Releasing bite of 3 month old puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Releasing bite of 3 month old puppies

Yesterday i was visiting my friend that has a litter of 3 month old working line gsds and i saw that the pupps are fighting pretty bad, i still can't believe that i couldnt release a female pup who jumped on another female. she had such a strong jaw, i'm a big man that trains in martial arts and goes to the gym, but that small pup was so tough, i tried to open her mouth with both of my hands, grabbed her by the neck and nothing...
usually i was breaking up fights of big dogs by pulling both of them by the neck
untill they let go.
and in the rare cases i was squeezing the area between the legs and the ribs with both of my legs till the dog had no air and he had to let go.(ofcourse i won't do it on pupps, they're too fragile.)
any tips for releasing puppies out of their littermates?

Last edited by R-a-m-b-o; 07-11-2014 at 04:38 PM.
R-a-m-b-o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Separate the pups! No reason that littermates need to stay together at that age, they should be individually crated/kenneled, especially if there is some aggression surfacing.
I think I'd probably stick my finger or thumb in a mouth and gag a pup, but get bit doing it...at least it would release the grip....or redirect it onto me!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would never do that onyx... Finger in the mouth. Puppy or not. Always old or young back legs off the ground until they release. Older dogs takes two people both dogs back legs in the air going backwards. Im talking fight drive, I can call off verbally any very ruff house fights that's are out of control or getting close. Once fight kicks, watch your fingers and toes.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

most pups that are still together have huge food drive so I'd distract/redirect with food. But a little bitch that is not giving up would be a lift of the scruff til she submitted do to air extinction. It all depends on the situation...12 week old pups are still babies, I would try to diffuse first.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Separate the pups! No reason that littermates need to stay together at that age, they should be individually crated/kenneled
Absolutely keep them separate!
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Litter mates need to be separated after 8-10w. They will fight.

To release, grab the skin under the belly near the thighs. Don't pinch hard but a firm grip will get them to release
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

We use a technique called flanking on adult dogs. I assume it would work on all ages since it's a distraction technique.

One arm inflexible and straight on the collar while you reach down with your other hand and "flank" or pinch the dog in the soft area between the rear leg and stomach along the side of the dog. At the same time you give the dog the out command.

The flanking technique causes the dog to transfer his attention from whatever he/she is biting to the discomfort of the flanking. The dog should release his hold of whatever he is biting and direct his attention towards the discomfort of the flanking. Be aware that most dogs will turn their head towards the discomfort. Once you have flanked the dog quickly move that hand away from the dog while maintaining a firm grip on the collar.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

A police officer friend told me to grab the biting K-9 by the snout and squeeze.

It's worked every time I tried it !
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.