Strange behavior? 5 month old female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange behavior? 5 month old female

Hello everyone, long time lurker here. Great site with a lot of good information. My Gsd is a 5 month old female. She is very loving, smart, and mostly just acts like a puppy. She's a bit nippy but nothing I wouldn't expect from a pup. She is taking to the simple commands I have been teaching her well. Just last week she started loosing a lot of baby teeth and I noticed her acting a bit funny when the kids would go near hear when she was resting/sleeping. I know let sleeping dogs lie but her reaction was strange to me. She sprung upright, barked loud once lundged at my son, but did not bite or growl. She then proceeded to lick him and wag her tail. Was she startled? The other thing she did today was while eating a bone she noticed my 3 year old son standing on a chair at the counter and started barking at him like he was an intruder. My wife had to put her in her crate to get her to calm down. My thought is she didn't realize it was him because of his height while standing on a chair. Thoughts? She is a great dog, good with the kids, no food or toy aggression towards people, and gets along with my mini schnauzer. Just not sure if I'm being over cautious or not.
Choochoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

It sort of sounds as though she may have been startled. If she was disturbed by a touch or a loud noise while sleeping.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Puppies can sleep really deep. I wouldn't worry about it. But I would crate her for resting and tell the kids that the crate is off limits, no matter if the dog is crated or not.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Regarding the reaction when your child was standing on the chair, mine did the same with me when I stood on a step stool to reach something. He walked into the room and saw me, looked at me like I were a Martian and barked his fool head off til he realized it was me. He sure was confused when I got off that stool! Like it was a magic trick!
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would stress out about it...puppies do some weird things. She is also teething and probably in discomfort. Teething is almost finished. Just keep monitoring her. Doesn't seem like anything to be corcenred with.
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

actually i would worry about this a bit
you need to get it under control
you do not say how old your kids are

sleeping situation she is telling your kids not to intrude into her space when she is sleeping
which is one thing but it cannot go further than this
the fact she is bitching at them at all is a concern because it is not her place to do so
however you have allowed this to occur and thus created a bit of an issue where there should be done

as wolfy said put the dog in a crate when she sleeps and the kids are not to bother her or anything while she is sleeping

as for the bone
you need to give those in her crate and the bone stays in the crate and does not come out of it

she should never guard her crate
she should never feel she has to guard anything at all

if this pup is not in training you need to get her in a training program and start with basics
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, my kids are 3,7, and 8 years old. They can be rough with her but she tolerates it well. The startling the dog while she was sleeping does make me a bit nervous but I do agree she should be left alone during this time. It's the only time she's ever shown any kind of negative reaction to the kids. I am going to get her into obedience class ASAPand try to desensitize her to being awaken.
Choochoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Our mixed breed GSD rescue was like that if you startled her while she was sleeping. She's food-motivated, so we started waking her deliberately while she was napping and having a treat ready for her. We conditioned her to the point that she starts drooling and wagging her tail right away if you accidentally wake her up. I don't advise doing anything without the guidance of your trainer, just thought I would give you an anecdote. I do think this is something you should start working on ASAP.
Declan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Not advice, sorry. But Gunther sometimes barks at the most unusual things as well. For example, the wind knocks over the garbage can outside, he goes out, sees it, goes off. I'm not sure if he thinks someone came into the yard and messed around or what... I just show him it's ok and he stops.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't let your kids be rough with her. She's a baby, too, and needs to be protected as well. She needs to feel that YOU will step in and take care of things so she doesn't have to.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.