German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Insane barking problem!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/465442-insane-barking-problem.html)

coulter 06-30-2014 12:31 AM

Insane barking problem!!!
 
Ryker is 6 months old now and 63lbs. I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

He seems to have an obsessive barking problem when we are out of the house. He might break into a barking for while in the truck with me while I'm working. And there's nothing to bark at. The biggest problem is with other people. He will bark at anyone or anything that moves. Mainly other dogs. Whether they are near or far. And if we are close to a dog he will bark and scream and whine and do all he can to drag me towards the dog. Which he's not successful at cause I can contain him. Although, sometimes I let him drag me because I know that when he meets these dogs that he will then finally shut up.

He comes across to most people that he is mean or aggressive to other dogs. Which is not the case. All he wants to do is meet them. I've tried everything, food, toys, pinching his butt, to dragging him away and all he does is whine and bark and cry.

So what do I do?!?! Please help, the 4th is coming up and I want to be able to take him to the festivities with me.

Thanks all!!

d4mmo 06-30-2014 03:29 AM

I think the barking whilst alone is separation anxiety. Get him tired before you leave and leave chew bones/toys to keep him busy.

The pulling with other dogs is excitement. What you need to do is more engagement training. Make yourself the center of attention. Be more fun then the other dogs. Teach him to be focused only on you.
This won't happen in a day or week or month but you will eventually get there.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

d4mmo 06-30-2014 03:32 AM

Some people will tell you this is weak nerves, however I think they tend to grow out of it of trained correctly.
The one think in will not do is let him pull. You can take him to the other dog but it must be initiated by you. This will also create good leadership by you


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Maxil 06-30-2014 03:41 AM

if he just moves around and bark then that's a problem you should call a trainer for.
if he looks at sth (even if there was nothing over there) then its ok , animals can see stuff humans can't see , this might seem stupid but they see devils and Angels

Baillif 06-30-2014 07:38 AM

Barking for some dogs when it is allowed to just continue can often become a self reinforcing behavior. He doesn't need a reason to bark. He probably just likes doing it like a person might like singing in the shower. Most dogs that have this issue stop pretty quickly when given a good reason not to.

If you want to know how to stop it PM me and I'll tell you, but won't post it here because I don't feel like arguing my case with people who just don't know.

Twyla 06-30-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 5709538)
Ryker is 6 months old now and 63lbs. I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

He seems to have an obsessive barking problem when we are out of the house. He might break into a barking for while in the truck with me while I'm working. And there's nothing to bark at. The biggest problem is with other people. He will bark at anyone or anything that moves. Mainly other dogs. Whether they are near or far. And if we are close to a dog he will bark and scream and whine and do all he can to drag me towards the dog. Which he's not successful at cause I can contain him. Although, sometimes I let him drag me because I know that when he meets these dogs that he will then finally shut up.

He comes across to most people that he is mean or aggressive to other dogs. Which is not the case. All he wants to do is meet them. I've tried everything, food, toys, pinching his butt, to dragging him away and all he does is whine and bark and cry.

So what do I do?!?! Please help, the 4th is coming up and I want to be able to take him to the festivities with me.

Thanks all!!

Allowing him to drag you and meet the dogs is reinforcing the behavior. He is being rewarded for his barking.

Blanketback 06-30-2014 09:32 AM

Have you taught your pup the "Quiet" command? It's going to be harder now, since as Twyla said, you've reinforce this behavior - but it's not impossible to turn things around.

Baillif, I'm disappointed that you're keeping this to PM only, because I'm sure lots of people would like to hear your thoughts on this. Tough titties if they don't like your answer, lol.

coulter 06-30-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twyla (Post 5710306)
Allowing him to drag you and meet the dogs is reinforcing the behavior. He is being rewarded for his barking.

Yeah, I knew I was letting this happen. But at the time. In huge crowds it was worth the trouble and embarrassment to let him have his way

coulter 06-30-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5710458)
Have you taught your pup the "Quiet" command? It's going to be harder now, since as Twyla said, you've reinforce this behavior - but it's not impossible to turn things around.

Baillif, I'm disappointed that you're keeping this to PM only, because I'm sure lots of people would like to hear your thoughts on this. Tough titties if they don't like your answer, lol.

He is learning the quit command pretty well and will obey it when he is barking at random objects. But it has no effect when he sees another dog

Blanketback 06-30-2014 09:54 AM

Yup, BTDT, lol. My pup was the same. What I used to do was bring a tug with me at all times when we were in public. I assumed my puppy was barking because he wanted to play and was bored, so I'd divert his attention with the tug and use that as a reward for "Sit" lol. Little guy was very interested in the tug - that he only had access to on walks - and would instantly forget about the dogs in favor it. Plus, I didn't have to worry about enforcing "Quiet" with his mouth full :D Nowadays he's still a loudmouth but he knows what "Quiet" means, so that's not an issue.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2