need help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default need help

My situation is this my puppy was listening to me when he was sick. Now that he is fully healthy he has stopped listening to me. He will run around at 12am normally when he usually goes to sleep at that time. He will bark in the middle of the night and I just am not sure what to do. He is also very bitey and I use a toy, food, treats to make him stop biting me or objects that I don't want him biting. He takes the food or treats or whatever I use to distract him. After 5 seconds he goes back to what I don't want him biting. It is beginning to frustrate me.
wolfie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is your puppy?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Your puppy is frustrated too. Get that dog outside and walk him or her for 10 minutes three to four times a day...

Keep it far away from other animals, period.

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

He is 3 months and I had a feeling he's frustrated but he doesn't have all his shots only the second shots. Not the final, third shots so I can't walk him. Believe me I'd prefer to walk him. But I can't do that without all his shots. Don't want him getting sick.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

You could walk your dog in a place where dogs rarely frequent (e.g empty parking lot on the weekend). If you avoid doggy daycare and the parks the risk of parvo etc is generally low (there are studies to support this).

C & K Pet Designs ~ www.ckpets.ca
Handmade Dog Collars & More
kay88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's a puppy.

You need to play with him. He needs to run and play. He needs for you to engage with him. He needs toys and chews, and he needs to use his mind. Mostly he needs for you to play with him, talk to him, give him outlets for his energy and for his teeth. Be patient. Puppy license in the K9 world does not wear off until 4-5 months until which adults pretty much put up with anything puppies do to them. Pretty much.

It sounds like your pup is perfectly normal, and getting into puppy mischief and having the zoomies a bit when he gets over-tired.

Before he goes into his zoomies take him out and do a few laps around whatever building you are living it. Teach him some tricks. Teach him to give you his paw, to shake, to play dead. Play hide and seek with him. Lay down on the floor and let him crawl all over you and mock wrestle with him. Play tug with him, or get a flirt pole.

Take him out to potty one last time, then give him his very special raw bone for nighty night time in his crate.

Good luck with the puppy.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
He's a puppy.

You need to play with him. He needs to run and play. He needs for you to engage with him. He needs toys and chews, and he needs to use his mind. Mostly he needs for you to play with him, talk to him, give him outlets for his energy and for his teeth. Be patient. Puppy license in the K9 world does not wear off until 4-5 months until which adults pretty much put up with anything puppies do to them. Pretty much.

It sounds like your pup is perfectly normal, and getting into puppy mischief and having the zoomies a bit when he gets over-tired.

Before he goes into his zoomies take him out and do a few laps around whatever building you are living it. Teach him some tricks. Teach him to give you his paw, to shake, to play dead. Play hide and seek with him. Lay down on the floor and let him crawl all over you and mock wrestle with him. Play tug with him, or get a flirt pole.

Take him out to potty one last time, then give him his very special raw bone for nighty night time in his crate.

Good luck with the puppy.
Thanks. Like I said earlier I can't take him out since he's at risk for parvo still. He's got 3 weeks before I can take him out. I do all that but its not enough for him. And I can't take him out in the yard there is my sisters dog there. As well as other dogs that walk around that area.

He actually bit me today. And he does this chomping motion at times around me. I do train him but when I try to train him he doesn't listen. All he really knows how to do is sit everything else I've trained him he won't do. Like come here, and stay. **** even sit he doesn't do unless I have food in my hand.

Last thing is he runs around at night and barks at 12am when I'm trying to get him to sleep and I got neighbors that will tattle on me.

It gets a bit cumbersome. Maybe I wasn't fit to have a puppy and would have been better suited for a more behaved and trained dog.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You've had the dog for four weeks and you are ready to throw in the towel. Maybe you should go ahead and call the breeder and give the dog back.

Babies are babies the world over. You cannot expect a dog to be obedience trained at 3 months old. They are going to make noise, they are alive. If your situation is such that you cannot have a puppy, then maybe you should go ahead and give the dog back to the breeder.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would advise on getting a long leash (like the 30 foot ones on amazon) and taking him to a park. this lets him run his heart at around you while you walk. But don't always use the long lead! my guy started to forget his manners on shorter leashes and I had to start using a prong collar. Now at the park it'll be roughly 30 minutes with his long leash, 30 minutes on his regular 6ft one, back to the long, and keep rotating it. that's what I do anyway.

Your guy is going to have a ton of energy and get waaay bigger. that puppy biting and insane energy is normal. consider what selzer said about evaluating your position. if you decide to keep him then see him as a permanent part of your life no matter how mad he makes you. my guy frustrates me too but the good times are well worth it.

My guy was going for walks before his parvo shots were done in areas where other dogs had been. My vet would have been furious I think. But nothing happened, my precautions were no touching other dogs (until his shots were done) and no smelling poop (to this day). your dog, your call. I will admit that parvo would be horrible
Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You've had the dog for four weeks and you are ready to throw in the towel. Maybe you should go ahead and call the breeder and give the dog back.

Babies are babies the world over. You cannot expect a dog to be obedience trained at 3 months old. They are going to make noise, they are alive. If your situation is such that you cannot have a puppy, then maybe you should go ahead and give the dog back to the breeder.
Well it wasn't from a breeder at all. For one. For another, yes I'm frustrated cause he tried biting me again. Would tiring him out really fix his leash, barking at night, running around at night?

And which toys would be better for him to expend that energy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.