scrambled, knocked the water over and ran away.

My question is this - is this just normal puppy behaviour or is this his true character? I must say I can't remember my last dog acting this timid before. I am getting a little worried that I may have got a timid dog when I specifically stressed to the breeder that I did NOT want a timid dog. I am getting worried here!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

True character. The dog is nervy.

A good dog might be startled or be unsure of something but recover quickly.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Could be a fear period, could be the dog.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's just a baby - he doesn't know that sudden loud noises or funny smelling large animals aren't scary. Show him that they are ok to be around and let him take things at his own pace. Personally I'd say he's far too young to classify as timid or nervy just yet

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you have had the dog one week?

stop analysing and being the critical observer -- get on the team and support the dog

this is a pup . Caution is a survival skill. Age, size and ability make him physically vulnerable .
Caution is not over the top avoidance. Does the dog recover .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
He's just a baby - he doesn't know that sudden loud noises or funny smelling large animals aren't scary. Show him that they are ok to be around and let him take things at his own pace. Personally I'd say he's far too young to classify as timid or nervy just yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
you have had the dog one week?

stop analysing and being the critical observer -- get on the team and support the dog

this is a pup . Caution is a survival skill. Age, size and ability make him physically vulnerable .
Caution is not over the top avoidance. Does the dog recover .
You're right. I am probably reading too much into this and it's not fair on the puppy. For some reason I got the impression that working line pups were fearless and took on the world head on, very silly of me!

I'm not quite sure what recovery time is but he does come out again fairly quickly. Once I put the wood in the box and then I go back to the door to get more wood he would come and wait at the door for me.

EDIT: Oh, and what's this fear period? I am pretty sure I have heard that somewhere.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.