Puppy and my flowers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy and my flowers

Hi, I have a 10 week old puppy who is extremely intelligent, she is like the perfect puppy, she is learning to walk on a lead and walks by our feet so dosnt pull, she has learnt sit, lay and paw, she understands no and will come when I call her, the one thing that I can't seem to get her to do is stop trashing my garden, we recently paid nearly 1000 to have our bare garden sorted, lawn etc and some nice new flowers laid, diesel is digging up my flowers, running around the garden leaving bark all over the grass and just digging up holes in the mud, is there a way I can stop this? I've told her no and taken her away but the second she goes bk out there she is straight bk into digging, I really don't want my new garden trashed, I understand she is a puppy and is having fun I just want to know if there is a reason she won't listen to me when it involves digging and how I can rectify that? She is never told off as such, I tell her no and I always reward good behaviour so there is more positive than negative but just clueless how to stop her, thanks for reading me rambling
Ladydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your garden and all it's new and wonderful activities are much more interesting than you are.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For some it is a stage that they go through, and some never grow out of it.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

She isn't ignored and left to her own devices, she also has a lot of toys, guess I'm just gonna have to hope she grows out of it, going to have to try get some sort of picket fence as I really don't want my garden destroyed
Old 07-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Leash or long lead.

She should not be allowed this much freedom at that age.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

She has both but she dosnt walk from our sides. Why shouldn't she be allowed in the garden?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There isn't anything wrong with you or her toys. She just finds the garden area and all it's secrets more exciting.

There are many ways for you to train her not to go into the garden area. You can string a low hot wire around the area you want her to stay out of.

You can use an invisable fence that shocks her when she crosses a specific boundry.

You can use an e-collar.

You can scream and holler and smack her when she violates the wrong area of the yard.

You can (my personal favorite) teach her to 'leave it'. When the command is solid, every time she even begins to focus on the garden area, tell her to leave it. When she goes in the the area - re-direct her. You utilize what ever it takes to make you more interesting than the garden.

The only difference with training her to stay out of your garden and training her to not soil in the house or not counter surf or not get into the trash bin, is you aren't watching her outside 24/7 when she goes out. In order to *train* her not to go into the garden, you'll have to be with her.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't like any of those options apart from your fav one which is the leave it, I like to focus more on distraction and positive reinforcement as this is what works best for children so figured probably the same with a puppy, she isn't allowed in the garden if I'm not out there which means keeping my back door shut, not nice in this weather but I'd rather have a warmer house than her ransack my garden, we have a beautiful lawn she loves rolling in but she is a monkey cause the second I open the door to let her out she is straight in the flowers, I have flowers in 3 corners of my garden and it's one corner she focuses on so not sure if there is a certain one she likes, my dad joked there might be a body underneath......... Yea that one didn't go down well lol, other than the mud digging she really is like the perfect dog, she has the odd wee accident in the house if I don't get to the back door in time but that's my fault not hers, I need to run faster as don't get much notice. Will have to work on the leave it but I'm not sure how to go about even starting that one. Put something on the floor and say leave it then if she goes for it pick it up? Sorry for all the stupid questions I just don't want to do things wrong. I've found puppy classes but she isn't allowed to start till she is 15 weeks and not sure my plants can take 5 more weeks of digging
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No question is a silly question! Although answers may be silly......LOL!

In the world according to me..."Leave It" replaces NO! in many situations. If my puppy picks up my shoe, I don't say NO! I say, "Eh, leave it!" and I bring my pup something it can have. And I just don't drop the new toy in front of it, I engage my pup in a game with the toy. So it learns my shoe is boring and the toy is exciting. I want my pup to pick up the toy next time. When it does, I'll reward it with an exciting game.

I suppose I could take my shoe and smack it on it's head with my shoe. But really, what am I teaching my pup? That my shoe is off limits and I'm a wicked person? Next time it needs to grab my shoe and hide behind the sofa.

If my pup is out in the garden and it races over for a lovely flower growing in the sun, the moment I realize it is focusing on the flower I'm going to say, "Fido! Leave it!" and I'll have some squeaky fun, furry, rolly toy that makes tons of noise that I know will get my pups attention. I'm going to get on my knees and make that toy go nuts. If Fido ignores me and goes to the flower, I'm going to get up and go right to Fido, re-direct off the flower and onto the toy. Fido is going to think that re-directing is part of the game and my try to go back to the flower. I just repeat "Leave It" and make the toy exciting as possible and try to draw Fido's attention off the flower.

You may ask, "Seriously? Who walks around their back yard with an exciting toy in their pocket?" My answer is; the person who wants to train their pup a specific behavior needs to have all the tools they need to help their pup to succeed.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am def going to do that, to be honest since having her I now walk around with pockets full of poo bags (unused obvs lol) and treats so an exciting toy won't make me seem any more odd lol. I wouldn't hit her same as I wouldn't hit my child, it dosnt help in any which way, I'm going to def start giving the 'leave it' trick a go, she is going to want to go out in a min so no time like the present, wish me and my flowers luck lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.