German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Releasing bite of 3 month old puppies (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/469649-releasing-bite-3-month-old-puppies.html)

R-a-m-b-o 07-11-2014 03:33 PM

Releasing bite of 3 month old puppies

Yesterday i was visiting my friend that has a litter of 3 month old working line gsds and i saw that the pupps are fighting pretty bad, i still can't believe that i couldnt release a female pup who jumped on another female. she had such a strong jaw, i'm a big man that trains in martial arts and goes to the gym, but that small pup was so tough, i tried to open her mouth with both of my hands, grabbed her by the neck and nothing...
usually i was breaking up fights of big dogs by pulling both of them by the neck
untill they let go.
and in the rare cases i was squeezing the area between the legs and the ribs with both of my legs till the dog had no air and he had to let go.(ofcourse i won't do it on pupps, they're too fragile.)
any tips for releasing puppies out of their littermates?

onyx'girl 07-11-2014 09:21 PM

Separate the pups! No reason that littermates need to stay together at that age, they should be individually crated/kenneled, especially if there is some aggression surfacing.
I think I'd probably stick my finger or thumb in a mouth and gag a pup, but get bit doing it...at least it would release the grip....or redirect it onto me!:help::wild:

Seer 07-11-2014 11:33 PM

I would never do that onyx... Finger in the mouth. Puppy or not. Always old or young back legs off the ground until they release. Older dogs takes two people both dogs back legs in the air going backwards. Im talking fight drive, I can call off verbally any very ruff house fights that's are out of control or getting close. Once fight kicks, watch your fingers and toes. :)

onyx'girl 07-11-2014 11:42 PM

most pups that are still together have huge food drive so I'd distract/redirect with food. But a little bitch that is not giving up would be a lift of the scruff til she submitted do to air extinction. It all depends on the situation...12 week old pups are still babies, I would try to diffuse first.

GSDAlphaMom 07-11-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5764922)
Separate the pups! No reason that littermates need to stay together at that age, they should be individually crated/kenneled

Absolutely keep them separate!

qbchottu 07-12-2014 12:00 AM

Litter mates need to be separated after 8-10w. They will fight.

To release, grab the skin under the belly near the thighs. Don't pinch hard but a firm grip will get them to release

flynbyu2 07-12-2014 01:49 AM

We use a technique called flanking on adult dogs. I assume it would work on all ages since it's a distraction technique.

One arm inflexible and straight on the collar while you reach down with your other hand and "flank" or pinch the dog in the soft area between the rear leg and stomach along the side of the dog. At the same time you give the dog the out command.

The flanking technique causes the dog to transfer his attention from whatever he/she is biting to the discomfort of the flanking. The dog should release his hold of whatever he is biting and direct his attention towards the discomfort of the flanking. Be aware that most dogs will turn their head towards the discomfort. Once you have flanked the dog quickly move that hand away from the dog while maintaining a firm grip on the collar.

The Packman 07-12-2014 02:46 AM

A police officer friend told me to grab the biting K-9 by the snout and squeeze.

It's worked every time I tried it !