German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Grunting

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BorderKelpie 
#1 ·
I've had a few dogs in my life that have all started out as puppies in my family, but little Bailey is unique. Shes 10 weeks old and grunts/groans constantly. Shes not really a barker unless there is something that catches her interest which is mostly a squeaky pig or the roses blowing in the wind.

It's not really a behavioral issue, and theres no need for me to correct it.. but I've just never come across a vocal puppy in this manner before! It's constantly like shes talking to us, where we'll talk to her, and she'll grunt back. It's been useful so far for us as her pitch changes when she gets something she likes, or gets something taken away like an empty food dish that she wants refilled.

Is this a common thing in GSDs?

#3 ·
GSD's are talkers. When I originally saw a GSD in a movie I thought they were just adding all the groans/whines/conversations etc. Then I got one in real life. They comment on everything like an advice columnist.

jelpy

#4 ·
I have 1 that started out like that. He sounded like he was in pain when he played with toys... Now at 1 and a half, he is a talker :) would not change a thing!

#5 ·
Sage is my talker. She woo-woos at me, groans, makes weird grumbling noises. I find it charming!

I took her over to my aunt's house the other day. Sage was sprawled on her side and my aunt was rubbing around on her. The noises coming out of that dog!! I've always said if you didn't know her, you would think she was growling at you. Nope. Just one vocal girl.

#7 ·
Not only does my GSD "talk", but if I am directing a random conversation his way he will look at me, tilt his head (like he is really interested) and groan/grunt/whimper in reponse. Totally hilarious and one of the million reasons why I love him to bits!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.