I don't know what to do. I am really in need of some help. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I found this helpful for some tips. Some exercises are more advanced than for a little puppy, but you can get started on the first 3 exercises or so Schutzhund-Training.com - Obedience

Perhaps some people here can link some good training videos.

You can do it on your own if you can't find a trainer, you'll just have to do a bit more research. Stick to it, it will pay off!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

You both (the dog, you and your family need to be one entity), just as with God, sorry to say. I appreciate your honesty and your Religion, what ever that may be, you have my respect. Now, with that said; the time invested = the dog you will have 6 months to 1 year from now, you've made a huge commitment having a German Shepherd, own you and your family, put the effort in to research, ask specific questions here and the rewards will be Heaven on Earth...

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Well it is because of my family's religion. Dogs are banned in houses -_-. As I said I can't get a trainer because there is no nearby. I am trying to do my best. By the way he never gets seperation anxiety. Not really useful but thanks for your comment.
this is very interesting. just curious what religion, muslim? is this really a religious rule or a cultural/traditional thinking? can you give me some kinda link to where i can read it for myself in your bible or koran? it's actually interesting to me and i would like to be educated on this.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So what if it's cultural. Some people keep their dogs outside, even here, In America.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
this is very interesting. just curious what religion, muslim? is this really a religious rule or a cultural/traditional thinking? can you give me some kinda link to where i can read it for myself in your bible or koran? it's actually interesting to me and i would like to be educated on this.

Scar,

That piqued my curiosity as well...

Regarding the Muslim faith and the mentality towards dogs in their house....this is what I found.

Keeping dogs as pets: Why Muslims must not

To each their own I guess....just glad I'm not that "each".....for this reason alone.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Well it is because of my family's religion. Dogs are banned in houses -_-. As I said I can't get a trainer because there is no nearby. I am trying to do my best. By the way he never gets seperation anxiety. Not really useful but thanks for your comment.
Thrall,
Don't listen to the "hollier than thou" people who think all dogs should be kept inside a house because they keep their dog inside. I have seen and owned many great dogs who lived primarily outside. A dog simply needs food, shelter, companionship.
Good luck and have fun!
dpc134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
So what if it's cultural. Some people keep their dogs outside, even here, In America.
Unfortunately, most Americans think that it is cruel to keep a dog outside. Not sure why.
dpc134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think it's wrong or judgmental to be curious about another's culture. The guys were just asking for their own knowledge. It's been discussed on here before in threads from Amina. Dogs are considered unclean per their religion. Asking questions like this can only be beneficial to all in understanding a foreign culture.

OP- you need to get a kennel up to contain the puppy until he is old enough to be trusted alone. It will be MONTHS! He is out there alone and entertaining himself. Perfectly normal for a puppy.

Up your training. There is a lot of youtube videos you can watch. Look up clicker training videos. Sit, Heel, Place, Leave It, Down. All sorts of things you can learn from youtube. There are also books you can buy.
101 Dog Tricks is a decent book
101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog: Kyra Sundance, Chalcy: 9781592533251: Amazon.com: Books 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog: Kyra Sundance, Chalcy: 9781592533251: Amazon.com: Books

You can start socializing him as soon as he has his vaccinations. Socializing just means you are taking him out to view the world. It could be in a basket! lol Expose him to new things now. Surfaces, animals, noises, people.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 06-25-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc134 View Post
Unfortunately, most Americans think that it is cruel to keep a dog outside. Not sure why.

I'm from Russia. Dogs were primarily kept outside when I was there, not sure now.

I think I know why. Dogs do like to be near their owners, also, humid summers.
Also, people stealing dogs.

But everyone is different. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to keep theirs outside. It's all about the attention they get, really. I think the assumption is that if they're outside then they're neglected. A dog can be neglected inside just as easy.

I have neighbors with 2 big dogs. I barely see them outside. When I do it's 2 mins to go around the corner and back.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's how you ask a question. Nothing wrong with being interested in cultures.

Maybe I misread the question. It's hard to pick up on tones. I apologize if I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.