Puppy biting need advice!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy biting need advice!!

Hello,

I have a 11 week old GSD which I have had since 8 weeks. She is very,very smart(Down,sit,come,spin and shake) She even rings the bell to go outside. I and my family love her to death and she is very well mannered except for when she gets excited. I have literally tried everything from yelping to putting a toy in her mouth. She today bit my hand and made me bleed and nipped my son on the nose. I know aggression and this is play biting. Any suggestions????
GaFan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaFan1984 View Post
Hello,

I have a 11 week old GSD which I have had since 8 weeks. She is very,very smart(Down,sit,come,spin and shake) She even rings the bell to go outside. I and my family love her to death and she is very well mannered except for when she gets excited. I have literally tried everything from yelping to putting a toy in her mouth. She today bit my hand and made me bleed and nipped my son on the nose. I know aggression and this is play biting. Any suggestions????
It's perfectly normal for gsd to bite. Which gives them the name land shark. There are soooo many things to try to do. I've tried them all. My last resort was smacking him on his muzzle with my finger and tell him no. He is 6 months old and no longer bites. My arms look like a cat attacked them. You can try all that stuff first, if he still is doing it you can try that option. And no I'm not talking about betting or be aggressive. But this is the only thing that worked. And fast. Some people do the yelping, distracting with Toys, time outs. But they never worked. He seam to spend a lot of time in time out because they can't help them self. After a month all I had to do was point at him and say no and he stoped. Some will say it will make your dog head shy, imo as long as you show love just as much. My boy loves his muzzle to be petted, rubbed or kisses.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also am all for trying all the tips you see posted around. Your dog is also a little on the young side, but still needs to know what's acceptable.

I don't think one has to complicate things all that much. If you don't allow that behavior, it won't happen, simple as that. Then you hear about the '3 second rule'. That is if any 'correction' isn't given within 3 seconds, the dog's mind is on to something else.

I don't like small 'nickle & dime' corrections when you want to get the point across. One must also factor in age of the dog and level of infraction. I would acclimate the dog to know what a stern NO means.

I don't have a problem with puppy play mouthing, beyond that it's forbidden.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

It is normal for this much biting with young GSDs pups, it is all a learning curve and if you saw her with her litter mates, if she bit too hard or too much to a litter sister or brother, the other puppy would of either told her off or walked away and this is how she learns that if she bites too hard/much then it is no longer fun.

You don't have to put up with this, but keep in mind she is learning bite inhibition and will need consistent and firm guidance from you and your family. You are doing the right thing - yelping and walking away so with time she will understand not to do this and she is testing you all. When I have puppies I do what you do but I also put Vicks Vaporub on my ankles, hands, legs etc and anything else I don't want them to chew on like their leads, my coffee table legs etc. The smell of Vicks Vaporub is so strong and they really don't like it, if it is on your ankle and she goes to have a bite, the smell will stop her from making contact and she will eventually associate biting with Vicks and not do it. Just do not put Vicks on your puppy or make her lick or eat it.

With you son, during this critical learning period it might be a good idea for him to not put his face too close to her until she has learned manners and bite inhibition. As she grows older, the bond between your son and her will only increase and you will find he can put his face in front of her for a kiss without fear of biting (assuming they bond).

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm

Last edited by Harry and Lola; 08-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree with both of ya. It's easier to teach your kids then the pup at this age. I told my kids that around the pup not to get your face in theirs, lay on the floor or run around him. It doesn't stop the dog still wanting to bite, but it makes it a lot easier. My boy would bite my kids ands legs, what ever he could get his mouth on. At that age you will need to keep the pup in your sight 100% when around young children. But it's true you need to put you foot down right when it happens. Most bad behavior won't be out grown. You have to train them not to do them. Also show them what is good. I had to do the stronger disciple because nothing else worked and I did like him biting my kids or me . He would draw blood all the time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Puppy biting

Please watch the following video by Kathy Santo in youtube and repeat the exercise shown in the several times a day. I had very satisfactory result.

Best
Santanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaFan1984 View Post
Hello,

TEZPUR1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

good video but redirecting did nothing when my pup was little. He wanted my arm / leg and no toy was going to satisfy. Ending the game and walking away works best with my pooch. And he learned to out very young. We always praised him for letting go but if we pet him he thought it was an invitation to start grabbing with his mouth again. I still remember the first day I could pet him without him trying to mouth me..."Hey Look! I'm petting my puppy!"

At 8 months, when he wants to greet us after an absence, he will get a toy to hold in his mouth. If he doesn't have a toy he will try to grab our arm and in this case, with him being a bit older, redirecting him to his toys worked well. He'll even look for a leaf in the yard to hold in his mouth to satisfy the urge to grab something.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with the above, redirecting etc was useless!! A Stern NO!! immediately swatting her on the nose did the most good...hasnt totally stopped it, but cut it way down to at least manageable levels... but you have to do it right at that instant so she knows what your NO means... then when she licks your hand praise her heavily..
wyowolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.