Puppy Grunting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Grunting

I've had a few dogs in my life that have all started out as puppies in my family, but little Bailey is unique. Shes 10 weeks old and grunts/groans constantly. Shes not really a barker unless there is something that catches her interest which is mostly a squeaky pig or the roses blowing in the wind.

It's not really a behavioral issue, and theres no need for me to correct it.. but I've just never come across a vocal puppy in this manner before! It's constantly like shes talking to us, where we'll talk to her, and she'll grunt back. It's been useful so far for us as her pitch changes when she gets something she likes, or gets something taken away like an empty food dish that she wants refilled.

Is this a common thing in GSDs?
Lapres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

At 4 years old, Zeeva groans and grunts when stretching, curling up into a comfy spot, yawning, and itching her ear. I think it's characteristic of the breed.

Sounds like your pup is a bit more expressive. Very adorable! Must video tape!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

GSD's are talkers. When I originally saw a GSD in a movie I thought they were just adding all the groans/whines/conversations etc. Then I got one in real life. They comment on everything like an advice columnist.

jelpy
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have 1 that started out like that. He sounded like he was in pain when he played with toys... Now at 1 and a half, he is a talker would not change a thing!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sage is my talker. She woo-woos at me, groans, makes weird grumbling noises. I find it charming!

I took her over to my aunt's house the other day. Sage was sprawled on her side and my aunt was rubbing around on her. The noises coming out of that dog!! I've always said if you didn't know her, you would think she was growling at you. Nope. Just one vocal girl.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch.pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapres View Post
I've had a few dogs in my life that have all started out as puppies in my family, but little Bailey is unique. Shes 10 weeks old and grunts/groans constantly. Shes not really a barker unless there is something that catches her interest which is mostly a squeaky pig or the roses blowing in the wind.

It's not really a behavioral issue, and theres no need for me to correct it.. but I've just never come across a vocal puppy in this manner before! It's constantly like shes talking to us, where we'll talk to her, and she'll grunt back. It's been useful so far for us as her pitch changes when she gets something she likes, or gets something taken away like an empty food dish that she wants refilled.

Is this a common thing in GSDs?
Besides my experiences with 3 GSDs and what others have described about their GSDs....I'd say GSDs are a very "vocal" breed at times besides the obvious.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not only does my GSD "talk", but if I am directing a random conversation his way he will look at me, tilt his head (like he is really interested) and groan/grunt/whimper in reponse. Totally hilarious and one of the million reasons why I love him to bits!!
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
Not only does my GSD "talk", but if I am directing a random conversation his way he will look at me, tilt his head (like he is really interested) and groan/grunt/whimper in reponse. Totally hilarious and one of the million reasons why I love him to bits!!
I know of what you speak....LOL.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hah! It's nice to know that they're just a vocal breed. I'll try to catch some video of her grunting, but the only one I have so far is her and her squishy donut toy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yM0Pwwhs7I

Thank you for the replies! We all find the noises adorable!

Cheers!
Lapres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

She is so CUTE!!!
BorderKelpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.