German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Itchy 9 week old gsd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/469145-itchy-9-week-old-gsd.html)

dfisch235 07-10-2014 01:48 PM

Itchy 9 week old gsd

hey everyone,
We just brought home our first gsd (not first pup we have a husky as well)
Over the last few days, we have noticed that she is very itchy. We brought her to the vet and she said that she had subtle pyoderma and was treated with an antibiotic course of cephalexin and a topical spray of gentamycin.
The pyodrrma / small rash is now gone, but she still seems really itchy generally on her belly. I wanted to.get some other opinions outside of this vet who is a new vet for us due to a recent move.
So, are gsd generally itchy as puppies?

dfisch235 07-10-2014 01:49 PM

Also note she is eating fromm gold right now as well.

AnyaGSD 07-10-2014 02:39 PM

probably an allergy, most likely to food

WVGSD 07-10-2014 02:44 PM

I would not worry too much unelss you see a rash or sores. It is summer time and your puppy is small. Her belly touches the grass when she is outside and the blades of grass can be slightly irritating to the skin on her tummy. If there are no bumps or sores, she is probably just reacting to the grasses. Keep an eye on it and see if it gets better as she grows up.

wolfie13 07-10-2014 10:25 PM

You know mine is very itchy lately too. Not quite sure what is causing it. I hope its not allergies. Is there anything that would make it be allergies? Any specific symptoms?

I don't think he has fleas he should still be on frontline plus.

dfisch235 07-10-2014 11:33 PM

thanks for the feedback everyone!!

Adelaide's_Dad 07-11-2014 08:08 AM

I just brought home a 10 week old 7 days ago; same thing, lots of itching. Of course it's a hot Georgia summer with temps in the 90's and lots of gnats I suspect that doesn't help either. Vet gave her a dose of some sort of anti-flea pill, but said she didn't notice any, or anything unusual.

Athena'sMom 07-11-2014 08:15 AM

My girl had the same problem as a puppy! After her antibiotics were gone the itchies returned! I bathed her once a week in an anti-bacterial shampoo.
GNC Pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Fungal Shampoo | Shampoo & Conditioner | PetSmart
It really helped Athena when she was a puppy!

Momto2GSDs 07-11-2014 09:29 AM

Try a rinse of 50% Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (at health food stores. The "Mother" tincture floating around in the bottle carries the medicinal properties) and 50% Purified water (not city tap water). Rub this throughout her coat, belly and legs, leave it on and let drip dry.

You can also put this in a squirt bottle, put some on a paper towel and wipe her belly each time she come in from the out side. Also good to do the feet to keep from itching.

Another irritant could be if your lawn is chemically sprayed/fertilized.

Be aware that any shampoo with Oatmeal in it can also make a dog itch if they happen to be sensitive to Grains.

Moms:)

Adelaide's_Dad 07-11-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 5760778)

Be aware that any shampoo with Oatmeal in it can also make a dog itch if they happen to be sensitive to Grains.

Moms:)

Oh, I had not considered this; I did bathe her in such, but she was itchy before too... Regardless, will look into that one, thanks for bringing it up!