Puppy/crate/potty breaks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy/crate/potty breaks

Y'all bare with me I've only had my new puppy three nights. I think I am more tired than when I gave birth. First two nights we had her crate in the study and would let her out to potty when she scream out loud enough to wake us up. When we would lay by her crate and she knew we were nearby she would go back to sleep. So last night we put her crate in our room. She was easier to settle down but my husband ended up getting up three times to let her out to the bathroom. She's only 8 1/2 weeks old. Can you guys share some experience on this? Should we keep her crate in a different room at night or in our room?? How many time should we get up in the middle of the night for her to Pee?? Thanks so much !!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Alena Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Delgado came home at 9 weeks old and would need 1-3 breaks each night for the first 2-3 weeks. Their bladders are very small at that age, I had shoes, a coat, and a leash at the foot on the bed and whenever I heard him stirring or whining I'd get up. I wouldn't say a word just get dressed and clip the leash on, carry him downstairs and take him outside and once he was finished I'd scoop him back up and carry him back inside to the crate. No talking just back into the crate and I'd go back to sleep

He learned very quickly that waking me up just meant he went outside for a short time and there was no 'fun' involved so he would only wake me up if he really needed to go. Every few days I'd notice the frequency getting smaller and smaller and soon he was sleeping through the night without a peep

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Delgado came home at 9 weeks old and would need 1-3 breaks each night for the first 2-3 weeks. Their bladders are very small at that age, I had shoes, a coat, and a leash at the foot on the bed and whenever I heard him stirring or whining I'd get up. I wouldn't say a word just get dressed and clip the leash on, carry him downstairs and take him outside and once he was finished I'd scoop him back up and carry him back inside to the crate. No talking just back into the crate and I'd go back to sleep

He learned very quickly that waking me up just meant he went outside for a short time and there was no 'fun' involved so he would only wake me up if he really needed to go. Every few days I'd notice the frequency getting smaller and smaller and soon he was sleeping through the night without a peep

Thank you! So did you keep the crate in your room or in another room in the house?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena Gonzalez View Post
Thank you! So did you keep the crate in your room or in another room in the house?

In my bedroom

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

It may sound like a real pain Alena, but for those first 2-3wks Shade mentioned, I don't wait for them to make noise. My wife stays up till around 11 and I get up at 1 and 4. I always try to make it a scheduled thing from the very beginning.

It pays off later when I can have them go on command where I point them to when we're traveling or anything. I always crate them in the family room where all our dogs are too. I want them to get used to it right away and I do everything I can to not baby them. The sooner they learn to deal with certain things, the easier it is for me.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
It may sound like a real pain Alena, but for those first 2-3wks Shade mentioned, I don't wait for them to make noise. My wife stays up till around 11 and I get up at 1 and 4. I always try to make it a scheduled thing from the very beginning.

It pays off later when I can have them go on command where I point them to when we're traveling or anything. I always crate them in the family room where all our dogs are too. I want them to get used to it right away and I do everything I can to not baby them. The sooner they learn to deal with certain things, the easier it is for me.

And so when do you start stretching them to longer time periods? I feel like if she's sleeping I would not dare wake her to take her out. She's pretty verbal but if we don't sooth her back to sleep she just wines :-/ I'm sure it will get better. I'm just a sleep deprived mess lol

Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hang in there!! I so agree-it's like having a human baby as far as sleep deprivation. Some people say limit the water, but he would cry at the empty water bowl, so I didn't do that. I was going out at 12:30, 4:30, and I regularly get up at 5:30. I tried to catch up on my sleep on weekends with a morning nap and afternoon ones, too. I brought my boy home at 9 weeks.

It will get better!!! After a few weeks, he dropped one of the wake-up calls. Then, I set the alarm, so that whining did not open the crate. I was in charge. And I think an important message to puppy-you do not have to whine to get your needs met.

The crate was in my bedroom. (I also have one in my living room.). GSD require a lot of care and attention. Wait until down the road you see how much your baby is bonded to you!!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
And so when do you start stretching them to longer time periods? I feel like if she's sleeping I would not dare wake her to take her out. She's pretty verbal but if we don't sooth her back to sleep she just wines :-/ I'm sure it will get better. I'm just a sleep deprived mess lol

The latest one was holding it fine from 11 till 4, which is when I get up anyway at a little past 9wks, maybe 10wks. I know it can be tough Alena, but I'd do everything possible to ignore the whining. I wouldn't soothe her. I would worry about reinforcing something you don't want.

I also take the water away at 8:30. Fresh water all day, but gone at 8:30.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
The latest one was holding it fine from 11 till 4, which is when I get up anyway at a little past 9wks, maybe 10wks. I know it can be tough Alena, but I'd do everything possible to ignore the whining. I wouldn't soothe her. I would worry about reinforcing something you don't want.

I also take the water away at 8:30. Fresh water all day, but gone at 8:30.

I agree and that is exactly what I told my husband and my daughter. Im the tough one around here. We go to the trainer this afternoon with her and I'm sure he will reinforce that to my husband. So I think what I will do is take her out even if it means waking her up right when the last person goes to bed then set the alarm clock for three hours later. Thank you so much she's such a sweetheart and I know all the work will pay off

Old 06-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree and that is exactly what I told my husband and my daughter. Im the tough one around here. We go to the trainer this afternoon with her and I'm sure he will reinforce that to my husband. So I think what I will do is take her out even if it means waking her up right when the last person goes to bed then set the alarm clock for three hours later. Thank you so much she's such a sweetheart and I know all the work will pay off

Yeah, I wake them up. Some people may not agree, but I try to create a routine that fits my schedule and what I want to do with them from the day I bring them home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.