10 week old puppy suddenly afraid - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 10 week old puppy suddenly afraid

My 10 week old puppy is suddenly afraid to come to me. She's always been afraid of strangers and used to come to me for comfort. She's now running and hiding from me. She's very well behaved so I don't have the need to punish her. I have an adult female rot also and she does find comfort in her. She wants to lay behind her and bury her face into the couch. I'm not sure how to stop this behavior. This is the first I've encountered to a puppy who's done this... This is also the first time I've had a german shepard. I live in a very small town and there are no puppy training classes around. I need help getting her through this and getting my puppy back.
fate&des is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
dOg
Elite Member

Between 8-11 wks, a 3-5 day fear period can occur...during which you should protect her from traumatic events, as they can form phobias to similar circumstances that can last forever. After the period, you will recognize your pup as the same goof before the "fear period" and can resume normal activity. Even without formal puppy classes, just get out, hang out in busy places, let her meet folks interested in doing so...socialize, socialize, socialize!
Remember that until you can get reliable compliance to any command in at least 4 different surroundings, any command is not generalized enough to be reliable. A dog may SIT,COME,DOWN,HEEL fine in your yard, but until you can do them on a busy street corner, in a park, a schoolyard, etc., with distractions present, a SIT at home is completely different than a SIT in the house. You can accompany the commands with hand signals so eventually, only hand signals will be required, and this makes for handy "remote" signals without shouting. (Hand signals are not allowed in SchH, BTW, so if you make a habit of it, it'll cost points during trial, as that's "handler help", not allowed, only voice commands). The key to any training is being consistent.

So no worries, this will pass!

Also, be confident. Expect compliance. Think she will be a good girl. It helps not to worry or dread misbehaviors, as they can read us like a book, and give what you expect.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

you just need to encourage her
try to train her , try with a simple thing as sitting and give her a simple treat when she is hungry(Make sure its away from the rot female so that she gets more interested in you, she left her family and just came to you and she will find more confidence with other dogs so having some private time with you both only might help.
but be aware German shepherd puppies get sick alot when they are younger than 3 months so better check if her temperature is high or not

hope that helps and you give us some updates

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.