Crazy Puppy Problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crazy Puppy Problems

I have an 8 month old German Shepherd named Polly. We also have a 3.5 year old Malinois/Golden/Mystery mix named Starbuck and a 4 year old cat named Dharma.

We never really had any issues with Starbuck and the cat-they've always just kind of ignored each other. However, we're having a real issue with Polly and Dharma-Polly just won't leave her alone!

Normally I take Polly on 2 mile walks twice a day (in Florida) to tire her out because when she's exhausted she tends to leave her alone a little more. However, about 30 minutes after the walk she goes after her again. I've tried yelling, telling her to leave it and then giving her praise and treats when she comes to me, but less than a minute later she's after her again. She's also not very food oriented and although we keep giving them to her to try to keep her occupied she doesn't care much about rawhide bones (Starbuck is the opposite).

This week has been extra awful because Polly just had her spay surgery last week and was advised to not go on long walks until she gets her stitches out next week. This morning I heard the cat hissing/growling and yelled for Polly to come-she didn't so I walked into the other room and found Polly standing with all four legs on top of a bookcase like a mountain goat.

We have tried using child gates to give the cat an area that Polly can't get to, but Polly jumps over them, no problem. We've also purchased Dharma a cat tree and shelving for her to get up high, but Polly just stands on her rear legs or jumps up on furniture to get to her.

I have no idea what to do anymore. How can I get peace in my home?
katyaverill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a nearly 5 month GS pup that likes to antagonize my 9 yr old springer on walks. If we are on leash, I give 'heel' command, click, then treat. That keeps her focus on me not springer. If we are off leash (we have trails behind house) she has a ball in her mouth (high ball drive) or chasing ball down trail. I give commands through out ball chase so it's a reward for staying on task. But I notice if she has a ball in her mouth she can't use my springer's long ears as a tug toy. :-) hope that helps.
Ruby'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.